Super Wrangler versus Single Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mirglip

Single-Sixer
One difference is about 70 years track record. Single Sixes have been around long enough for us to know that we can shoot dozens of bricks through them and they are still tight and accurate. I have at least a half dozen Single Sixes and they average 50 years old. I bought all of them used. They all have a 0.004" cylinder gap. They look like single actions looked 150 years ago, except for the adjustable sights on some. Some are beat up and freckled but none of them look like they were painted with flat black Rustoleum. Someone told me his new Wrangler had a .007" cylinder gap. That's what my Uberti has and it groups like buckshot. Why would I even consider a Wrangler when there are so many used SS's to be had for a little more? A Single Six in "fair" condition is worth more to me than a new Wrangler because I know the internals are still like new.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I just bought a Bearcat Shopkeeper so any need I had for a Wrangler is pretty much dead , I don't think I'll be able to shoot enough .22 through it to wear it out

mirglip

Single-Sixer
This thread reminds me that many gun buyers have as much "fear of used guns" as I have "fear of newer guns". I just checked my records and I see the newest Single Six I have was made in 1982. I don't like to buy them any newer than that because quality has declined since then.
If you watch Gunbroker you'll see that used Colt and Ruger single action 22's sell according to cosmetic condition. Also, a gun with both cylinders and the original box will sell at a huge premium over ones that don't, in spite of the fact that most buyers don't use the magnum cylinder.
A 50 year old Colt or Ruger in pristine condition with box and both cylinders will go for $600-$750 and are worth it compared to anything you buy now.
But here is the lesson on how to buy a Single Six:
A 50 year old Single Six with nicks in the grips and 30% of the blueing worn off is mechanically and internally 95% as good as a pristine one and sells for half the price without the box and magnum cylinder.
For $350- $400 you get a gun that will shoot as good or better than a new gun, will shoot less than 3" groups easily at 25 yards, has tight lockup and cylinder gap and perfect timing...a gun you aren't afraid to carry on horseback or in the muddy woods and will digest another 40 bricks of ammo.
I admit I have never even so much as held a Wrangler in my hand. I am still waiting for seasoned Wrangler shooters to tell me "I have shot 30 bricks through my Wrangler, it groups 3" or less at 25 yards and still has a 4 thousandths cylinder gap, I love it".
Most of my collection of Colt and Ruger (and one Uberti) 22's:

Attachments

• Single 22's 002.JPG
    Single 22's 002.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 73

Hankus

Blackhawk
I have multiple Single-Sixes and my first pistol, an OM Bearcat. I stopped by a LGS today during lunch and they had a new gold Cerakote Super Wrangler sitting in the case for $299 . After a quick examination I bought it and will test it out this weekend. It seemed a LOT more substantial than the original Wranglers, and the free-spin pawl was nice. My plan is to get a birdshead grip frame and use it to train my elder grandson, with the plan to gift it to him in a few years.

xtratoy

Buckeye
I have multiple Single-Sixes and my first pistol, an OM Bearcat. I stopped by a LGS today during lunch and they had a new gold Cerakote Super Wrangler sitting in the case for $299 . After a quick examination I bought it and will test it out this weekend. It seemed a LOT more substantial than the original Wranglers, and the free-spin pawl was nice. My plan is to get a birdshead grip frame and use it to train my elder grandson, with the plan to gift it to him in a few years.
How did it do?

Musket104

Bearcat
Availability seems a bit tight so far. Normal with a new gun it seems. Only one of the large within-driving-distance firearm emporiums listed it on their website and they had a single example. Missed out on that one but will persevere! 😁

Hankus

Blackhawk
Well, I thought since grip frames can be pricey and take a little work to fit I went ahead and ordered a Talo special Birdshead Wrangler from Davidson's. It has the Cobalt Cerakote finish and came with a Desantis holster and wood grips too, for a grand total of ~$245 delivered to a LGS. I'm taking them both to a local indoor range this afternoon, hopefully.

Star43

Blackhawk
Here in central California, you can't find a single six. All you see are Heritages and Wranglers. I did see a Super Wrangler not long ago and got to check it out. From looking at it, it looks like a New Model SS.......but when you pick it up and check it all out.....sure it puts the Heritage to shame, but it's not as good as the original Single Six.....it's ok, but it's not a Single Six, in my own opinion. I'm partial to be honest, as I own a few of the single sixes, and love all of them. Star43

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
I have both the Single Six in Stainless and a Wrangler.....They both shoot well and are quite similar but for $175 .....but a Wrangler will never be a Single Six.
The Wrangler fills a niche for low end revolver market ( probably goin after the Heritage Rough Rider )
I like them both for what they are.

DGW1949

Hunter
The same argument can be made for the 10/22 & Mini 14......No more metal buttplate, trigger group, barrel band, or walnut stock on the 10/22..... No more forged mini 14 or ranch rifle receivers .... now it's cast.....and the scope rings no longer included if memory serves.....That being said the 10/22 is as awesome as ever.... and the Mini 14 is quite a bit more accurate than the old ones with the pencil barrel
......."No more forged mini 14 or ranch rifle receivers".....I don't remember any series of Mini-14 having a forged receiver, or for that matter, a forged bolt either....Maybe if it had of, the short-lived .308 version would not have been a flop.

DGW

Star43

Blackhawk
I just hope they keep making the Single Six. Seriously I have visited gun shops from Stockton to Fresno here in the valley, and no Single Six can be seen. I tell all of sales clerks, as that is the best I can call them, is that I'm "old school" and have single sixes, and was thinking of getting another. I just get a dum look and they they don't remember the last time a SS was in their shop. "All people want now are Heritages or Wranglers" I have heard this line countless times. I don't know about other parts of the country. I only know about where I am here. California, the land of fruits and nuts. I have been here over 37 years but from New England, God bless the Single Six.

mirglip

Single-Sixer
I just hope they keep making the Single Six. Seriously I have visited gun shops from Stockton to Fresno here in the valley, and no Single Six can be seen. I tell all of sales clerks, as that is the best I can call them, is that I'm "old school" and have single sixes, and was thinking of getting another. I just get a dum look and they they don't remember the last time a SS was in their shop. "All people want now are Heritages or Wranglers" I have heard this line countless times. I don't know about other parts of the country. I only know about where I am here. California, the land of fruits and nuts. I have been here over 37 years but from New England, God bless the Single Six.
New gun buyers seem to be focused on price point. Gun shops aren't always the place to find used guns. I go to pawn shops and Gunbroker. I would much rather have a used Single Six than a new Wrangler. I avoid revolvers made after 1985.

rem58sport

Bearcat
As an associate says, "Luck and cash." I wonder in to my LGS in my simi large N. Calif city about every 6 months. Last time in there was a 1970 3-screw never converted single six that had been on consignment for almost 6-months. No one could explain why it was still there. I couldn't do the deal at a 20% discount fast enough. An unheard of find here. It has become my favorite SA .22. Keep looking!

Pawn shops here have an abundance of NM Single Sixes. But they want high $500 or more. I would rather take my time and find a nice 3 Screw on GB for $300-$400. It can be done with patience.

Star43

Blackhawk
That find on northern CA sounds like a buy of a lifetime! Good for you. When you mention about guns before 1985 are good, I agree as most of mine are older than that. Although when I moved here 1986, I bought a new arrow/house SS, not really knowing what it was. It came with just one cylinder. Lo and behold in 1993, I bought another Single Six when Ruger had a special promotion going with a large GS in Modesto, since out of business. A couple of Ruger guys were there and I got a good deal. I bought it with the intention of giving it to my son, who was a baby, when he was old enough, which I did. It was kept in the box untouched for close to 25 years and when I took it out, it ends up being another arrow/house gun ! They only made them for 3 1/2 months in summer of '86. How odd it was that I bought a "new Single Six" from a Ruger promotion about 7 years after it was made !! Yes, it is true that a pawn shop would be the place to find a used older model. Most pawn shops in the valley have dropped selling guns and the ones that do, want 2 arms & 2 legs for them. I'm patient. No rush.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
......."No more forged mini 14 or ranch rifle receivers".....I don't remember any series of Mini-14 having a forged receiver, or for that matter, a forged bolt either....Maybe if it had of, the short-lived .308 version would not have been a flop.

DGW
Here's a picture of an early Mini 14 on the left with a current Mini 14 ranch rifle on the right. The picture of the receiver and the casting line says it all. Ruger has definitely changed the Mini 14 receivers along with sights, stocks, barrels, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_5498.jpg
    IMG_5498.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

wproct

Single-Sixer
What is going on right now with the Single-six and the Super Wrangler reminds me of the famous Remington 870 Fieldmaster pump shotguns of long ago and the newer 870 Express shotguns. Most of the cost differential was in the dull matte finish and the plastic or laminated stocks on the Express. For me, I'm glad I have my blued steel Super Single-six and I hope to buy another in stainless steel when I come onto a good price.