Super Redhawk cylinder throats

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kilpatrk

Bearcat
I purchased a Super Redhawk and I have noticed that the cylinder throats seem to be at .432. I didn't realize that these cylinder throats ran that large. Since jacketed bullets are .430 at the largest, as far as I can tell, I am concerned that the difference is greater than it should be. Do they sell cylinders more in line with the .430? Or is the difference not that significant? I have always understood that cylinder throat size should match bullet size more closely for better accuracy. Could flame cutting be increased by larger cylinder throat size?

Thanks,
Mert

GP100man

Buckeye
Kilpatrk

WELCOME TO THE RUGER FORUM.COM!!!!!

How are you measuring????

Most (4) Supers i`ve shot the cyl `s would`nt let a .430 bullet pass (used as pin gage) & a .429 would take pressure to get thru.

if your cyl throats are actually .432 your revolver would be a cast boolit shooters dream come true!!!!

To answer your ?? on a new cyl , the revolver would have to be sent back to be fitted & timed . the cyl is not a "drop" in part.

How does your new Super Redhawk shoot????
factory????
jacketed????
cast boolits???
handloads???

Springbuck

Bearcat
I have mesured several Ruger 44 throats over the years and .431 is fairly standard with a few at .432, if a .430 bullet will drop through you have at least .001 clearance and probably .002 if both are the same you will have to drive it through. I have three 44 Rugers and they shoot reasonably well although I would like to have closer tolerances.
I was a machinist for 10 years.
Springbuck

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
I own a SuperRedhawk .44 and it's cylinder throats must be AT LEAST .431 because if you drop a .430 250 grain Keith cast bullet into the throat you had better have your feet out of the way 'cause it's coming towards the floor fast! I have not measured them but I would guess that they are .432 as well. So far no real problems with any bullet type / speed combination that I have tried.

Springbuck

Bearcat
All of the Ruger 45 Colts that I have measured were .451 and I opened them up to .452 or .4525. I have herd of .454 throates on 45's but have not seen any myself.