Super Blackhawk Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hawkencougar2

Bearcat
A local gun shop near me is selling Stainless Ruger. They have it listed on the tag as a Super Blackhawk. They tell me its a Super Blackhawk. Now here is the thing.

The gun is in .357 and the frame is marked New Model Blackhawk. The trigger guard is round. Its is stainless steel.

Now, for you experts. Is this a Super Blackhawk or a Blackhawk?

What makes a Blackhawk ..... Super?

Does being Super make it any better?

contender

Ruger Guru
MANY gun shop "experts" mis-identify a lot of guns, not just Rugers. I've seen some outrageous prices on a common gun because they thought it was something else, and I've seen some smokin hot deals on something that they didn't know what it was.
The gun you saw is a Blackhawk, not a Super. The Super is in 44 mag caliber. And as mentioned above, the frame will be marked accordingly.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
If it were a super it would say 44 Mag. on the side and not 357. The shop owner doesn't know what the heck he is talking about. Stainless supers have both round and square trigger guards depending on barrel length.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
If it is marked Blackhawk then it is a Blackhawk. The Old Model Vaquero and the New Model Blackhawk have the same dimensions with the Blackhawk having adjustable sights.

A Super Blackhawk has a bigger frame. It would be a waste making a Super Blackhawk in 357mag.

The round trigger guard is not important as the 4-5/8 & 5-1/2 Super Blackhawks have the round trigger guard.

What is the price?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
bisleyfan41":124hrobr said:
lfpiii":124hrobr said:
A Super Blackhawk has a bigger frame. It would be a waste making a Super Blackhawk in 357mag.

The cylinder frames on the NM Blackhawk and NM Super Blackhawk are identical in size. Only difference is the markings.

I have a Bisley New Model Super Blackhawk in .44 mag.
The exact same gun in .357 mag is called a Bisley New Model Blackhawk. :D

...Jimbo

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
s4s4u":40wyc437 said:
The grip frame is a wee bit bigger on the Super.

That is true except for the round trigger guard supers though. Isn't it? The 4 5/8" super has an XR-3 RED grip frame the same as a Blackhawk or Single Six. The Hunter model would be the exception with the round guard and larger grip.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
s4s4u":30y5nkcz said:
The grip frame is a wee bit bigger on the Super.

Nope, only the gripframe and ejector rod housing is different.

There are only 3 new model frame sizes:

1) Large Frame ....Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Vaquero
2) Medium Frame ....New Vaquero, Flatop 357, Flatop 44 Special
3) Small Frame ....Single/Super Six etc.

...JImbo

Hawkencougar2

Bearcat
lfpiii":3k08aq8i said:
What is the price?

$499 cash.

I think they realized its not a .357 Super Blackhawk as they had wrote on the tag.

Its a stainless ruger and I am jonesing for another ruger.

These guns get in ones blood and really make if difficult to stop buying them.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
It does get in your blood; I have been looking at the .357's too; Just this afternoon, I told a buddy of mine that I was getting one more and then I was done - he just laughed at me.

Knuckles

Buckeye
If it is stainless steel, it is a "New Model Blackhawk".

I got a good buy on a used one for $299.00 a couple months ago from a local gun shop.

I just wanted to make sure you get the best price you can.

Very versatile guns.

sidecarr

Bearcat
Just brought a new .357 blackhawk at gander mountain , was on sale for $449.00 went to check out and found out they have a 10% sale so it was $404 .not bad