Takedown vs non — comparing consistency plus accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
I am interested in a Ruger stainless 10/22 rifle. Rifles are available in takedown and non-takedown versions. While being able to have the convenience of easy storage and portability of a takedown, I buy on the basis of consistent accuracy. Things that concern me.

1. Assembly from takedown will yield accuracy #1. Taken down again, then reassembled will yield accuracy #2. How closely will accuracy #2 match #1? For example, if #1 shoots 1 MOA for ten-shot magazine with specific ammunition, will #2 also shoot 1 MOA with same ammunition?

2. Over a sequence of takedown and reassembly, Does the takedown maintain the same level of accuracy. For example, using the item above, will takedown maintain the 1 MOA for ten-shot magazine with specific ammunition regardless the number of reassemblies from taken down?

3. The last concern is consistency. If the rifle's point of impact is not maintained, it really doesn't matter what the takedown rifle's accuracy level is. For example, the takedown rifle shoots 1 MOA for ten-shot magazine with specific ammunition, and when taken down then reassembled, it still shoots 1 MOA — BUT point of impact is an inch to the left and half-inch high from point of aim. Such inconsistency is unacceptable for a small game rifle.
Anyone who owns a Ruger takedown version 10/22 rifle, please let me know the level of consistent accuracy I should expect.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Naphtali said:
For example, if #1 shoots 1 MOA for ten-shot magazine with specific ammunition...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you find ANY factory 10/22 that shoots ten shots in 1 MOA, please let us know! :lol:

That said, the truth is that every gun and ammo combination is a law unto itself, and nowhere is this more true than with .22s. Others can post their own particular experiences with a takedown 10/22, but these will be no guarantee that YOURS would shoot that well (or that poorly).

From the general tone of your post, I suspect you would be happier overall with a non-takedown 10/22. That will give you all the challenges you need getting to "1 MOA" without the added possible complications of the takedown feature. :wink:

My takedown has a Tactical Solutions barrel on it. At 25 yards it puts five shots into a ragged hole. When taken apart and put back together I can't notice any change in POI. When I had the factory barrel on it there was no apparent change as well.
Easy to shoot squirrels in the head out to about 50 yards.

I haven't shot it with a scope as of yet, but I have a Burris 2-7 I am thinking of putting on it to see how accurate it is. I still will keep the red dot on it. My particular gun loves CCI MiniMag HP's.

From a mechanical standpoint, it's simply not possible for a "slip fit" barrel to receiver connection (TD version) to have the consistency of a clamped together fit of the standard 10-22. If using an optic mounted to the receiver, the chances of maintaining a precise POI are questionable. As Rumrunner commented, this may not be an issue or it might with a different rifle. Quite often I see a noticeable change in POI when R & R a standard 10-22 barrel so would expect similar or increased probability with built in or due to wear from being taken down tolerances of the TD system.
Most of the comments I've seen followed this line: The TD is adequate for use as a short range plinker or small game gun in an emergency scenario (using the barrel mounted open sights). I see the TD as a novelty item but that's just my opinion. FWIW: Most of the factory barreled 10-22's I've shot are in the 4MOA accuracy category.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
I've shot are in the 4MOA accuracy category.
That's similar to my own experiences. I've found that they'll shoot somewhere between 1 1/4" and 1 3/4" at 50 yards (scoped). If you find the ammo a particular rifle likes, and maybe do some tuning, you can get down to right around an inch at 50, possibly a little better if you're lucky. If you need more accuracy than that, you're probably looking at an aftermarket barrel.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Any Ruger 10/22 that prints groups at 50 yards within one-inch, or even 1½ inches, which is "minute-of-squirrel-noggin", scoped, has a very apt combination to get the job done.

jjas

Single-Sixer
SGW Gunsmith said:
Any Ruger 10/22 that prints groups at 50 yards within one-inch, or even 1½ inches, which is "minute-of-squirrel-noggin", scoped, has a very apt combination to get the job done.

I would agree.

Shooting my bone stock 10/22 with a Nikon 4x scope, I can hit golf balls (which are a bit over 1.5" in diameter) @ 50 yards off a shooting bench all day.

That's good enough for squirrel hunting in my book.

Instead of a take down model, how about a 16" light weight barrel with compact stock? The overall length wouldn't be very much and the total weight shouldn't be too much either.

I have one of those Tactical Solutions barrels. It's aluminum on the outside which makes very easy to carry and transport.

Latest posts