Super Blackhawk/Flat top barrel interchange?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Corbi

Single-Sixer
Greetings Ruger experts.

Will a barrel from a 44 mag Super Black Hawk and a barrel from a flat top 44 special interchange? I see that the caliber is not marked on the barrel.

If so what would be the difficulties, if any?

Thanks,
Corbi

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
Depends on whether you're talking Old Model or New Model Super Blackhawk. A barrel from a Flat Top 44 Special will interchange with an Old Model Super but not a New Model. This picture shows a stainless 44 Special barrel and the threads are the same as the lower Old Model, i.e. no shoulder in the thread area, this barrel fit right in an Old Model 357. As the New Model Super's need the shoulder, they won't interchange.
396961007.jpg

HH

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Corbi,

To add to what HH posted: since it's likely both barrel shoulders will need "turning" on a lathe, i.e., adjusted for the barrel to 'clock" (tighten up with the sight and ejector housing screw hole aligned properly) in a different frame, the shoulder of a New Model SBH barrel can be turned down as shown above at the same time, and therefore be able to screw right into the flat top frame.

Old/New Standard SBH/Blackhawk/FT BH barrels have the same thread:
24 TPI x .685"

SBH Hunter barrel thread count and diameter varies:

.41 SBH Hunter is 32 TPI x .708" (shank diameter is .623"),
44 SBH Hunter is 20 TPI x .747" (shank diameter is .680"), same as Super Redhawk.
.45 SBH Hunter is 32 TPI x .703" (shank diameter is .623").

xtratoy

Buckeye
There is one member on this forum who sent his stainless 44 Special Flat Top back to Ruger for an issue with the gun and mentioned wishing it had a 5.5" barrel. When it was returned he had a 5.5" Ruger 44 Special Stainless Flat Top. Maybe he will see this and repost the picture of his gun.
Found a link to his gun. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=223970&p=2239004#p2239004 That is exactly the gun I was wanting but it was never a cataloged model. So I ended up with a 5.5" blued and a 4 5/8" stainless 44 Special.