Super Blackhawk Base Pin Jumping

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jore1944

Bearcat
I have New Model Super Blackhawk stainless 5.5 barrel. When I dry fire it the base pin jumps forward a few inches and I have to reposition it before it can be recocked. This gun has only had 26 rounds through the barrel and has never been disassembled that I am aware of (I'm the second owner). It appears to me that the base pin is installed backwards. When the base pin is in the full rearward position it does not lock in place and the locking groove is inside the cylinder. The end with the small pin is the end that is forward. Anybody else ever experienced this? I am new to revolver and am afraid to disassemble it myself to reverse the base pin. Any input will be appreciated.

gunman42782

Hunter
Sounds like you are right, if the small pin is forward, then it has been installed backwards. If it won't come out all the way, all you have to do is take off the ejector rod housing and it will come out. Pretty straight forward, you only have to remove one screw. If you could post a picture, that would help, just to make sure we are understanding exactly what you are describing. And welcome to the forum.

jore1944

Bearcat
Thanks for the welcome gunman42782.

I did exactly as you said, removed the screw holding the ejector to the barrel, moved the ejector just slightly to the side, removed and reversed the base pin and reinstalled the ejector and all is as it should be now. Working perfectly. It took less than two minutes.

Thanks for the help.

DPris

Buckeye
With a basepin installed backwards, I'm very curious about how you could cock the gun.

That small spring-loaded pin inside the basepin's required to create pressure against the transfer bar to enable the bar to clear the firing pin as the hammer comes back.
Without that pressure, typically the bar butts into the firing pin & won't allow the hammer to reach the full-cock position.
Denis

jore1944

Bearcat
I only fired the gun three times and had no problem cocking it after I fired it. However, after cleaning it I was unable to cock it when dry firing it. But I discovered that by tilting the barrel up I could cock it. You are correct that the striker plate did hit the firing pin when I tried to cock it, until I discovered that by tilting the barrel up the striker plate cleared the firing pin most of, but not all of the time. Why I do not know.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Welcome to the forum.

Gravity is the answer to why the gun cocked when pointed up. Just not as reliable as spring tension from the little plunger as it was designed.

A cyl pin in backwards will cause the transfer bar to clear the firing pin if pushed in tightly. But obviously not designed to work that way.

Glad you fixed it.

jore1944

Bearcat
I agree Jim, gravity made it possible to cock the gun. I'm glad that I was able to remove and reverse the base pin with the help provided here by gunman42782. I would not be comfortable firing the gun with the base pin installed backwards. I am now curious if it came from Ruger in the condition or if the previous owner may have removed the pin and reinstalled it backwards. I I can find his contact information I will ask that question.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Not sure how you could install a base pin backwards. All my NM and OM BH's have a collar on the base pin that would preclude installing backwards...just sayin'.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The current guns no longer have collared cyl pins and SBHs no longer have grooved triggers, either.

Other current changes:

Laminated wood grips or black 'plastic'; solid walnut or solid wood of any kind phased out.
Hammers, triggers and ejector housing attachment screws used on blue models are all stainless as their blue counterparts were eliminated and weres phased in since about 2012 or so. The screw is black phosphated or some such, (if worn shiny they will not take bluing.) At first Ruger substituted SS parts when they were temporarily low on blued parts inventory. But it has become standard practice because these parts in blue can no longer be ordered, and are listed as discontinued! Stainless can be blued however by those refinishers specializing in it.
Blued cast steel rear sight body with Ruger bird cast into tang.
Dull blue finish.
Aluminum alloy grip frames have been powder coated instead anodized for several years now.
Internal locks being phased out in 2012 on those models that had them.
Billboard message on the bottom of the barrels; last 3 to 4 years.

edlmann

Blackhawk
jore1944 said:
I'm glad that I was able to remove and reverse the base pin with the help provided here by gunman42782. I would not be comfortable firing the gun with the base pin installed backwards. I am now curious if it came from Ruger in the condition or if the previous owner may have removed the pin and reinstalled it backwards. I I can find his contact information I will ask that question.
Hondo44 said:
I am comfortable ruling out that it came from Ruger that way.
I'm confident that the previous owner will know nothing!
3qzksm.jpg