Super Blackhawk grip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Allen207

Single-Sixer
So if I understand correctly, the Super Blackhawk "dragoon" grip frame was introduced in part to make the .44 mag more comfortable to shoot. I see however that a lot of people seem to prefer the round trigger guard.

I guess my question is whether the SBH dragoon style grip frame is more comfortable to shoot that the XR3 RED.

I know that most folks find the Bisley style grip the most comfortable to shoot with heavy loads, I am just curious about the SBH frame.

TexNekkid

Bearcat
For instance, a former owner of this cut down SBH had installed rubber baby bumper grips on it. They may have worked well for him, but positioned the index finger of my large hand too low on the trigger. Under recoil, the finger got pinched between the trigger guard and trigger.

AsWasSBk.jpg

A set of CaryC's hefty grips cured that problem.

SBKps.jpg

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I prefer the SBH grip frame over the XR3 and XR3-RED designs when shooting hefty rounds. On the other hand, it makes my 7-1/2" Blackhawk rather heavy both carrying and shooting. I do try to dry fire it a few dozen times each night while aiming at a target on the wall to keep my arm muscles in shape for real shooting time. When shooting only plinker level rounds, I think that they new XR3 grip frame fits right nice in my large hands.

The Super Blackhawk Hunter model has a stainless version of the larger SBH grip frame with a rounded trigger guard.

Axehandle

Buckeye
I'll own up to my big kickers being Bisley grip frames.... However I think the the SBH grip frame makes an extraordinary platform for custom grips and they work fine for me on a 44 magnum...
001-58.jpg

003-32.jpg

boomslang

Bearcat
I am a software engineer so I have long thin fingers (typing all day). I have never been bit by the square back trigger guard. I think the longer grip frame fits my hands much better than the smaller frames.

All2.jpg

I discovered that the SBH grip shape works well for me on short-barreled boomers like my 4-5/8" Blackhawks in .45 Colt with "hefty" loads. These guns/loads tend to be pretty "snappy" and the SBH grip improves my control and saves my middle-finger knuckle from taking a beating.

Everybody to their own, of course. The nice thing is that these grip frames are all interchangeable so you can have your gun set up to your personal requirements with little trouble.

JMHO
:)

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
I really prefer the Super Blackhawk Dragoon frame. The extra length lets me get all fingers on the grip.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I think Skeeter Skelton must've had small hands. I tried "choking down" with a tight grip as he prescribed with the XR3 grip. Still got my middle finger thumped with full throttle .44s. Ended up swapping gripframes with my OM Single Six RED and made both guns happier. That extra 1/8" or so made all the difference. But you still need to hang on! This "roll in the hand" business I'm always hearing of is horsefeathers IMO. It's called a GRIP for a reason!. A little off topic, I know, but that's my view of the "round" frames. Gotta admit, I'd swap for a BRASS dragoon in a heartbeat!...Dennis :wink:

I tend to agree with you about Skeeter's hands. That said, he had the choice of staying with the XR3 grip frames he liked, and the rest of us are free to use whatever works for us.

On Single-Sixes, I really see little difference between the original XR3 and the later XR3-RED. I do, however, appreciate the better gripping characteristics of the SBH frame on heavier-recoiling arrangements.

As far as the "rolling up" scenario, I find it to be pretty much true. It can be controlled to whatever extent you feel necessary by a tighter squeeze, but I have the best luck simply not fighting the recoil too much. I maintain a "firm" grip but not the gorilla squeeze some, including Mas Ayoob, espouse. I'll admit the "rolling up" reaction can somewhat hinder quick successive shots.

JMHO

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
Well, I have two three screw SBHs. I find one to be a real knuckle-rapper, but the other is the Long Frame SBH I wrote about here several years ago. The extra meat on the handle makes a world of difference for me. It's a pleasure to shoot.

I also have a 45 colt Black Hawk and Bisley Vaquero and a brace of 44 mag Bisley Vaqueros.

For me at least, the Ruger Bisley grip is as advertised: it points well and it tames the big thumpers. As a bonus the lower hammer makes cocking the piece easier for my arthritic thumbs and allows that without having to re-position my strong hand.

The very real fact is I spend a lot of time in the high desert with a longarm at hand and a handgun on my hip. I load 95% of my 44 magnum and 45 colt ammo (240gr & 250gr bullets) to ~925/950fps. Over the last 25 years I've found that sufficient for evey need I've had. When I rolled up ammo for hunting, I matched the load to the game.

The point of the foregoing paragraph being: for me personally at least, 95% of the time the "grip shape / knuckle rap" doesn't factor in at all. I can do all I need to do without bustin' my knuckle when I bust a cap. An when I need a dino-dropper, I've got that covered as well

:lol:

Hokie73

Bearcat
I hate Bisleys. The XR3 is too small with stout loads. I can live with the XR3-REDs. The SBH Dragoon grip busts my knuckle. The Hunter is perfection. Now all I need to do is decide if I want to sell my 50th Anniversary 44, which is very accurate, or get a Hunter grip frame grafted on it and black chromed or something.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Has anyone else noticed that the XR3-RED grip frame, introducd in mid '62, is simply a truncated version of the MR3-D (Super Blackhawk) grip frame introduced in '59?

358049722.jpg

Look close: here's a XR3-RED grip panel setting on a Super Grip Frame. It matches up quite well, eh?

Yeah, I like the Super style!!!

flatgate

Yep, and that little 1/8" gap at the leading edge of the grip panel reveals how the SBH helps protect your knuckle . . . there's more room behind the trigger guard.

Skeeter claimed this extra space gave the trigger guard room to "take a run at his knuckle", but I haven't found that to be true . . . for me.

kelbro

Single-Sixer
I have fired quite a few different styles and tend to prefer the Hunter frame. No busted knuckles or pinkies.

Latest posts