Summer is Coming

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MTHanded

Bearcat
Waiting and waiting for an SR1911 and just about had enough. Handled a Remington 1911 and a High Standard 1911 today and both felt good in the hand. I know this is Ruger Forum but are either of these two guns any good or should I wait for the Ruger? (still haven't held one yet).

hittman

Staff member
Well, I'm 10 months now on the "waiting list" for this mythical SR1911. Believe me .... SR1911 fever has long past me.

My basic $400 Rock Island performs flawlessly. I have half a dozen friends who own the Remingtons, both R1's (I think they're called) and the Range Officers. From what I hear and by what little I have personally handled them, they are fine pistols.

If you want to stay in the under $1000 or under $800 price range, there is a long list of quality 1911s available at gun stores today. I wouldn't hesitate to own a RIA, Springfield, Para or others ..... even a Ruger when they can deliver them.

The Wall

Single-Sixer
Ask yourself if you will, or might regret not waiting. The Ruger SR1911 is the first full size in that platform that I have had. It's a very nice gun in every respect. Now from what I've read and heard it is for the most part like most of the other makes of 1911's in the same price range. So if you're like me, I got the Ruger mainly because it was their first, and released in the anniversary year of the 1911. So I figured that would make my first one all the more special to me. So if you want one for any other reason than it's a nice 1911, wait. If not and you're in some kind of hurry to buy a 1911, get something else. If you're incapable of making these kinds of decisions on your own, try flipping a coin.

Gregg1LE

Single-Sixer
I was one of the fortunate ones that did not have to wait long to get one(8-26-11).It is a great looking and performing 1911.I'm very happy that I waited and I made a great choice for my first 1911.

If you can't wait but still planning to buy an SR1911 when they are more available,I would suggest loooking at a bargain 1911.The Phillipino 1911's (Rock Island,Citadel,American Classic) offer many features at very attractive prices.I bought a Citadel Officers size 1911 about 3 months after my SR1911(I had the 1911 fever bad),and am very pleased with it.
Shoots all rounds I put in it.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I couldn't say one way or another on your other choices, the Ruger is a good 1911. I have several 1911s and the others are pretty much just gathering dust anymore.

robfrommaine

Bearcat
I only had to wait a few weeks, so I was lucky. Like T.W. I wanted a 2011 "first edition" model that could maybe be collectible some day. Had I been on a long waiting list, I probably would have been disappointed and the excitement would have waned, but I would have stuck it out until I got one. It's a really nice gun to own.

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
I think I should buy Lottery tickets,
I ordered mine on the Friday before Thanksgiving, Dealer called me Tues night to tease me about what the Fed Ex guy had just dropped off. Picked up on Thanksgiving and had to wait until Sat to get to the range, Had a magazine/slide not locking open after the last round issue but that was a simple fix after some advise from the good folks here. I have not had any other issues so I think I will buy a lottery ticket, or wait for the e-mail from the Crown Prince of Wkfhzzstaniszinsky or wherever. and accept his off of half the crown jewels or something like that.
Have a Great Day

MTHanded said:
Waiting and waiting for an SR1911 and just about had enough. Handled a Remington 1911 and a High Standard 1911 today and both felt good in the hand. I know this is Ruger Forum but are either of these two guns any good or should I wait for the Ruger? (still haven't held one yet).

The High Standard is made in the same factory as other Philippines manufactured 1911's and is a very good buy for the money, the Remington is very nice, too...they are not stainless and do not have the features and benefits of the SR1911 but I would recommend you wait for the Ruger..it is worth the wait!! :) :)

Tellico

Buckeye
The new Remington Enhanced would be a good choice if you can live with a series 80 style 1911. I went with the R.O. as it is a series 70 style. As others have said any of the RIA top models would be fine. They are all series 70 as far as I know. Wait for the Ruger though if that is what you want. I gave up after 8 Mo. but may still buy one someday.

revhigh

Hawkeye
The R1's are very good guns. If you're spending $700 or a little more. Look VERY seriously at the Springfield Range Officer. They are very, very good guns. The best at that price point. If you're at $800 ... look very seriously at the Springfield Loaded Target models. Having said all that ... 1911's are pretty much 1911's ... if you can get the Ruger well under $700 ... it's a very good choice .... along with the R1 and the Springfield MilSpec. You really can't go too wrong with any of them.

If you just want something to hold you over until you find a Ruger ... I'd consider the RIA GI model at about $370, or the generic 1911 from CDNN at $349. They all work fine.

Good luck on your decision.

REV

SR1911Fan

Bearcat
I got lucky. I wasn't even looking to buy the SR1911. It just showed up @ my LGS. It impressed me, so I bought it. For $639.00 + tax, I think I did quite well.

SR19113.jpg

Only you can decide if it's worth the wait. :?: Of course that's easy for a guy that has his gun within arms reach to say. :oops:

forddave

Bearcat
stopped by the shop where i bought mine from and i asked if he got anymore sr1911's in and he said yes. but what he's doing is not selling them at the store, he's selling on an online auction site. i bought mine for $610(first one he sold) when he saw what people were willing to pay,he decided to list them on line to the highest bidder.last one he sold for a little over 900. wth???? well i guess the free market is working, but not for the consumer

XDM4545

Bearcat
I just bought one from Kittery Trading Post for $669.95. After shipping and transfer fees it will still be cheaper than most local shops. If you want one just call them, if they dont have one chances are they will get one soon. Honestly your the only one that needs to be happy with the price. I was stuck on stainless, so I would have paid more for the Ruger if needed because it has the look and features that I wanted and others dont have.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
forddave said:
stopped by the shop where i bought mine from and i asked if he got anymore sr1911's in and he said yes. but what he's doing is not selling them at the store, he's selling on an online auction site. i bought mine for $610(first one he sold) when he saw what people were willing to pay,he decided to list them on line to the highest bidder.last one he sold for a little over 900. wth???? well i guess the free market is working, but not for the consumer

Gee! A fine way to take care of your local customer base....... :? :roll:

I want an SR1911 but I bought a Magnum Research 1911 before Ruger released it. I am very pleased with the MR. No hiccups yet and was $650 OTD.
I will probably pick up the SR1911 in a few months.