Super Redhawk quandary

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm in a bit of a quandary here.

I recently purchased a Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger,,, target gray,,,, rings,, with the 9-1/2" bbl. See,,, I didn't really need the gun,,, but it had a lot of extras I could use. (Brass,,, bullets,, factory ammo etc.)
I already have a 7-1/2" one just like it. I also have the Bisley Super Blackhawk. So,, my 480 NEEDS are covered.

My quandary is what to do with it. Should I just keep it,,, or sell it to someone else who needs a 480 like this?????

I rarely sell any of my Rugers,,, as I hate "seller remorse". So I'm a bit torn here.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
For some reason, this reminded me of what I taught my firearms students regarding a tactical reload - If the thought ever enters your mind "should I reload?" then the answer is always YES. That thought won't occur to you if you are in the midst of combat, but only during a lull, and after shots have been fired.

Same thing here - if the thought has entered your mind that selling is a good idea, then it probably is. As you said, your "needs" are covered. If you're ready to move it on, then move it on.

BTW - I just got a SBH 6 1/2" in .480 - they are a handful! :D

Good luck!

hittman

Staff member
Flip it.
They're plentiful and not hugely popular.
Take the money you get for it and buy reloading supplies, ammo or maybe a gun that's new to your collection.

sixshot

Buckeye
Tyrone, I'd hold onto it, I wouldn't say they are plentiful & those are the types of guns, on down the road that end up bringing the most money when other collectors like yourself start filling in the blank spots. I too had a 7 1/2" target gray model, that's what I took my bull moose with a few years back, nice guns. The 9 1/2" is kind of a "niche" gun but again, those are the one's that on down the road people start looking for. And, it could end up being good trade bait.
I have no Super Red Hawks left, sure wish I had that 44 back, it was scary accurate, a few few mule deer & one elk hated it.

Dick

planetcat

Single-Sixer
The best way to get over sellers remorse is to buy something else with the money. I say peel one of the .480's off for something different.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Or at the gathering you could loan it to me for a year I'll put a good scope on it shoot a deer or two and then bring it back next year for you, you will still have the gun and a scope, am I a nice guy or what?

contender

Ruger Guru
See,,, I have the thought to sell it,,, as I already have my 480 needs covered quite well. My 7-1/2" gun is a sweet shooting,,, accurate handgun,,, that I helped a buddy get. He promised me that if he ever sold it,, I'd get first chance. Well, he did,,,, and I got it. Then I got my SBH in 480 & enjoy that one as well. So the 9-1/2" version,,, not really needed.
But I do favor wisdom,,, and a wise man has lent his thoughts,,. Thanks Dick,, I do appreciate your input. I'm not in a hurt to sell it,,, and it can be added to the few other Rugers hanging around here. And if someone comes along with a hot desire,,, well,,, maybe a trade could happen.
Seller remorse isn't fixed by buying another gun,,, it's the remorse of letting ANY of them go.

Big Old Boy,,, we might talk a little,,, and I can let ya fondle it,,,, shoot it,,, etc.

Knowing how good the 480's are,,, I want to keep it. But,, I don't collect the DA's nearly as much as I do the SA's. So,, I know this one would just gather dust on the wall.

Ahhhh,,,, the quandary!!!!!

Beach Bum

Bearcat
Contender .....I have read many of your posts .......Your Input is always of high value........
with all respect I will put in some input that I think is of high value as well .....NEVER EVER SELL YOUR GUNS.....

......NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS..........Beach Bum....

contender

Ruger Guru
Thanks Beach Bum! :D
I often tell folks that I cured "seller remorse" by not selling any. But this one kinda fell to me,, and had a lot of extra stuff I needed for my other 480's. Lots of brass,,,, some ammo, bullets,,, dies,, holster,,, etc. So,,, I was considering selling it.. as I could take that money & fund other items.
Hence,,, the quandary. But,,, most likely,, it'll just go onto the safe with it's brethren.

You could use it as a base gun for a custom piece. I had a 480 cut down to 4.75" and target gray finish removed. Made for a handy carrying gun.
mw8s4l.jpg

I originally wanted this in 44, so I sold it and bought this 44 that someone already had customized.
29fyvti.jpg

Tom W

Blackhawk
I had one with a 2x Leupold. I could shoot clay pigeons @100 yards offhand. Easily a very accurate revolver. Even had a custom bandolier holstr made for it. And I sold it.....

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Tyrone.... low be it for me to sway your mind. Meanwhile, back in the jungle, about the only way I have learned whether to keep a firearm is to throw some lead. I had a very early 9-1/2 inch Super Redhawk .44 Mag and could not make it play. It would not work with me and I lost interest in working with it. That SRH .44 could not touch my S410N Silhouette Super, nor its stainless child, the KS411N Silver Hornpipe. Couldn't do on full size silhouette what the single actions did on a quarter-size silhouette.

All of which is history, personal history, and should not determine you against keeping a 9-1/2-inch double action lunker, especially throwing .475-inch lead... providing, of course, the sixgun dances in your hand.
David Bradshaw

contender

Ruger Guru
David,, I did throw a little bit of lead downrange last week when I had a few moments. It was some factory fodder that came with it. I haven't taken the time to really try it out,,, with my proven loads,,, yet,,, but I'm a planning to. The factory stuff showed promise. We'll see,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!