Suggestions for the 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rhatimi

Bearcat
Hi all I just wanted some opinions on the ruger 10/22.
I recently had a chance to shoot one of these carbines and really like the feel and performance of this gun, however I have never owned a simi-auto .22. First of all are these guns safe to dry-fire? I noticed that there is no bolt catch to stop the bolt after the last round is fired and always end up dry-firing it after the mag runs out. Secondly how often do you guys clean your 10/22's? (meaning how many rounds do you usually put through the gun until you completely disassemble and clean).I plan on shooting it a lot and since it does have a tedious disassembling process I would hate to take it apart and clean it more than need be. Thirdly what are your overall experiences with the 10/22 satisfied/dissatisfied? do's and don't s? I have generally heard good things about these guns, but just wanted to have solid feedback before I put money down on it.
-Thanks in advanced for the help

Snake45

Hawkeye
rhatimi":33ubv888 said:
First of all are these guns safe to dry-fire? I noticed that there is no bolt catch to stop the bolt after the last round is fired and always end up dry-firing it after the mag runs out.
The firing pin doesn't hit the chamber in the 10/22. An occasional dry-fire won't hurt it at all (this is not true of all .22s).

Secondly how often do you guys clean your 10/22's? (meaning how many rounds do you usually put through the gun until you completely disassemble and clean).I plan on shooting it a lot and since it does have a tedious disassembling process I would hate to take it apart and clean it more than need be.
I strip and clean mine every other year (just did it a couple months ago) and it goes 5,000-6,000 rounds or more between such cleanings. Might need a drop of oil on the recoil spring and the chamber brushed out every couple thousand rounds or so, otherwise, just wipe your fingerprints off the steel so it doesn't rust and you're good.

10/22 is the standard .22 semiauto rifle, the small block Chevy of rimfire rifles. Put some good sights on it and go have fun!

hittman

Staff member
Without a doubt, one of (if not THE) most popular, reliable, economical, customized semi-auto 22's ever produced.

You can't go wrong with a 10/22 but......a couple other of my favorites are the Remington Nylon 66 and Weatherby MarkII.

hpman66

Hunter
The first thing that I would do would be to install a Volquartsen hammer. It should take your trigger pull down to about 2.5+lbs. You can order them from Rimfire Sport and Custom with no shipping fees. You will probably need to Google 10/22 disassembly and reassembly before jumping into it or take it to a gunsmith if your not too handy with such things. And while your at it, get a Volquartens Exact Edge Extractor and put it in as well. The factory extractor will probably work OK, but the Volquartsen solves a lot of problems before they get started.

Hammer:

http://www.rimfiresports.com/mercha...ode=RSC&Product_Code=VC10TH&Category_Code=R1A

Extractor:

http://www.rimfiresports.com/mercha...C&Product_Code=VC10EE/VC2EE&Category_Code=R1A

The Volquartsen bolt hold thingy is a nice add on too. I finally realized the problem I was having with my #2 10/22 is that I don't have one of these on it. the standard factory one drives me crazy with how it works.

I agree about the hammer but i would replace the spring at the same time.

rhatimi, don't get 'us' wrong... nothing wrong with the stock 10/22's, it's just that this is one of the more fun parts of them... actually making them 'more better'.

I clean and lube mine about every couple hundred rounds.... I just like doing it and don't find it too much trouble....

I've yet to see a barrel get dirty and even when you clean it, it will shoot better after a few rounds have been shot through it.

rhatimi

Bearcat
Thanks for all the positive feedback, I agree with the modifications and it is part of the reason I like this carbine so much, it's just very versatile. By the way have any of you used the rubber bolt buffer pin in your 10/22's? Ive heard of how this can quiet down the action as well as absorb recoil better.

hpman66

Hunter
rhatimi":3btp17hc said:
Thanks for all the positive feedback, I agree with the modifications and it is part of the reason I like this carbine so much, it's just very versatile. By the way have any of you used the rubber bolt buffer pin in your 10/22's? Ive heard of how this can quiet down the action as well as absorb recoil better.

I have used one and you can also get them from Rimfire S&C.

http://www.rimfiresports.com/mercha...ode=RSC&Product_Code=VC10RB&Category_Code=R1A

I have them on all mine and so can't say how much help they are because I can't compare. They do have to be the most over priced part ever made and sold... a 1/4" round, 1" long piece of extruded rubber or plastic that is probably worth about one tenth of a cent. I bought some 'more better' ones from a guy in Canada and they are a pain to get in and out when cleaning...

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
rhatimi":2osf6qjv said:
. . . how often do you guys clean your 10/22's? . . .
My first 10/22 was bought new about 25 years ago. I did a full takedown/clean/re-assemble once. I figured after more than 20 years of shooting, I would clean it - whether it needed it or not. :wink: Seriously, these things will just keep going and going. I only clean them if there is a problem. You will find that the magazines need to be cleaned more often than the gun.

. . . what are your overall experiences with the 10/22 satisfied/dissatisfied?
Guess I'd have to say "satisfied." (since I have eleven of them - twelve if you count the Charger)

. . . do's and don't s?
As suggested above. Get one, do the trigger mod, and have a blast. (pun intended)

. . . have any of you used the rubber bolt buffer pin in your 10/22's?
Some of mine have it, some don't. About the only difference that I can tell is a little less noise.

Here's a couple of pics from my collection:
click on thumbnail to see full-size pic.

hpman66

Hunter
Hey blume357, you must have a tough life :D :shock: :

The Volquartsen bolt hold thingy is a nice add on too. I finally realized the problem I was having with my #2 10/22 is that I don't have one of these on it. the standard factory one drives me crazy with how it works.

they are a pain to get in and out when cleaning...

the bolt buffers i got from the guy in Canada are of a see through purple colored rubber and they are a little more flexible than the standard ones from places like midway... it is hard to get them to fit back through both holes flush.

Volquartsen bolt hold thingy is just so much better than the factory.... you push it while pulling the bolt back and the bolt stays open, all you do after that that is pull the bolt back and let 'er go. the factory one you have to push on again with the bolt locked back and then pull the bolt back.

I know it doesn't sound like that much of a deal but when you are used to the Vol. one and then are using the factory one at a competition that includes timed shooting and magazine changes... it does make a difference, a big difference.
competition

This makes little or no difference with most folks shooting methods. Mine too because i seldom need to hold the bolt open when I'm doing my normal shooting. but if you are at a place with a range officer that requires the rifle to be flagged safe when you aren't shooting, then you have to lock the bolt open and put a 'safe' flag in the chamber.... again everything that makes it simpler.... just like with the extended mag. release.