Super Blackhawk frame on Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SWNM14

Bearcat
I need some advice. I am wondering if it is possible to install a Old Model Super Blackhawk frame on an Old Model Blackhawk in .357 magnum.

I saw an Old Model Super Blackhawk frame on Gunbroker and I had an idea...

Have any of you guys tried this? What are some things I would need to consider? Are additional parts, i.e. hammer, screws, etc. needed or can I use the existing parts from the .357?

Thank you all in advance!

G2

Hunter
The Super Blackhawk Grip Frame will swap over no problem.

Not PROBLEMS, just OBSERVATIONS:

The Trigger will be a skinny, 1/2 of the width of the Super Trigger, works fine, the GF ends up with a BIG hole for the skinny Trigger.
A OM Super Trigger can be sourced & swapped ~ $40.

Hammer looks and works fine, however a Super Hammer can be sourced & swapped ~$125, providing a lower & the wide finger pad.

Some like to do this "SUPER" swap using the MR3-DB Ruger Dragoon/ Super Blackhawk BRASS Grip Frame. ~$290.

Options... :wink:

SWNM14

Bearcat
Regarding swapping the OM Blackhawk trigger for an OM Super Blackhawk trigger...is this a gunsmith fitted part or a drop in or?? Are there any other small parts involved that I would need or can I reuse the originals?

Thanks for all the good advice. :D

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The trigger is usually a drop in. But before you install it, check to make sure it fits the notches in the hammer you're using, or it could snap off the notch if the trigger sear is not thin enough. Must be thinned down on the front side so it doesn't effect the trigger sear engagement surface.

Reuse all your original small parts.

You can also use New Model grip frames with a modification for the trigger return spring.

Here's a New Model Super BH Hunter model grip frame with round trigger guard on a 3 screw Old model:
standard.jpg

It also has a New Model Bisley trigger adapted to the 3 screw action, which allows the use of the New Model trigger return spring.

standard.jpg

Top of old model trigger replaces the top of the new model Bisly trigger:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg