Suggestion to Leupold

Help Support Ruger Forum:

picketpin

Buckeye
Actually Ruger didn't get it wrong. One has to remember the rifle was designed and introduced in the mid 60s and the rib fit the scopes of it's time just fine.

It really has been the switch to much shorter tubes and smaller scopes over all time that make the rib iffy with some scopes.

There are work arounds. I'm just too lazy and after 40+ years know what will work without problems and as I can still find them, that's what I buy.

For what it's worth there is a Leupold M8 3x on GunBroker for $275.

Ross

308longdistance

Blackhawk
L2H62,

Now I see why you designed the custom mount. You really need to set the scope back on the No.1 for your style of shooting.

I still haven't used the customs that you sent my way, but I may try one on the 7MM STW if I stay with the Leupold that is on it now.

Con

Bearcat
singleshot said:
I also found no mention of a 3X anywhere.. I am interested in this also, so if anyone can find it please post up a link..

Thanks

Singleshot

The Leupold 3x is available to be ordered. It was released/announced on the 1st Feb, I believe they'll start shipping towards the end of Feb. These are the specs on it ...

New 3x vs old 3x specs
Actual Mag. 3.4x v 2.7x
Length 10.3" v 10.3"
Obj. Tube Len. 2.95" v 2.95"
All OD and Length Dims are the same
Glass MC4(VX2) v MFGL
Adjustment Coin Click, Finger Click, M1, Target, CDS v Friction
MOA Travel 80 v 100
Field View 30 v 43
Eye Relief 3.9" v 3.9"
Weight 8.7oz v 8.7oz
Reticles All Electroform, Includes custom reticles v 5 (Dot, Leu-Dot, CPC,Dup, X-hair)
Erector VX-II design v Old Ball Pivot
Main Spring Dual v Single

Mine will be going on a No1 in 450/400NE.

A picture harvested from elsewhere:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/19264/filename/FX-II%203X20%20BIG%20BORE%20GLOSS2.jpg
Cheers...
Con

singleshot

Single-Sixer
So..

I just got off the phone with Leupold. As previously stated, this scope is through their custom shop and will NOT be cataloged. The price... hold on to your shorts.... $350.00 a pop...

I'm still sitting here wondering if the used stuff is still a better deal even without all the "modern" coatings and such..... I was hoping for a $250.00 dollar range, then I could do a couple and put them away for future projects.

RJ556

Buckeye
Con, I thank you for all of that info on the 3x Leupold. For that kind of money, I will have to do some precise measuring to see if it will solve my problems. If the ocular sits above the safety installed, then it will probably work for me.

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
ive had no problems with the straight tubed leupold 1x4 and 1.5x5s and the vari x and vx2 2x7s. My 2506 wears a vx2 3x9 and it works fine too. As a matter of fact all my #1 rifles have leupolds on them.

VinnieBoomBah

Bearcat
singleshot said:
I went to Leupold site and looks through their scope options (which is a horrible layout if you ask me) and tried to work the custom shop. From what I gather, unless it's listed on their main page, then it isn't going to be listed in the drop-down menu on their custom shop page.

I also found no mention of a 3X anywhere.. I am interested in this also, so if anyone can find it please post up a link..

Thanks

Singleshot

It's not on the web site. Call them and talk to the custom shop, they can set you up. Trust me. :wink:

Major T

Blackhawk
I bought an old 3x at a gunshow a while back-still good as new. It is longer and that may help, but the eye relief isn't close to five inches. If you can do with low power, their ultralight 2.5 does have five inches, but the tube is short. I don't think that helps as the long tube helps ofset ER. Maybe so the custom shop could make the ER longer for you in most any configuration. Jack

Latest posts