Switching press type.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gmaske

Bearcat
Made the move tonight to switch from the Lee Pro 1000 to a Lee Classic Turret press. I liked the Pro but it didn't really meet my needs. For a guy that would need lots of a given load they are great. You can set it up and crank em out. I need a press that is easy to change calibers on and the Pro is kind of a pain. I ended up buying two of them so I could load a second caliber. The trouble with that was I really didn't have the room for a second press so I would have to unbolt one to use the other. Now I'm loading for a rifle too so I had to come up with a better solution. The Lee Turret is quick and easy to change from one caliber to another. That and the fact that it is much easier to adjust for diffrent bullets and powders just makes it much more practical for me. Now I've gotta face the wrath of the little lady when the UPS truck shows up.
Anybody interested in either one? One is set up for 45ACP and the other is set up for 38/357. The 38/357 has never been out of the box! Both have the bullet feeder and case collator. I also have everything to switch a Pro 1000 over to the 38/357 except the dies. All this stuff has to go!

gmaske

Bearcat
MADISON":6qyw0b7h said:
...and you think you have press problems.
I have:
30 year old Rock Chucker
1989 Hornady Projector
9 Lyman T-Mags
All these presses are used daily...

I still have my first press which is a RCB Partner and it's great little press! It comes in handy for odd or small little jobs. The reason for the switch is it wasn't really what I needed. I got sucked in to the "Progressive Press Hype" and really didn't stop to consider what I really needed. It isn't really practical unless you need a lot of one load week after week and you don't need or want to change settings. Don't get me wrong. It's a great machine and can do a lot of things but it is more of a pain to change or set up something diffrent for it to run. I'm kind of half tempted to keep one of the Pro's but I doubt it would get much use. As I stated before, my loading area is fairly small so I need something that will be a jack of all trades. You can see what I mean. This was a shot from when I first built this bench. There is a whole bunch more "STUFF" on and around it now.
IMG_1267.jpg

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Can't help 'splain to SHMBO why the brown truck's stopping in front of the house...

But I know what it's like to have too small an area to work in, too. And it seems I have more presses and shotshell loaders than will fit in anything but a "real" shop. So I mounted all of 'em on wooden bases that can be "quick-changed" leaving one press on the bench, the others on a shelf in a closet while they're not being used.

The bases can be held down w/ big C-clamps, as I did for years, or they can all be drilled w/ the same pattern so they can be bolted directly to the bench as I do now. It only takes four 1/4-20 bolts w/ wing nuts to hold things together solidly enough to be able to lift the bench w/ a press handle. It's fast enough, though C-clamps are still faster to change, and they serve well in the closet, too.

Maybe if you can find a way to "hide" some of your presses from Mama's immediate view, you can go ahead and keep all your stuff? ;)

Rick C