Super black hawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jmeadows76

Bearcat
Hello, I recently inherited a 70's model super black hawk from my uncle who passed away, It has some slight holster where and i noticed it has a jeweled hammer and trigger which i am assuming was done after the fact. it seems to lock up tight, and the trigger is awesome, Im just curious if it would be safe to shoot being as old as it is? Any advice would would be appreciated.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Made in the 70's and you wonder if it is safe being so old. Well friend, your great grandson will be able to shoot and enjoy it. They are one tough piece of hardware.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Bob Wright said:
HOW OLD ARE YOU?

Bob Wright

And this is pertinent because.....?

A 1970's Super Blackhawk is likely as safe as an SBH that rolled off of the factory line yesterday. As long as it locks up and lines up properly, she'll be bucking for generations to come.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
jmeadows76 said:
Hello, I recently inherited a 70's model super black hawk from my uncle who passed away, It has some slight holster where and i noticed it has a jeweled hammer and trigger which i am assuming was done after the fact. it seems to lock up tight, and the trigger is awesome, Im just curious if it would be safe to shoot being as old as it is? Any advice would would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum son.

In the lifetime of Rugers that have been cared for, not abused, and as you described yours, it's in the early springtime of its lifespan. Yes you're correct, the jeweled hammer is aftermarket. Not very popular these days on handguns.

Here's one that's about 5 years older than yours, WASN'T cared for and WAS abused. Shoots and functions as good as a new one:

standard.jpg

So I spruced it up a bit to look as good as it shoots:

orig.jpg

Rclark

Hunter
Im just curious if it would be safe to shoot being as old as it is?
The answer is yes.... But old??? Put your mind at rest. Even if it was first built in '59, you'd still be fine. Guns don't just 'crystallize' and have to baby 'em.... Enjoy it.... Shoot it.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
If it is a 'three screw - old model' (1973 and before) some extra care is needed for loading and carrying. Always let the hammer down on an empty chamber.

Ruger instruction manuals http://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html#

eveled

Hawkeye
If it has a half cock position, it is an old model. Never drop the hammer from half cock, bring it to full cock then lower it onto an empty chamber. This will prevent a turn ring on the cylinder if it doesn't already have one.

If it doesn't have a half cock, no special care is needed when loading and it is safe to have the hammer on a full chamber.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
eveled said:
If it has a half cock position, it is an old model. Never drop the hammer from half cock, bring it to full cock then lower it onto an empty chamber. This will prevent a turn ring on the cylinder if it doesn't already have one.

If it doesn't have a half cock, no special care is needed when loading and it is safe to have the hammer on a full chamber.

Actually all that's needed is to bring the hammer all the way back from half cock, then lowering it.

And there is special care needed to mitigate a full turn line even if it doesn't a half cock (which means it's a New Model.) When closing the loading gate, position a cyl notch over the cyl latch. Otherwise, the cyl latch pops up and contacts the cyl anywhere between two notches. So when the cyl is turned or the hammer is cocked, the latch makes a complete ring from one notch to the next. The unavoidable line from half way between notches to the next notch, turns into a full ring!

Also, polishing the rough top surface of the cyl latch as soon as you get any revolver, really helps to keep it from 'filing' the line around the cyl!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
There are three kinds of revolver turn lines that must be differentiated:

1. those that only appear in the cyl notch approach lead which indicate proper SA timing on old model Rugers and Colts.
2. those that start 1/2 way between notches which indicate proper New Model design timing. (this is also normal on double actions because the cyl bolt is designed to lift early to prevent the bolt from skipping by the cyl notch under rapid DA shooting).
3. those that go all around the cyl and are preventable with proper handling on single actions (and double actions).

POLISHING THE CYLINDER LATCH: For all SA and DA revolvers - the single most important preventative action you can take and the 1st thing I do on any revolver of mine, new or used is pull the cylinder (or open it, in the case of DAs) and polish the cylinder latch! They all come with file marks just waiting to carve out a line and groove in your cylinder finish!! Stainless guns are the worst, they gouge like aluminum. I have to look at the bolt surface with a 10 power jeweler's loop or my 10x gunsmith glasses (which are excellent eye protection as well) to truly see if the bolt needs polishing. What looks good to my naked eye can be bad enough to carve up the cylinder. The sharp edges can really do damage and don't need to be knife edge sharp to function and have nice tight lock up. Here's how I do it:

I swing out or remove the cyl and mask off the frame and breech face all around the bolt with blue masking tape because I use a Dremel tool and it can slip off the bolt. I wear my gunsmith 10x glasses and look for any irregularities. If there are any marks, I use a VERY FINE abrasive wheel in the Dremel tool to polish out the file marks, etc., but I don't touch the sharp edges or change the contour of the bolt unless it needs slight re-contouring to center it in the cylinder notch leads. If no file marks, I go straight to polishing.

With a little felt buffing wheel in the Dremel and white rouge (used for stainless steel) I put a mirror finish on it. This is when I also address the sharp edges; I leave them nice and square but just dull the knife edge with the buffing wheel and the rouge. And I don't overdo it.

6gun

Hunter
Old gun :lol: :lol: :lol: I have Winchester rifles a hundred years older than your gun made in the 1870's that are perfectly safe to shoot.

Yes your young gun is safe to shoot. :lol:

schloss

Single-Sixer
Jmeadows76, don't let these guys pick on you like that.

Just remember, it's not too old, and you're not too young. Shoot it and enjoy it. You'll find no troubles, regardless of load.

Have fun!...

Tip

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
So I spruced it up a bit to look as good as it shoots:

orig.jpg

That's a beautiful piece -in particular, because you brought it back from the brink!

(Great tips on minimizing the risk of a cylinder ring, too.)

Great thread, and congratulations to the OP on his entry into the realm of Ruger single actions! Welcome, friend!

single action

Single-Sixer
okay I regularly shoot guns that are over 100 years old and they did not have the quality of metal that you have in that super black hawk. Shoot and have fun if you reload try about 23 grains of W296 with a 240 gr. XTP bullet by hornady. they can be accurate out to easily 100 yards. enjoy the heck out of it. Bob

GhosT

Blackhawk
jmeadows76,

I bought my Super Blackhawk ,thinking 1981 when I hit age 21 and could,legally.

My first .44 magnum !-----------LOVED THAT GUN!

Ya said..."Im just curious if it would be safe to shoot being as old as it is? Any advice would would be appreciated."

Trust me,
As far as RUGERS GO....time has ZERO to do with it.

Ruger Blackhawks, Super-Blackhawks, Redhawks, Super-RedHawks...
Unless ya fire abusive loads,nonstop through them, they will out last you.

The fancy hammer,for looks, the trigger modification.....enjoy.

Ruger Super Blackhawks,are JMHO ....One of the best ,most basic,yet accurate designs RUGER ever made.

Ya inherited a cool gun! :)

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Varminterror said:
Bob Wright said:
HOW OLD ARE YOU?

Bob Wright

And this is pertinent because.....?

This is pertinent because I wanted to know. Seems sufficient reason to ask.

His statement regarding a Ruger revolver having been mad in the 'Seventies as being "old" piqued my curiosity.

Bob Wright