Super blackhawk grip question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

spiwonka

Bearcat
I just purchased a like new New model Super blackhawk hunter in .44 magnum. Does anybody make a larger grip for this pistol(pachmayr)? I have large hands and need a little more meat to grip. It's wearing a Leupold m8 2x EER scope. Shoots very good with Magtech 240 grain sp. At first I could'nt get consistant with my groups, but I did notice my groups shrunk and got much better when I gripped with more force and pulled down into what ever I was shooting off of. Any other tips for shooting revolvers? Any info will be appreciated. I'm a new member from TX. Who needs all the help I can get!!

Shane

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Welcome to the forum...and congrats on getting a GREAT handgun.

Any grips (including Pachmayr) made to fit a Ruger SUPER Blackhawk will fit on your gun. The only difference in your grip frame is the trigger guard.

Many don't like the rubber grips because they don't look as good, but on the stainless hunter model I think they do, and for a hunting revolver they are hard to beat.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
The Single Action design of that Ruger is such that the recoil of it is supposed to "roll" the gun upward. Hence,, some folks suffer from "knuckle rap." Tightening your gripping,, helps some,, but if you overdo it, it can hurt your accuracy as well. As an instructor,, you need to realize that about 70% of your gripping force should be applied with your "off" hand,, and 30% with your dominate hand. That allows better trigger control. Next,, proper fitting grips are a big key to shooting comfot & accuracy. Many folks don't care for the rubber types due to looks & the fact they stop a lot of the upward roll. That said,, a good pair of custom grips as mentioned above could be the best alternative.

Onty

Single-Sixer
spiwonka":2foydp9x said:
I just purchased a like new New model Super blackhawk hunter in .44 magnum. Does anybody make a larger grip for this pistol(pachmayr)? I have large hands and need a little more meat to grip. It's wearing a Leupold m8 2x EER scope. Shoots very good with Magtech 240 grain sp. At first I could'nt get consistant with my groups, but I did notice my groups shrunk and got much better when I gripped with more force and pulled down into what ever I was shooting off of. Any other tips for shooting revolvers? Any info will be appreciated. I'm a new member from TX. Who needs all the help I can get!!

Shane

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Welcome to our Forum. As others mentioned, you can use rubber grips but since you have large hands and fingers, you might experience "knuckle rap" from trigger guard. If so, look for one of these grips (bottom) http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/revolvers.html

Your problem might be that SBH Hunter has round trigger guard and seems to me that grip selection is not as good as for model with dragoon style, square trigger guard. However, search for custom stock, grip makers and I am confident that you will find something that will fit you.

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
You might want to consider/try a shooting glove. They have a little padding in the palm area & on the front of the middle finger for protection from the trigger guard....
They work great for those heavy loads, but can make your hand sweat on those warmer days of summer....
myguns325.jpg

Onty

Single-Sixer
pvtschultz":1kmaq1r5 said:
THEY ARE THE SAME GRIP FRAME! THe rounded SBH Hunter grip frame is the same size and shape as the dragoon grip frame.

Yes, but my point is that if one wants to have area behind trigger guard filled in order to avoid "knuckle rap", I doubt that grips are interchangeable. Please correct me if I am wrong.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Onty, I couldn't tell you. I tried snooping around at the Hogues but couldn't answer that question exactly myself. I appologize if I came off a bit horse there.

spiwonka

Bearcat
Thanks for all of the replies and info. I've tried the Hogue, but my backstrap sticks out some, so I took it back. I'm going to give this pistol a long shooting session today and see just how good I can shoot with the factory grips. I will also try to locate me a shooting glove. If I decide after much shooting I can't live with the factory panel. I will order me a custom grip from one of these great grip makers from the board. I'm fixing to head out to the range and do a little shooting. I will post my results later. Thanks again for the info!!

spiwonka

Bearcat
Shot a few rounds today, but the wind was terriable 48 deg. wind lowing 15-20 coming at me at 10 o'clock. Sorry for the box targets. I left my targets at my home and I was'nt going to drive back home to grab a few targets!!

Magtech 240 grain SP 50 yards
DSC02319.jpg

Magtech 240 grain SP 100 yards. I was working on a nice 3" size group, but my fifth shot was pulled off and hit the bullseye. Man 2x power don't leave much for shooting at targets at 100 yards that crosshair covers up the bullseye plus some!!
DSC02318.jpg

Hornady Leverevolution did 1 3/4" at 50 yards, but five inches low.
Winchester white box 240 grain SP did five inches at 50 yards.
I guess I will stick to the Magtech 240 grain sp. This was shot with a sandbag under barrel and both hands on grip. I believe when conditions are a little better I can shrink these groups nicely!!