Super Blackhawk Grips - Question about Sile

Help Support Ruger Forum:

titegroup

Bearcat
I am looking to replace the stock grips on my NMSBH. The existing grips keep cracking along the pin hole due to recoil. Plus I'd like a larger grip and something to stop the middle knuckle bashing. I'm eyeing up a pair of Sile target grips, but cannot figure out what the notch in the front of the grips of for. Any ideas? I have a 7.5" NMSBH with the dragoon trigger guard.

I don't want to spend a ton, and don't want rubber or plastic grips. I'm also open to other ideas!

schloss

Single-Sixer
Those pictures look like those oversized grips that extend below the grip frame. I haven't run to the safe to look at grip frames as I'm writing this, and not knowledgeable enough without looking, so take it for what it's worth. I don't see what that cutout is for, but I'm sure it could be something pretty obvious.

Kanook

Buckeye
The pictured grips look like they are for a NM Blackhawk, not the Super Blackhawk. The extra wood under the notch/red arrow is for feeling like the SBH Dragoon gripframe.

They are the wrong grips for your Ruger.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
They are a relief cut to allow the toe of the grip frame to extend through. When installed on the gun, the toe of the grip frame is exposed. Sort of modifys the front strap countour.

If you will look at the front of the grip, the wood forms a grip adapter behind the trigger guard and part way down the front strap of the grip. The adapter sort of "fizzles out" before reaching the butt, so metal is exposed.

And, not 100% certain, but the front of the "adapter" looks as if it is contoured for the square backed trigger guard.

Bob Wright

edlmann

Blackhawk
Bob Wright said:
They are a relief cut to allow the toe of the grip frame to extend through. When installed on the gun, the toe of the grip frame is exposed. Sort of modifys the front strap countour.
If you will look at the front of the grip, the wood forms a grip adapter behind the trigger guard and part way down the front strap of the grip. The adapter sort of "fizzles out" before reaching the butt, so metal is exposed.
I agree. I accidentally did this modifying a set of S&W N frame grips, so I turned it into an "undocumented feature".

titegroup

Bearcat
Thanks all - anyone have experience with this style of grip. I'm also looking at a set of wood Houge premium grips but these are a bit more cost effective.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I have a set of Herrett grips with that notch in them.
Mine fit the XR-3 Red and Blackhawks with the round trigger guard.

I don't have the gun anymore but mine were very comfortable to shoot and are over sized enough to fill the space behind the trigger guard so my finger didn't get banged when I shot the gun.
I sold the gun years ago and the buyer didn't want the grips.
Now I have a set of grips and no gun to fit them.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Busterswoodshop said:
..............................................................................................................
I sold the gun years ago and the buyer didn't want the grips.
Now I have a set of grips and no gun to fit them.

Isn't that a nice feeling?

Soon to be rectified, I hope?

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
titegroup said:
Thanks all - anyone have experience with this style of grip. I'm also looking at a set of wood Houge premium grips but these are a bit more cost effective.
Welcome to the forum.

I have the Herretts that Busterswoodshop posted about, but in the SBH dragoon grip size. You'll love them. If you can swing a deal with him, you can slightly modify his grips to work on your SBH grip frame.

Just sand off the wood that goes under the butt of the standard grip frame his are made for, and they'll fit flush with the butt on your dragoon grip. Also file them a little behind the trigger guard to accommodate your sq back trigger guard. Then they'll be just like mine.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Hondo44,

I keep looking at that photo of thosa grips and I believe they are for A Super Blackhawk.

The curve behind the trigger guard area looks like a square backed trigger guard profile.

Bob Wright

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Bob Wright said:
Hondo44,

I keep looking at that photo of thosa grips and I believe they are for A Super Blackhawk.

The curve behind the trigger guard area looks like a square backed trigger guard profile.

Bob Wright

Thats the same way mine are shaped.
Mine fit a round trigger guard.
When they are on the gun they look just like the ones on this gun

http://hunting.about.com/od/shootingrev/ss/ruger-blackhawk-44-flat-top-old-model-review.htm

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Busterswoodshop said:
Bob Wright said:
Hondo44,

Bob Wright

Thats the same way mine are shaped.
Mine fit a round trigger guard.
When they are on the gun they look just like the ones on this gun

http://hunting.about.com/od/shootingrev/ss/ruger-blackhawk-44-flat-top-old-model-review.htm

I believe both the OP's grips and Busterswoodshop's grips have a universal cut that fits both the square back and round trigger guards. And when either set of grips is sold to fit the SBH dragoon grip, the extra wood, that wraps under the butt of the shorter XR3-RED size grip frame, is milled off.

That's why I feel the Siles grips shown and the Herretts grips, if made for the XR3-RED grip frame can easily be modified to fit the SBH. Less work than I previously stated.

HOWEVER, the Herretts grips shown in Busterswoodshop's linked photo are shown on a 44 Flat Top Blackhawk which has the old XR3 size grip frame (as shown below) and are too short from front to back at the top to be modified to fit the SBH!
F-gripsquare3.jpg

If the Herretts were for the XR3-RED grip frame, they would work on the SBH.

Latest posts