Suggestions on a new home weather station

Help Support Ruger Forum:

737tdi

Hunter
As the topic implies I am looking to replace my old rain gauge/weather station. Any input is nice. I have looked at a few but would like some good opinions on what y'all use, if any. I want to stay under $200 or so and have found a few but I thought I would post and see what you guys and gals use. This is my choice so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1XCA9M?keywords=weather%20station%20wireless&qid=1445823278&ref_=sr_1_6&s=furniture&sr=1-6#Ask

Thanks for the input.

Karl

PS: The reason is the one I have now freaked out with this late rain event. It hit 12 inches in a day and it went berserk :shock: . No really it just quit working.

RugerHound

Hunter
Karl,

I bought the Acu-Rite 01502A1 and am very very happy with it. Not exceptionally expensive at 130 bucks, but doesn't have any computer interface to it. (Not any need for computer connectivity since I was forced into retirement!)

Its' wireless between the weather station and the display and requires line of site < 300 feet. Ours is about 75 feet through a plate glass window and does fine.

http://www.acurite.com/pro-digital-weather-station-with-forecast-temperature-humidity-wind-rain-01502.html

I've had very good luck with Acu-Rite stuff. The model I bought received good reviews and seemed to be very reliable. My experience bears those reviews out.

Good luck!

737tdi

Hunter
Rugerhound: I have read that folks have problems with the units in direct sunlight and showing higher then real temperatures. Have you had a problem with this?

Thanks

Karl

Glasstream15

Bearcat
737tdi said:
Rugerhound: I have read that folks have problems with the units in direct sunlight and showing higher then real temperatures. Have you had a problem with this?

Thanks

Karl

Me too. I'm on my second outdoor unit. First one lasted 2 years and it gave good outdoor temps. This new one reads way high in direct sun. The good thing is, the old display also works with the new one so I have the new color display in the living room and the old one in the den. And since it's picking up radio from the sensor it doesn't matter how many displays you use. The signal is there. Just pick it up.

JFB

Hunter
I like seeing wind speed and directions
windsok%20004_zpsrzjpl22w.jpg

https://prowindsocks.com/shop/8-panel-windsocks/

737tdi

Hunter
turd said:
gramps said:
I am old fashioned. I use an Indian weather rock, plus an el cheapo (less than $20.00)outdoor/indoor electric thermometer.
gramps

I watch the news at 10:00 PM. :mrgreen:

That doesn't work out here in the boonies. Dallas just got a good rain but we got a flood, over 24 inches in 2 days. Although we are only 60 miles southeast of Dallas the differences in rain amounts is sometimes very large.

Karl

wd4ins

Bearcat
Always used Peet Bros and Davis. Used to send weather via APRS/Amateur Radio. I see your $200 limit but just wanted you to be aware that weather data could be recorded from better equipment and be viewed from the Internet by you, friends, neighbors and the weather service can also use the data to factor into their forecast. You don't have to be a Ham to do all that either.
Just a thought!