Synthetic frames

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buscadero

Single-Sixer
I was told at a gun shop that I should only use cleaning solvents and oils that have " Safe to use on Polymer" printed on it.
Breakfree, Hoppes and others will eat at or discolor (turn white) the Polymer. Anyone know about this? :?
Thanks
Jim

martyj

Blackhawk
I know alot of people that use break free on plastic guns and not to sure springfield armory didnt make a video using it to clean a xdm.
I would make sure that you dont get ahold of anything that is chlorinated like the auto stuff used to be. Unless you want a rough textured grip.

mekender

Single-Sixer
I use hoppes on my SR-9 and my 10/22 without any problems... countless people use it on their AR without issues... sounds like another gun counter tale of hogwash...

jhearne

Buckeye
Most won't, but to be safe, like martyj said, cleaners WITHOUT Chlorinated anything would be wise.

Hoppe's 9 and CLP Breakfree are safe for polymer framed guns. A number of others are too....just don't use Brake or Carb Cleaner or other heavy automotive degreasers on any plastic/polymer parts, at the very least it can remove any paint on the guns (Fire/Safety markings mainly) and if they don't deteriorate the frame, they can atleast discolor it.

Josh

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Breakfree CLP and Hoppe's are completely safe for polymer framed pistols as are most gun oils and greases.

Some of the more agressive cleaners and solvents may not be. Certainly anything with a chlorinated solvent would be suspect.

Birchwood Casey makes a version of their aerosol "Gun Scrubber" that claims to be "synthetic safe" and it has worked very well on my Glock, M&P9, SR9 etc. I really don't know if the earlier version of this product is synthetic safe and I have no reason to find out.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
There is a version of Gun Scrubber that will turn your synthetic frame white. It's not permanent, but it's a huge pain in the ass to get off. Trust me.

railroader

Single-Sixer
Ruger polymer is definitely different then other polymer handguns. I have used regular gun scrubber and brake cleaner on several different polymer handguns with no problems. I sprayed regular gun scrubber on my P97 and it did discolor the frame. I now only use polymer safe gun scrubber both my p97 and p95 frames. I still use brake cleaner on the slides and barrels. Mark

P90

Single-Sixer
I ask a Ruger Rep what was the best to use on polymer to keep it looking good and he told me warm Mineral Oil. I put a little on me Polymer frames now and then, and they look good.

Mike J

Hunter
The main thing I try to watch is if I use gunscrubber to make sure it is polymer safe. If I use brake cleaner I try to make sure it's non chlorinated.