Super Blackhawk Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
I want a Super Blackhawk in Stainless with a 4 5/8" barrel.

I was wondering two things, however:

1) Why isn't the cylinder fluted on this model

2) Why isn't there a square-back trigger guard

I know these things are mostly aesthetic. Nonetheless, I do prefer the look of a fluted cylinder and a square-back trigger guard. Could I custom order one with these two features?

Thanks,

Chris

You can't order one but it is easy enough to get one. Simply send your non fluted cylinder gun off to any of the top smiths along with a SS SBH dragoon grip frame you can order from Ruger or Brownells and you have it. They can flute the cylinder and fit the grip frame and you can sell the take off grip frame. You will need new grip panels as well.

StonewallRuger":2pzilzbp said:

I know these things are mostly aesthetic. Nonetheless, I do prefer the look of a fluted cylinder and a square-back trigger guard. Could I custom order one with these two features?

Thanks,

Chris

I also like the fluted cylinder, in supers you need to get a 5 1/2 in. barrel to get it. ps

I asked the same question about fluting a cylinder, last year. Our friend, HAWKEYE#28 provided this information...

Ruger: 5 1/2" SBH fluted Cylinder, SS, each $95; fitting, each $50; SHI to return gun $30. Total for one cyliner/fitting/ship back=$175. If done at same time, add $145 per cylinder. I asked about three and they told me That they would do it..............Personally, I think this is the way to go............. Cool Wink

Aggie01

Blackhawk
fluting your cylinder is only about $30-50 at the top smiths, IIRC. Might as well get a hutner grip frame f you are swapping. I paid money to have the square corners removed on three of mine.

leaves lots less divots in the driving skills commenting finger.

buy the 'Super' that comes with the shorter 5.5 barrel, has the smaller grip frame already ( rounded trigger guard) and ''snip' the barrel back an inch or so, sounds the easiest to us...................UNLESS you ONLY want the "flutes", then have the cylinder done..........all kinds of "stuff" one can do, all it takes is time & money... :roll:

G2

Hunter
Robb has the "E" ticket. Remember guys StonewallRuger want's the square back super dragoon style look.
As for knuckle bustin, Yes it bust's mine too, but some it doesn't. I have also noticed that in the shorter barrels (2.5-4") the gun seems to have less rear pushing recoil, less contained powder burn and less fps. So who knows might work out, even for some of us with big O'l paws/nuckles. :roll:

Ruger used too offer the Super GF install option on any of the single actions and said so in thier manuals. Today with the shipping and where Ruger has gone w/ thier labor prices it is just as cheap to send it to a custom smith, and while it's there get a tune-up, fluted cylinder, and Ruger won't do that.

Buy your gun and a super dragoon grip frame and send it off to be customizied. :D

I would also consider a BP champher too.

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
Yeah, I think I'll do that. I like the dragoon look, and I do prefer the bp chamfer, too. Thanks for your comments.

CraigC

Hawkeye
It'll be less expensive to buy the 4 5/8" model and have it fluted than to shorten the 5½" model. Clements quotes $50-$80 for fluting. Then have it fitted with the grip frame of your choice. Personally, if I was going with the Super profile, I'd get the round triggerguard Hunter version. I still prefer Bisleys and converted my 4 5/8" stainless Super to reflect that.

P1010063.JPG

flatgate

Hawkeye
StonewallRuger":39nneicl said:

3) Could I custom order one with these two features?

Thanks,

Chris

1) The 4-5/8" barreled New Model Super Blackhawk originated as a "Distributor Special" for Williams Shooter's Supply (IIRC). They specified the standard "non-fluted" cylinder to make the gun stand out when compared to the recently (at that time) introduced 5-1/2" barreled Super Blackhawk that had a fluted cylinder and a steel "XR3-RED" sized grip frame. That particular design was the direct result of shooters pestering Ruger to come out with a "packin' pistol" that was similar to the original .44 mag. Blackhawk first introduced in '56 with a 6-1/2" barrel. The New Model version featured a 5-1/2" barrel and was/is a big success.

2) These guns are designed to be lighter and more easily "packed" around in the woods, hence the smaller grip frames.

3) Nope, no custom orders from Ruger at the present time...

JMHO,

flatgate

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
CraigC,

Wow, I really like that look. I might just save a picture of that gun and send it to Clements with my gun. haha

What do you tie the lanyard around? (just curious to see if I would want one for any reason)

What kind of basepin is that?

Thanks.