Super Single Six Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Put

Single-Sixer
I would like to purchase a new Super Single Six. I have a Liberty Model, but I share it with my Dad. We bought it together when I turned 16 in 1976. He has retired and moved about 2 hours away. It has made the trip back and forth a few times but it needs to stay with him. So I need a new Six and I really like the looks of the new ones with the black grips.

Do the new models have the reverse indexing pawl like the New Vaqueros? Are there any differences in the new ones verses my 76 model?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
The current ones will have the internal locking system under those black grips. Otherwise, same thing.

Hokie73

Bearcat
The Single Six is on a smaller cylinder frame, I do not think the Power Custom parts will fit. My new one does not have the indexing pawl like on the new full size cylinder frames, either.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Power Custom makes both half cock hammer/trigger sets and free spin pawls for the Single Six.
The half cock function makes the chambers line up when it clicks.
I freewheel all my NM rugers and then it's a non issue if there is no click, you don't have to worry about how its lined up when it clicks.

If you want the half cock function and a transfer bar, you would probably be money ahead finding a converted OM Single Six than buying a NM and putting a PC kit in it.

wwb

Hunter
Aggie01":1zaqv8ge said:
.......If you want the half cock function and a transfer bar, you would probably be money ahead finding a converted OM Single Six than buying a NM and putting a PC kit in it.

Better idea yet..... score an UNconverted old model, and use it as-is.

Ruber

Single-Sixer

You'll probably save money too, I just picked up this one for $225...
SingleSix10.jpg

And someone will have the black grips if you really want them...

street

Hunter
Ruber":3b6dxohw said:

You'll probably save money too, I just picked up this one for $225...
SingleSix10.jpg

And someone will have the black grips if you really want them...

That's a great buy for $225. Of course the black grips won't fit an old model Super Single Six. You could change the grip frame from a XR3-RED to a XR3 and use the Hard Rubber grips that the Old Model Flattops and Flatgates used, but that would cost a lot of money to change.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
street":2o77y8uh said:
That's a great buy for $225. Of course the black grips won't fit an old model Super Single Six. You could change the grip frame from a XR3-RED to a XR3 and use the Hard Rubber grips that the Old Model Flattops and Flatgates used, but that would cost a lot of money to change.
It is a shooter, no box or papers, turn lines, some black missing from the eagles, seem to be plenty of them around.

As for the grips, the black take-offs from the NM blackhawks seem to fit fine, they may not be as nice as the ones off the New Vaquero, but I thought they were the same as the NM Single Six anyway.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I bought a new single six with the 4 5/8" bbl and it has become my favorite pistol. I may be crazy but I wouldn't trade it for a brand new old model. That's just my opinion but I have 9 new model blackhawks and supers. I have had a bunch of the old models and like the new models. The 4 clicks arent that important to me. All the new ones shoot fine I have every cal. ruger currently makes and 3 convertables most have the 4 5/8 bbl's except for the 30 carbine that was never offered with it and a super with 7 1/2. I changed the grip frame on the super and went to the round trigger guard and I like pachmayr grips so all my rugers have the same grips on them the presentation grip that way they all feel the same no matter which one I want to shoot. I like them all and shoot them all fairly well. I'm not a collector I'm a shooter and the new ones do fine for me.

street

Hunter
Ruber":qvmix8jf said:
street":qvmix8jf said:
It is a shooter, no box or papers, turn lines, some black missing from the eagles, seem to be plenty of them around.

As for the grips, the black take-offs from the NM blackhawks seem to fit fine, they may not be as nice as the ones off the New Vaquero, but I thought they were the same as the NM Single Six anyway.

I guess you are right. I was thinking that the Black Grips on the Blackhawks and Single-Sixs was the same as the "New Vaquero". After looking on the Ruger's Web Site it looks as if they will fit the XR3-RED frame, which is what your Super Single-Six is.

All Vaqueros are New Models even the Old Model Vaqueros are New Models.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Street,
Actually you were right when considering the newest ones, I was thinking about the NM wood take-offs, the black plactic grip panels on the new single actions with internal locks have a slightly different shape and size, they will fit, but not look the best...

Latest posts