SuperBlackhawk Hunter Grip Frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

support_six

Bearcat
My recently purchased Stainless .357 Blackhawk with 6½" barrel (rosewood grips, no safety) might feel more comfortable in my medium-large hands with a Super Blackhawk Hunter grip frame (I like the rounded guard). Does anyone have a picture of a 6½" stainless .357 with a Super Hunter grip frame? How about a blued model Super Blackhawk grip frame?

Thanks

flatgate

Hawkeye
How about a pic of a 7-1/2 inch .45 with a Hunter grip frame and Super hammer?
52725233.jpg

My FAVORITE big bore shooter!

flatgate

support_six

Bearcat
Yes, that's what I wanted to see. How does it feel? Did it make the muzzle feel a bit less heavy. The .357 has so much more metal in the front end (smaller bore diameter with same outside barrel diameter) and the stainless ejector shroud that the standard blackhawk grip frame, even though stainless rather than aluminum, just makes the whole thing seem front heavy with the smaller grip.

Is there a "favored" smith who makes this conversion? I don't want to fit or finish the frame myself.

Any other photos?

flatgate

Hawkeye
It's my favorite New Model. The grip frame does indeed help to balance the gun.

Fitting a grip frame isn't all that hard. A file and some patience is all that's needed.

JMHO,

flatgate

EDK

Single-Sixer
I have 3 VAQUEROS with HUNTER grip frames bolted on. It's a "roll of the dice" on how well they will fit your frame, but it's pretty easy to take off the current grip frame and see how the HUNTER fits. All it takes is a screwdriver, the instructions in the owners phamphlet, a paper clip AND a little patience....sometimes a few curses getting the cylinder lock plunger lined up also!

I had the grip frames fitted while having a trigger/action job done by Jim Stroh (ALPHA PRECISION) last May. It would be a good time to have a SUPER BLACKHAWK hammer fitted.

If you wanted to get something really neat, get BISLEY parts fitted. I'm not sure which I like better....DRAGOON/HUNTER or BISLEY in an otherwise identical gun

support_six

Bearcat
Well, I bought a stainless Hunter grip frame from ruger, and will soon get to work fitting it. One thing though, the two rounded tabs that house the two horizontal screws that hold the grip frame to the cylinder frame, and the sides of the piece that supports the trigger guard, are quite rough and not finished like the rest of the grip. Does anyone know what grit sandpaper would match the rest of the standard Ruger stainless finish?

Any other advice on fitting this bad boy?

Thanks in advance.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I use a Mill Bastard file to get things coarsely fitted. Keep the file clean!

I use the cylindrical sanding drum on my Dremel tool to shape the
two "ears" that surround the hammer well.

I believe Ruger's finish is more like 320 grit than 600...... but a "almost worn out" green Scotch-Brite pad works like a champ.

JMHO,

flatgate

support_six

Bearcat
flatgate":2gnc8lt9 said:
I use a Mill Bastard file to get things coarsely fitted. Keep the file clean!

I use the cylindrical sanding drum on my Dremel tool to shape the
two "ears" that surround the hammer well.

I believe Ruger's finish is more like 320 grit than 600...... but a "almost worn out" green Scotch-Brite pad works like a champ.

JMHO,

flatgate

Thanks guys! Flatgate, I knew those ears probably had names and descriptions better than mine.

Redstick, PM coming back. Perhaps we're neighbors!