Super Blackhawk appraisal and condition opinion (Pic Heavy)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

REB

Single-Sixer
I value the opinions of the people on this forum and you have really helped me in the past with my fathers RSS9. I would really appreciate your opinions on what you would rate this super on condition and a rough estimate of value. I know value all depends on the right buyer and what they are willing to pay, I would just like to get an ideal of average price. I tried to look on Gun Broker but didn't find a lot of examples.

As far as I know its an unconverted S47 1967 Super Blackhawk with the aluminum ejector rod housing and sight. Everything seems to be correct for the SN date. The box is not in great shape and I'm not sure what can be done about it, I'm open to suggestions. The manual and warrantee card are pretty good but not perfect. I also have the original receipt dated 9-5-1967. It shows a trade in of a JC Higgins pump shotgun plus $75.26. A price marked on the inside of the box bottom is $116.00. It doesn't appear to have been shot much but it does have a little wear. There is some wear on the end of the muzzle, I'm not sure if its holster wear or from the box. It Has a couple of scratches on the bottom side of the barrel from the base pin and a place on the bottom of the trigger guard that you can see in the right light. It has a little freckling on the back of the grip frame that I find is almost impossible to show in pictures but you can see it if you get the light just right.

I do not have a letter from Ruger at this point. I will get one when they start taking request again. Any additional information I need to know? Anything specific I need to ask when requesting the letter?

I'm not the best photographer and with the high polish I had a hard time with fingerprints and oil sheen. I tried to include pictures that show the wear as much as possible. More picture and the full resolution images are available at http://s70.photobucket.com/user/rexbennett/library/Super Blackhawk

Thanks for the help.

Nice gun, ratty box , but it IS "the" box...makes for the 'set', and around here that package is $750 at our shows. I'd bet the gun was made before 1967 as that year they had neck feathers on the eagles ( medallions) and the manual is dated 1965 so is "in between" those time periods, even though the receipt is dated 1967 ,who knows how long it sat on the shelf............again, NICE gun, should have NO problem selling it.

PS clean off that red paint from the front sight, a bit of acetone will take it right off :wink:

REB

Single-Sixer
Thanks Dan, I meant to strip the red paint off before I took the pictures.

I'm hoping it dates to 1966 and then it will be the same age as I am. I was just going off the SN range on the Ruger web site but I know its just approximate.

Anything I should do to the box or at this point just leave it as it is?