Surgeries in my life

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Danjet500

Buckeye
My wife asked me the number of major surgeries I've had in my life. I'm in my late 60s and have had a few. I've had ACL (knee twice) 1982, lumbar 1991, prostate 2001, kidney cancer 2007 and cataract 2021, surgeries. These are all I consider major that if didn't go as planned I could have major issues. Cataract was fairly routine but I feel great and hope that I'm through with all major medical problems for a while if not ever.

eveled

Hunter
Amazing how they stack up over a lifetime, isn’t it? My list includes toncilectomy, both rotator cuffs, carpel tunnel both hands, 2 hernia repairs.

Add in dental, hearing and vision care around $1,000,000 in bills LOL.

We are lucky they can put us back together again. I would have been disabled at a very young age otherwise.

Wow. 9 knee surgeries including a replacement, rotator cuff overhaul, two carpal tunnel surgeries and so many basal cell surgeries I can't count them all. At 69, I've been a busy person and it's taken a toll. I can't imagine our ancestors being even more beat up, but mostly never had a chance at receiving the medical miracles we now have easily at our disposal.

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
Left hand for Dupuytren's contracture. Removal of a large cyst in the groin. Left eye to repair a cataract. I don't count the many stitches I have managed to acquire over the years while working on cars and helicopters.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Well, Let me see: Knee surgery for torn miniscule cartalage, Cataract surgery on both eyes (worked GREAT) and Lumbar surgery on 3,4,& 5 which fixed the problem of lightening bolts down the back of both legs when I sneezed.

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
I'm 72 on Tuesday=since I turned 60, I have broken both ankles (same time), little finger (steel plate), right humerus, & left kneecap (twice). Previously: broken toes (4x), right thumb (should've had a screw), a neck vertebra, several compression fractures in my lower back, one tumor removed. Just spent 5 days in CCU (2x last year and 6 weeks in ICU& rehab in 2019). ER 6-10 times.

Over 20 years as a Wildlife Biologist and a lifetime hunter, I have been shot once, bitten by one poisonous snake, one scorpion, a barracuda (fishing as a kid), a bear (scratched while doing my thesis), clawed by an African lion (a small cub climbed up my chest when scared), jelly-fished and stung by a stingray.

As George Burns said, growing old isn't so bad when you consider the alternative!

mcgivern

Bearcat
I guess I have been fortunate. I will turn 87 next month and had my tonsils out at age three (1938), cataract surgery on both eyes at age 81 (outpatient) and cancer surgery at age 85 (2020). Doctors could not believe I had not been in the hospital for 82 years (1938 to 2020). Even the hospital Administrator came to see me and find out how I managed to stay so healthy for so long. Still very active and that helps.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I had Ureteroscopy surgery to break up a large kidney stone with a laser just two weeks ago. Second time with my left kidney. No fun.:(

wolfsong

Staff member
I had Ureteroscopy surgery to break up a large kidney stone with a laser just two weeks ago. Second time with my left kidney. No fun.:(

Been there, done that, wore about the T-shirt. The only thing worse than kidney stones, in my experience, is the shingles.

wolfsong

Staff member
Left hand for Dupuytren's contracture. Removal of a large cyst in the groin. Left eye to repair a cataract. I don't count the many stitches I have managed to acquire over the years while working on cars and helicopters.

I had surgery on my right hand a few years back tor Depuytren's Contracture. Now I'm facing the same for my left hand. By the way, it has returned on my right hand between my ring finger and middle finger. First time was between my pinkie and ring finger. I'll have to wait and see how the situation progresses. 😦

hittman

Staff member
Yikes! :oops:

I feel really sorry for you guys and all the multiple health hiccups! God has really smiled on me. I’m 63 and only had 1 surgery in my entire life!

krw

Blackhawk
6x L knee. 2 Acl/Mcl meniscus. 1 to remove hdw. 2 total replacements (13mo period, cow kicked out first one) , and had to redo closure below knee on 2nd replacement

vito

Hunter
I’ve had a few myself including a kidney removed for renal cancer, quintuple coronary bypass, bi-lateral knee replacements, hernia repair, cataract removals, partial corneal replacements, but the worst of all was a thoracotomy. Some broken ribs collapsed my lung and a surgeon inserted a chest tube to fix the lung, only to introduce a staph infection. Within a day I was close to death and had to undergo the thoracotomy where they went thru my back into the lung to remove five quarts of pus. After the 9 hour surgery I was in Intensive Care for 31 days. Took me almost two years to fully recover. Made all the other surgeries seem like a walk in the park. I turn 79 next week and hope I am done with surgery forever, even knowing I need a shoulder replacement that I am avoiding.

Johnny-Baseball

Bearcat
Six surgeries so far: tonsillectomy at age 6 (or so), double compound fracture (right wrist) surgically mis-repaired while in Thailand in the USAF, vasectomy, prostate surgery, cyst removed from L5 vertebrae, two years later L 4-5-6 vertebrae fusion. Needed but not surgically repaired: rotator cuff, severed bicep, knee, elbow. I don't count dental work.

dstegjas

Bearcat
As for major surgeries I’ve only had one, a double by-pass 5 years ago. The doc said there was no damage to the heart and I was good to go. Everything else over the years has just been cuts and broken bones. I consider myself pretty lucky at 65 when you read through everyone’s posts.

toysoldier

Hunter
My total is 26:
tonsillectomy (age 4); anterior spinal fusion for spondylolisthesis (age 12); septoplasty and turbinate resection; repair of ruptured Achilles tendon; arthroscopy L knee with resection of plica; laparoscopic cholecystectomy; cystoscopy, stent placement, and extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy for ureteral calculus; hydrocelectomy; cystoscopy with removal of stones from urethra and bladder; umbilical herniorrhaphy; arthroscopy with meniscectomy, L knee; arthroscopy with meniscectomy, R knee; repeat hydrocelectomy; cystoscopy, laser lithotripsy w/stent placement; implantation and removal of Reveal cardiac monitor; Laser vaporization of prostate; cataract extraction with implant, L and R; cystoscopy, laser lithotripsy of calcification of prostatic urethra, bladder stone and ureteral calculi; ESWL R kidney; ESWL L kidney; arthroscopy L shoulder with rotator cuff repair and sub-acromial decompression; secondary cataract procedure, both eyes; flexor tenotomy toes 2,3,4,5 both feet; flexor tendon release for trigger thumb R.

Do I win?