Super Redhawk barrel swap

Help Support Ruger Forum:

glbrt352

Bearcat
I did a search but didn't turn up much. Nothing helpful anyway. I was sitting here looking at the Taurus Raging Bull series of revolvers and was thinking about how cool it would be to have a nice large frame wheel gun like that to do some hunting and target shooting. I like the .45 family, having a BH in .45LC, and I wouldn't mind something in 454 to do some really good blasting with. On the other hand, I love Rugers and would love to buy one of them instead other than the fact that the SRH are so stinking ugly.

Nice big grip: Check.
Nice big frame/cylinder: Check.
Nice big full lug barrel: FAIL.

Why they are only offered with that round barrel I don't know. What I would like to know though is if anyone makes full lug aftermarket barrels that would fit the SRH or if maybe even a bigger round barrel like a bull barrel to even out the lines?

I don't know that I have ever seen one customized other than I think I seen one turned into a carbine once. :?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Full lug barrel on a Super Redhawk WOW!!! Can you say two hands?? :D :D
I don't really see how it could be done except with photoshop.

RugerSuperRedhawklug.gif

...Jimbo

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Look around the bowen classic arms website, gallery, and projects. He has taken a Ruger alaskan, cut the barrel shroud off even with frame, and put redhawk bbls on. Or made heavy underlugged bbls. $$$$$$$$$$. The 4" Redhawk will handle some HEAVY loads, unless you want the heavy long tube, which is what it sounds like.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
"Why they are only offered with that round barrel I don't know."

a round (bar-stock) barrel is cheaper to manufacture, finish, inspect and install than a complex-contoured part.

You can get a machinist to thread and mount a brick if you pay enough. It's just rifling that brick that gets tough.

You can also look around for a barrel from an Anaconda or 629 and get it threaded for the SRH frame. Mag-Na-Port has been doing this since the SRH came out.
Personally I'd go for that before a semi-custom build. 8)

Morgoth

Bearcat
I think I saw another version of the custom DA barrel from Bowen...sort of looked like a GP-100 or SP-101. It was on a Redhawk and listed in the for sale section of his website a few months ago.

Found a pic

forsal2.500%20RH%20SP101%20for%20sale.jpg

mohavesam

Hawkeye
All the Bowen posts seem to be ablout REdhawk frames - the Super Redhawk was the glbrt352 question.

Bowen now works the re-barrel guns from Alaskan frames, to avoid the scope-lug reweld & refinshing.; per the website. Seems awfully expensive. I'm betting not many are coughing up that much scratch.