Super Blackhawk XR3RED grip frame question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

black029

Single-Sixer
Just got a (barely) used 5.5" SS SBH and the Rosewoods on it are somewhat of an oversized fit, and feel fat. I tried a couple of XR3 RED panels I have, and they are just the opposite: there is side of the grip frame metal showing.
My question is: is my SBH grip frame the same size as any random non .44 Blackhawk frame? I guess if not, I just have some wildly varying wood panels.
Thaks, sirs

Enigma

Hunter
The stainless grip frames tend to run a bit larger than the aluminum frames; not sure how the carbon steel frames rate in comparison. Ask CLC (Cary) or one of the other grip makers.

black029

Single-Sixer
"The stainless grip frames tend to run a bit larger than the aluminum frames; not sure how the carbon steel frames rate in comparison. Ask CLC (Cary) or one of the other grip makers."
Boy, that seems so true.
The grip frame is stamped XRN, for whatever that means .

Enigma said:
The stainless grip frames tend to run a bit larger than the aluminum frames; not sure how the carbon steel frames rate in comparison. Ask CLC (Cary) or one of the other grip makers.

That may well be true. But I have aftermarket grips that tend to be slightly over size on my stainless supers. Ruger rosewoods also seem to be both oversize and under size, at least in my experience.

caryc

Hawkeye
First off, even with Ruger's investment casting, their grip frames still vary. Remember, when they come out of those molds, they have to be hand finished and polished. Also the bottoms are radiused by hand. I've seen some with really sharp corners and some with a very big radius on them.

Then there are cookie cutter grips. Those are grips made by CNC machinery and depending on the maker, some of them don't even see a Ruger grip frame until they are put on at the factory to ship out. this means they have to be a little undersized usually so they don't have to be forced onto the guns. they just want to slip them on and ship the guns.

Some people might think this is crappy quality control by Ruger. But Ruger makes some great guns built like a tank and priced accordingly.

Ir you want real precision, pay for a Freedom Arms.

black029

Single-Sixer
Not slamming Ruger QA/QC. Just wondered if if the frames were different. Didn't think so, but thanks for the insight

caryc

Hawkeye
black029 said:
Not slamming Ruger QA/QC. Just wondered if if the frames were different. Didn't think so, but thanks for the insight

Didn't think you were slamming Ruger. That's just my standard answer. :wink:

nn

Single-Sixer
black029 said:
They must be different, if that is one with the lock it is different. I cannot get a hogue monogrip for the lockable grip.