Super Blackhawk 44 mag.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JimM

Bearcat
My 44 mag. always shoots high. I have filed down both the front and back sights. I bore sighted it. The red dot was dead center when sights were lined up. It still shoots high. The groups are good but high. I have gotten used to it and know to aim low. Is it possible there is a defect in the barrel that makes it go high? This is my second Blackhawk. The one before had numerous problems and they sent me a new gun. Great customer service. The first one had problems with shaving lead and the base pin falling out but was very accurate. Any suggestions

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

When you file down BOTH the front & rear sight,, you are not correcting the problem.

Red dots,, when zeroed properly, do not have to be "in the center of the optical view" or such. You adjust the dot to the group.
(I had that problem long ago when I got my first red dot,, thinking the dot had to be centered in the view.)

Filing sights is a step that "once metal is removed, it can't be replaced," method. The correct way to figure out how to work on adjusting the sights, is to remember; "Take the rear sight in the direction you wish the bullet to go. or the front sight in the opposite direction you want the bullet to go.

I would have started shooting with the rear adjustable sight in the "middle of the adjustment" and fired a group. Then worked on adjusting the rear sight accordingly. IF, once you run out of elevation adjustment, you were still high, THEN maybe start filing.

Not knowing your load, your range, your method of shooting, your type of grip, etc,, it's not quite as easy to determine why you are getting high groups if you went both directions with the file. Your gun may now need a new front sight, and a new rear sight blade. (If the gun is a stainless Super,, then the front blade is an easy fix.)
Did you have a known good shooter try your gun, with your loads, at your preferred range?

But to answer your question,, barrels are not the normal reason a gun shoots one way or the other. So, no, it's not the barrel.

Funky

Bearcat
It can also be that the bore is not concentric, causing the revolver to shoot high, or low, or left, or right, or a combination of all above. Had a 1911 barrel that had that problem, sometimes it is Not the shooter. Good Luck and Good Shooting Chris

redfernclan

Bearcat
Dumb question, but how is your grip? I had the same problem with my 44 when I first bought it. After many rounds I found that the factory loads are just a little hot for me. It was shooting high and I had to reposition the pistol in my hand after every shot. I figured the recoil was raising the barrel a tad bit before the bullet left the barrel. Put on a set of Hogue grips and made sure I have a "firm" grip and that thing is deadly accurate. In my experience, the 44 is unforgiving for limp wristing it.