Super BlackHawk Bisley Hunter Unfinished Hammer Face

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OldBrownGun

Bearcat
Hey guys, just wondering if this is normal. Just picked up my super blackhawk bisley hunter and was looking it over and noticed that the hammer face isnt polished. It looks like rough pot metal from the casting process and I can even see a casting seam all the way down it. Is this normal for this part to be unfinished since it isnt seen all the time?

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum and happy new year.

I don't know as I don't buy new guns. Others will surely be along directly with more help.

OldBrownGun

Bearcat
jbntx said:
Polish it by shooting it.

That would probably work on the actual face itself but the entire side of the hammer on that side all the way down is pitted and unpolished, and that part of the hammer never makes contact with anything. Not a big deal if this is normal. Just odd that every other part is highly polished and this rather easy to see part is left unfinished.

Yetiman

Bearcat
It doesn't sound normal to me. My Bisley hammer looks pretty well polished and well finished.

OldBrownGun

Bearcat
CznsRsn.jpg

aBN5DoH.jpg

jbntx

Single-Sixer
That hammer looks perfectly normal and those "pitting" marks are from the casting.
ALL of my Ruger hammers look exactly like that.

OldBrownGun

Bearcat
jbntx said:
That hammer looks perfectly normal and those "pitting" marks are from the casting.
ALL of my Ruger hammers look exactly like that.

Yeah, I know its just cosmetic. Thanks for the information, this is what I was wondering. If they just forgot to polish a part or if it was standard to leave that face unfinished.

Mus408

Hunter
Had my SBH Bisley out yesterday for some fun and just checked my hammer. It has a shiny appearance on that side but you can still see the cast marks and texture. Most likely it was tumble polished and then polished on the other sides.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
If you take the gun apart you will find many places where the metal is not finished or polished. Just look under the grips. :D

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
If you take the gun apart you will find many places where the metal in not finished or polished. Just look under the grips. :D
I use a flat stone on grip frame. So grips are flat. Always find burrs there

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
They use the face to adjust how the transfer bar hits the firing pin, and also to make sure the transfer bar drops free of the firing pin when the trigger is released. If it needs adjustment to make proper contact they file the face that contacts the frame. If it is working properly without any adjustment needed, they leave it alone.

DHD

Single-Sixer
They have answered your question as there is a lot of knowledge here. I've seen the same thing before on a couple of mine. I tend to polish/clean up internals anyway and the casting marks can no longer be noticed afterwards. It is a very forgiving design and does operate smoother after a little attention, or just ignore it and shoot it as is.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, but be careful as they can cause you to spend a lot of money on stuff (like more revolvers).

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The raw casting surface on the front edge of the hammer is perfectly normal although can vary from not very rough to very rough. It means the hammer was in spec right out of the mold, That's a good thing because it minimizes machining operations, which minimizes cost to consumers.

You'll notice one side has a rounded corner and the other is a knife edge.

I hate both and remove hammer, surface sand with a Dremel polishing wheel and than buff with stainless (white) rough. I also chamfer and polish the knife edge corner to match the other, and all around the upper hammer face lightly.

OldBrownGun

Bearcat
OldBrownGun said:
Hondo44 said:
The raw casting surface on the front edge of the hammer is perfectly normal although can vary from not very rough to very rough. It means the hammer was in spec right out of the mold, That's a good thing because it minimizes machining operations, which minimizes cost to consumers.

You'll notice one side has a rounded corner and the other is a knife edge.

I hate both and remove hammer, surface sand with a Dremel polishing wheel and than buff with stainless (white) rough. I also chamfer and polish the knife edge corner to match the other, and all around the upper hammer face lightly.

Thanks for this information. I can live with the hammer face, just struck me as odd. All around this gun was not as nicely done as I had expected from ruger. I've only owned two other rugers and one was a Mark IV hunter that I just purchased as well and that thing is beautifully done. I paid quite a price for this SBH Bisley hunter and I am being a bit nit picky but that completely unfinished hammer face stuck out to me, as well as an odd denting on the ejector housing that looks like it was put there either by straitening it or clamping it into a vice, also i noticed the scope mount half moon cut outs were not done evenly at all , all a little higher or lower then one another. Just a bit suprising to me, but again, all nit picky things I can live with. Still a big nice hunk of stainless steel. Im sure ruger would fix all of these minor issues if I sent it back but they are simply not bad enough for me to lose my gun for a month, and to cost Ruger time and money. Hopefully it shoots strait I plan to run a lot of rounds through it in the coming year.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I agree, I rarely send a Ruger back. But FYI, I've never heard of turn around going beyond 12 days.

Another thing to consider: the dented housing is the most egregious issue that you mentioned. Highly likely if you called Ruger Cust Svc, they'll send you a free replacement housing. And it takes no fitting, a drop in piece.