Super Redhawk Scope Options?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

motoputz

Bearcat
I've been toying with the idea of a scope for my 7.5" barrelled super redhawk and am curious what choices are out there. I like the iron sights and have become really comfortable with them, but, with my eyes going farther south as I get older a scope may be the right choice after all. I'll be using this gun to hunt deer and possibly black bear
What are your choices and why?
Thanks

MaxP

Buckeye
My favorite option is the Ultradot 30 used with 30mm Ruger rings. It fits perfectly between the ring space offered, and in my experience there probably is no tougher sight in existence. I have literally abused various Ultradot 30s relentlessly and they just keep working. In my opinion they are the best option in low light hunting situations as well and are much easier to acquire in a hurry than a scope. The one below has lived through thousands of full-tilt .475 Linebaugh, .500 Linebaugh, and .500 JRH loads and dropped twice out of a tree stand. It's still kicking.

P1010548.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Listen to Max. He has a lot of hunting experience behind his words.
I also have a "few" scoped handguns. (Over 20) and I use them, as well as dots. For the purposes you've mentioned, a red dot is an excellent choice. If more precision is desired, then a scope is a better way to go. But we are talking paper punching here. A scope WILL show you the shakes a lot more. Plus, handgun scopes are not as good at light gathering as rifle scopes. They are a little better than naked eyes,,, but a lot less than good binoculars. I use both a LOT in my handgun hunting.
I have UltraDot's, C-More's, & Burris dot optics, as well as top quality scopes. I have Leupold, (1st choice,) Burris, Redfield, T/C, Weaver & Simmons scopes. I only use top quality glass on my recoiling handguns.

I like the dot type optics to where I actually have 3 spares for future gun additions just sitting in my safe. For the money, UltraDot & C-More are the best in my book.

Welcoe.

I also like the 30mm UltraDot. I have used them on 44's, 480 Ruger, and Ar15's. They are a little quicker to use then a scope to me. For bear the red dot is easier to see then the black crosshairs. I prefer the red dots when shooting freehand or with a minimal rest.

I have a two encore handgun barrels, one in 44 with a 2x scope and one in 223 with a 2x6 scope. A good rest helps when shooting these.

If possible try and shoot both options and decide.

motoputz

Bearcat
Thanks guys for the input. I have never used a red dot, but, I do like the size. They just look right on a pistol and the fact they fit the Ruger scope rings is a bonus. Whats a fair price for the Ultradot 30? I've found $170 and up online? More affordable then a Leupold!(Which is my favorite rifle scope, I have 4 Leupold's on my various long guns).
MaxP ...that is one sweet, compact rig you've shared with us. Thanks for the picture.

$170 is a good price. What caliber is your SRH. I have one in 480 and one in 44. Both have barrels cut down, 4.75" on the 480 and 5" on the 44. That picture that MaxP posted is what made me want a shorter barreled SRH.

motoputz

Bearcat
Mine is a 44. I looked around for months for a shorter barrel, found a 5.5" on gunbroker but lost it at the last minute. I've grown to like the 7.5" barrel though.

MaxP

Buckeye
motoputz said:
MaxP ...that is one sweet, compact rig you've shared with us. Thanks for the picture.

Thanks! That one is a custom SRH in .500 Linebaugh.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
One thing I've found with my limited experience with a scoped handgun (7.5" Super Blackhawk) is that the higher power variables are a bit wasted on a handgun. Mine has a 2x-8x, and the higher power is extremely distracting by showing off all "wobble", even when rested. I leave mine set at 3x.

My advice is to take the extra money that would be spent on a variable, and use it to buy a better quality fixed power of 2x or 3x. Definitely nothing higher than 4x.

Aqualung

motoputz

Bearcat
Aqualung said:
One thing I've found with my limited experience with a scoped handgun (7.5" Super Blackhawk) is that the higher power variables are a bit wasted on a handgun. Mine has a 2x-8x, and the higher power is extremely distracting by showing off all "wobble", even when rested. I leave mine set at 3x.

My advice is to take the extra money that would be spent on a variable, and use it to buy a better quality fixed power of 2x or 3x. Definitely nothing higher than 4x.

Aqualung

I agree, I went the super 24x rifle scope at first on my rifles and went to minimal power scopes in the long run! The super power work for varmints where I'm on a steady bench and at long distances(400+ yards), but for hunting I find myself at 3x, 4x for most situations if not all situations and most if not all of these are under 150 yards. I don't subscribe to the "long range" mentality. I'd rather hunt & stalk as my idol Fred Bear would hunt ...that is satisfaction and something I want to "try" with my Super Redhawk 44mag.

motoputz

Bearcat
MaxP said:
motoputz said:

Thanks! That one is a custom SRH in .500 Linebaugh.

Oh yeah
You've inspired a few of us, so a custom .500 Linebaugh is very good!!!
m

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
MaxP said:
My favorite option is the Ultradot 30 used with 30mm Ruger rings. It fits perfectly between the ring space offered, and in my experience there probably is no tougher sight in existence. I have literally abused various Ultradot 30s relentlessly and they just keep working. In my opinion they are the best option in low light hunting situations as well and are much easier to acquire in a hurry than a scope. The one below has lived through thousands of full-tilt .475 Linebaugh, .500 Linebaugh, and .500 JRH loads and dropped twice out of a tree stand. It's still kicking.

P1010548.jpg

This scope definitely goes with the this gun. Nice and compact.