super blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
If the 4 5/8 and 5 1/2 do not have the dragoon grip or the hunter grip, are they not simply a blackhawk with the super hammer?

seems to me that a major part of being a super is that big grip.

Flash

Buckeye
This is an interesting thread. I have a 5 1/2" Stainless Super Blackhawk and my grip panels fit the dragoon style grip frame like a glove. They are of the same profile with the only difference being the trigger guard. I'd be anxious to hear from the more knowledgeable.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Flash":3llezqwr said:
This is an interesting thread. I have a 5 1/2" Stainless Super Blackhawk and my grip panels fit the dragoon style grip frame like a glove. They are of the same profile with the only difference being the trigger guard. I'd be anxious to hear from the more knowledgeable.

When was your super made? Maybe they started putting hunter grip frames on the shorter barrels?

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
Yes Except they have non fluted cylinders for the most part and they say Super which instantly says 44 magnum in my book. They also have the wide trigger I believe.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Flash":tmrj22td said:

I have one like that too, after I changed the grip frame. Unless this is something real new???

Ever since the "Super" came out, all 44 Mag Rugers (except Vaqueros and the Anniversary Models) have been called Supers. And just when you think you have it all figured out, they label the "Hunter" models as Supers too.

Now why would this be confusing??? :roll:

flatgate

Hawkeye
OK, class, some "straight up" information is needed here!

4-5/8" and 5-1/2" Super Blackhawks are fitted with a steel or stainless steel Single-Six/Blackhawk sized grip frame.
The 4-5/8" Supers have non fluted cylinders but the 5-1/2" versions do indeed have fluted cylinders.

The classic Super Blackhawk grip frame has the "square backed" trigger guard and is significantly longer than the Single-Six/Blackhawk style.

Here's an image of the Single-Six/Blackhawk's XR3-RED grip panel setting on the Super Blackhawk "Dragoon" style grip frame. Look close and you can see the Super's grip area is significantly larger. (One can also surmise where WBR got his design for the XR3-RED!!!)
358049722.jpg

OK, now, the Hunter series, as opposed to the Bisley Hunters, are fitted with the Hunter grip frame which is the SAME as the Super Blackhawk "Dragoon" except the trigger guard is round and doesn't sport the 90° corner.

Wide Triggers? Across the board since the advent of the New Model. Most Super's came with serrated triggers but, IIRC, that may have been changed in the recent decade. I don't know for certain.

Flash must have a gun with a "swapped on" grip frame since the KS-45N is produced with a stainless XR3-RED sized grip frame.

flatgate

Flash

Buckeye
I must have something that was swapped but just the same, I love how it feels. I took the banner off, polished it and love it. I was never a fan of big bores but this one I love. The only thing that would make it beter for me is a 4 5/8".
005-6.jpg

Single-Sixer
I have one of the 4-5/8" blued Supers and love it. I've had several Blackhawks, Old Armies, and Single-Sixes over the years but this is my first Super and I have been very impressed with it.

Unfluted cylinder, blue steel grip frame, and super hammer are the only differences I can tell, but the fit and finish seem to be head and shoulders above a standard Blackhawk. Not sure if there is any extra finish work involved in the Super, but mine is on another level.

Enigma

Hunter
Flash":1sf7er94 said:
I must have something that was swapped but just the same, I love how it feels. I took the banner off, polished it and love it. I was never a fan of big bores but this one I love. The only thing that would make it beter for me is a 4 5/8".
005-6.jpg

That gun should also sport a fluted cylinder, being a 5-1/2" model.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Flash":2oekvzq9 said:
tek4260":2oekvzq9 said:
That front sight is a dead giveaway that it has been tinkered with.
For $250, wouldn't you buy it too??

Well first off, being tinkered with isn't necessarily a bad thing. It depends on how welll it was done. And most of us would be pretty excited to get that for $250. It could be a 7 1/2" that some one cut down and switched gripframes on.

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Not all 5.5" SBH came with fluted cylinders. Here is a pic of one that I owned that came with a non-fluted cyl from the factory.

2369883340055011840S600x600Q85.jpg

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
two bit okie":287oj2al said:
If the 4 5/8 and 5 1/2 do not have the dragoon grip or the hunter grip, are they not simply a blackhawk with the super hammer?

Well, there's a lot of info. here on what turns out to be kind of a complicated topic. After all the discussion of cylinders, grip shapes, etc., my answer to your original question is this:

Besides the different hammer, you're also getting a STEEL grip frame. This, to me, is as important as any of the other features unique to the Super Blackhawk. I like stainless guns, and I like blued steel, but I can't bring myself to accept the aluminum alloy gripframe on standard Blackhawks. This is one reason I settled on a 50th anniversary model when I decided to order a Blackhawk last week. (I also happen to like the little XR3 grip--for .357; if I wanted a .44, I'd definitely choose a Super over a 50th because I think you need something bigger in your palm for that level of recoil.)

Latest posts