Super Blackhawk Hammers Out of Stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
I got an email from Midway today at 10:45 notifying me that Super Blackhawk hammers were back in stock. I didn't read the email until two hours later, and they were already sold out again.

41Dude

Single-Sixer
Not sure what your project is.
Years ago I replaced my Super Blackhawk hammer and grooved trigger with a Blackhawk hammer and smooth trigger.
I especially looked the smooth trigger for heavier loads. I'm too wimpy for the groove bite.
The wide Super hammer is beautiful, just not for me.

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
I'm wanting to try one out on my 45 New Vaquero. My thumb is long enough to work the Vaquero hammer no problem, but I'm wondering if I can be faster/surer with the SBH hammer.

dannyd

Hunter
If your doing it for cowboy shooting; then It definitely does gives some advantage especially if you shoot with two hands.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I put one on my .357 / 9mm Blackhawk and it's way better for actually shooting

Every Ruger SA should have this hammer. Even my birdshead Vaquero came with one

20230519_150256.jpg

hittman

Staff member
Have your tried the Classifieds here?

** Never mind, it sold about 5 minutes ago. **

Last edited:

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Ruger learned and started using them on the Montado series obviously aimed at CAS customers

I'm honestly surprised Super Blackhawk hammers are still in this high demand, I thought putting them in Blackhawks and Vaqueros was like a 2000s-mid 2010s thing that kinda became a niche thing for die hard Ruger fans . Unless Midway only got a few in stock

You might give Ruger a call you know the people that make them. I have bought several from Ruger in the past.
I shoot both one and two handed in SASS just depends on the category. I find no advantage of the Super hammer shooting two handed. The New Vaqueros have an improved hammer for shooting two handed that is why it was changed from the Vaquero. The lower Super hammer is easier to reach shooting one handed. Your off hand thumb is already in position to cock for the next shot shooting two handed.

I do assume that you guys are using your off hand thumb to cock your single action shooting two handed???????

These are shot one handed Combination of Old Army and Super hammers.

full

full

full

These are shot two handed with stock hammers.
Yea I know some of the Gammers install Super hammers.
full

Yoter

Bearcat
Swapped a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter and stainless frame on my 45LC Blackhawk. Hammer is a great improvement. The larger grip frame fits my large hands better. Win. Win.

Ruger learned and started using them on the Montado series obviously aimed at CAS customers
The first Montados were not allowed in SASS because of the checkering on the grip frame.

The Ruger Vaquero Montado was designed to meet the needs of the cowboy mounted shooter. Constructed of corrosion-resistant stainless steel and built on the Ruger New Vaquero frame, the Vaquero Montado is chambered in 45 Colt and has a shorter 3 3/4" barrel that reduces size and weight plus improves holstering at a full gallop. Other new features include a deeply checkered, wide hammer spur to ease one-handed cocking, a beveled cylinder for easier holstering, and a slimmer pre-1962 "XR-3" style grip frame,

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
I have a Lipsey's Exclusive Flat Top Blackhawk Convertible .45. It has the smaller frame of New Vaquero size, XR-3 gripframe and slim Gunfighter grips. It is the only short-barreled .45 I have. My Old Model Blackhawk Convertible and New Vaquero have the 7.5 inch barrels. I have smaller hands, so I fitted lighter Wolff springs and an SBH hammer for easier one-handing. I like the result and it has become a favorite of mine for home-defense. (The .45 Colt is a better stopper than one of my .22LRs or CCW .380s.)

full

asteirman

Bearcat
I got an email from Midway today at 10:45 notifying me that Super Blackhawk hammers were back in stock. I didn't read the email until two hours later, and they were already sold out again.
Hey Tom
I have an SS Super Blackhawk hammer, if you pm me your address I'll send it to you. New in the envelope from Ruger, no charge, I'll even pay the postage !

Andy

Last edited:

Dach Savage

Bearcat
I got lucky a couple of years ago and got my hammer and trigger + other work done at the factory on this beauty. The Super Blackhawk hammer and smooth trigger are really great and much easier to thumb when you have arthritis.

Attachments

• vaquero left side .jpg
    vaquero left side .jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 45
  • vaquero back .jpg
    vaquero back .jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 37