Suggestions on a TSA 'approved' pistol case.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Flying out west in just under 6 weeks and I was reviewing Delta's rules on checking a firearm. The one slight hitch is I'm planning to take two Ruger P95s and they say that all pistols and accessories must be packed in one case. So, a standard factory box won't work. I'd like as small of a case as possible so that it can be packed inside my checked bag but one that can hold the two P95s, probably 8 magazines, a small pistol cleaning kit and a box of ammo. I figure the other 'accessories' like the ear and eye protection, holster(s) and mag holders really don't have to be packed in with the other.

Note, this is duplicated in the Semi Auto pistol section.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
Can the ammo be in the same container as the pistol?

Typically NO.

I've used Ruger boxes and I drill 2 holes in the plastic part next to the latches and put NON-TSA locks on them. Most airlines require 2 locks per box. Mags should be unloaded. I am not aware of an issue with multi mags in each box. Ear muffs etc need not be in a locked box. Ammo should NOT be in the box with the gun, but should be in the original factory box. I've done a lot of traveling with firearms and using these steps have had no problems. When you check in let the ticket person know that you have UNLOADED FIREARMS IN LOCKED BOXES IN YOUR LUGGAGE. They will have you sign a card that you will have to put in your luggage. Have all guns (boxes) in the same bag. I have had it go both ways, some will ask to look inside the box to confirm that the guns are unloaded, some don't. You will be directed to TSA. They will wipe each box with a cloth and test the cloth so use a clean box, or wipe it down with alcohol prior to use, just save you some time. If something pops when they test the patch they will ask you to unlock the box and check it again, if not you lock your bag and they run it down the baggage ramp.

Brules

Single-Sixer
Yes, you can put the ammo in the same box as your guns. The ammo must be in original style boxes (ie. they can't be loose).
I fly with guns a couple of times each year.

DO NOT USE TSA APPROVED LOCKS!!! These locks can be opened by the TSA (and as such, probably other airline personnel). If anyone tries to tell you they have to be TSA approved, FORCE them to to show you the reg. The reg actually says that the owner locks then up and keeps control of the key (or combo) and no one but the owner can have access to the locked case(s). They can ask you to prove they are unloaded, but then you lock them after the inspection.

DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE, NO MATTER WHO IT IS OR WHAT THEY SAY, TO PUT ANYTHING ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BAG THAT STATES/IDENTIFIES THAT THERE ARE FIREARMS IN THE BAG. Again, the regs (both airline and TSA) say that there should be NOTHING (no words, no markings, nothing) on the bag that would identify it has having firearms inside. If someone puts anything on the outside of the bag, with the exception of the bar code that matches the airline luggage tag, ask what they are doing and be persistent that it be removed. If they don't, call the LEO that is on duty.

The airlines know what to do (unless maybe it's a new counter person) and the TSA is supposed to know what to do.

A Pelican case of the right size (a little more expensive) is a very good case to put guns in to fly with them.

737tdi

Hunter
Blume, I use a Pelican case when traveling. Even my tools are in a large Pelican case for when I go out of town to repair our aircraft. This is the case I bought for my handguns. http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1520-Case-Camera-Black/dp/B0000DYVAV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445815997&sr=8-1&keywords=pelican+1520

Remember I work for SWA and I know how rampers are. One of the reasons I bought the Pelican cases is because they destroyed a metal bi-fold tool box and I'm an employee. I would never transport firearms in regular luggage and the Pelicans come with a lifetime warranty and are waterproof. If it is raining at the airport your stuff will get wet. JMOs.

Karl

Pretty much ditto what everyone else has said. You must use a hard case. I use a Doskocil 9x12 inch hard case, or if multiples, a rifle case again by Doskocil. I don't use the gun company case because that lets people know what maybe in side, plus increases the worth. I once had TSA in Alaska open my handgun case using an bolt cutter. They left a note saying they had done it, along with the pieces parts of the lock. It didn't make me feel a bit safer. I carry ammo in the original container or reloads in the plastic containers all within a tackle box-locked. Good luck.
gramps

rimmer

Single-Sixer
Do you need to notify the Airline ahead of time that you will be bringing a weapon for your flight?
Or, can you just show up with your weapon(S)?
Do they need to be in your Checked baggage when you go to the Airport and check in?

737tdi

Hunter
You do not need to notify the airline ahead of time. Just show up and go to the ticket counter where you will check your luggage in and notify them then that you are transporting a firearm. Do not open the baggage unless directed to do so, and you will be asked. Unless you are traveling on my airline (SWA) you will have to pay a bag fee, depending on how many bags you have. The airline website will explain the fees. It is really not a big deal, people make it harder on themselves by worrying and it is not much different then packing your underwear.

Karl

My one experience with flying and checking a gun.... ticket counter person called the TSA and the TSA agent here in Greenville inspected my pistol to make sure it was unloaded at the counter then put a firearm tag on the outside of the box which I had locked with a standard Master lock and I put that in my checked bag... when I got to Reno the tag was now inside the still locked case and I had the note (which I get every time I've flown) that my luggage has been inspected for my protection... seems to me that the TSA can open any lock they want to... if anybody has all the master keys or needed lock picks there are it would be our government.... in contrast.. when I flew back home the TSA agent at the Reno airport did not want to check or see anything... they said they would check it later.... so, personally I think the non TSA lock is really just a joke to make us feel better... kind of like the whole security check procedure.... makes 'us' sheep feel safe.
One final point... my luggage with the pistol was misdirected on the flight home and I had to report it and fill out a form to get it delivered to my house the next day... before I filled out the form .. the airline person looked at their computer and told me I had a gun in my luggage. Anyone that works for that airline and has access to one of their computers can tell you have a gun checked.

I ordered a Plano case from Midway this morning... a little bigger than I think I need but will definitely hold two pistols 6 mags, box of ammo and cleaning kit. I think I might have to buy a suit case to pack it in though....

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/885196/plano-gun-guard-all-weather-large-pistol-case-1725

That looks like a nice case. The two times I've flown with guns, I called first and the airline (United) told me to use TSA locks. I was flying from Phoenix to Chicago and didn't have any trouble. The other time I flew from Chicago to Phoenix, no trouble that time also. I did hear all sorts of rumors in AZ that the police in Chicago would confiscate my guns upon landing... I reminded them the airport is not in the city of Chicago.

I have flown through Chicago. The only problem being they wouldn't transfer my baggage with gun from SW to Delta. I had to pick up my luggage, and recheck it in. It made a 45 minute layover hectic
gramps

Well, I got the Plano case day before yesterday and I can promise that no one at the airport is going to hide it under a jacket or such.... sucker is big! ... not just the 18"x 14" and 8" thick they claim.. add 2" to those for the 4 latches on the thing. that's the bad news, the good news is I can put all my gun stuff I'm going to carry in it including the electronic head phones and all the holsters and such. One thing I don't like is what's imprinted in the plastic lid:
"Gun Guard".... I think a little work with sand paper will fix that.... now I need to figure out is how the pressure relief valve on the bottom is used.

Anther thing I'm going to do is get some stencils and paint "BLUME" in bright yellow on it.

Latest posts