Substitute for brand name drug?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
I am currently taking Zipsor for arthritic inflammation of the hands. While it does work quite well, the price is too high for my likes.. Do any of you RF take anything for arthritis? If so, what is the medication , and what is the dosage?
I have to take one pill four times a day, and sometimes I skip a dose driving down the interstate.....are there any over the counter meds that might help....
While I do have health insurance, I still would like to pay less than$100.00 per month ... I know some of y'all pay more, but I'm trying to cut costs,due to work cutbacks, and the fact my quadriplegic son has bigger needs. If y'all can give me. Some idea of what to ask my Dr.for I would appreciate it!!!!!
Su amigo.....mexicanjoe!!!

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Found this on WebMD.

Its a review posted by a Zipsor user.

At $789.99/mo I expected more of this med than it is capable of delivering. Taking any pill 4x/day is a nuisance, but to find out that this is a very old drug just packaged in a gel cap to make it expensive again is insulting. The nurse practitioner wasn't impressed, either, and moved mo to the "old" version of the drug, Etodolac, which is only $72/mo and is taken twice a day. It works better because there aren't any highs or lows throughout the day like there were on Etodolac. We won't even get into the obscene differences in cost, but nothing about Zipsor justifies that expense.

Might be worth asking about. Good luck.

Dana

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys, I'll ask my Dr.for a different med.. Without insurance Zipsor is $755.00 around here.. That is insane!!, I gotta have it,though... Too many years as an instructor trying to keep my edge, and it appears I'm paying the price... I wore out a Lee Pro 1000 shooting 100 to 500 rounds a day....Ahhh the good ol days! MUCHAS gracias !!! Su amigo......mexicanjoe!!

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
I had an old black lab that got pretty crippled up and a nurse cousin of mine said to give her Gluecosomine with Condroitin. I did twice a day and in two weeks she was running and playing again. Now since i had arthritis in my hands I thought if it works for my dog................. :roll:

Have been taking it for years now and it has worked wonders for me.

It's over the counter too. We get ours at Walmart.

Glasstream15 said:
I take meloxicam too. But a minor warning. It can cause both liver and stomach damage. Keep some checks on your total health.
I don't know if you have tried Ibuprofen or not. A bottle of 1,000 200mg tabs is $13.00 at Walmart. The non steroidal anti- inflammatory drugs ( NSAIDS) have an anti-prostaglandin activity. Prostaglandins maintain the lining of your stomach. NSAIDS can and do cause gastritis, if not dealt with can lead to bleeding.
gramps

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
Bull Barrel said:
You don't want to take Glucosamine if you are diabetic.

All the literature I've seen has shown no correlation between glucosamine and blood sugar control issues in people with known, treated diabetes

FastEd

Hunter
RIVERSIDE, OH, Home of the Air Force Museum
My Doctor prescribes Naproxen which controls inflammation in my knees.
It is not expensive.
Occasionally, I take over the counter Naproxen sodium for pain.
Naproxen sodium is also marketed as Aleve.
Neither helps cure the fact that my knees are pretty well worn out.

RugerHound

Hunter
You might try looking at some of the Canadian pharmacies. We use CanadaDrug.com. My insurance stopped covering a couple of the meds we need, and we found them on line for less than the co-pay was when it was covered by insurance! I've seen Zipsor for under 300 bucks in Canada while it's 750-800 here.

The American medical and drug industries are a mess.