suberban ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

candybar

Bearcat
Hey I live in a suberban area we all know the kind where I have houses just across the street and even closer across my yard and on the other side of me is a park. My question is I have two 9mm an SR9 and a Taurus what do you guys think of using some JHP frangable ammo for the perpose of not haveing a stray round going very far through the wall of my house however they are still going to do some damage to an intruder. Thanks for your input.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
I've actually been debating and researching the same thing. I live in a brick duplex next to a family with 3 small children. I keep my SR9 loaded with Speer GDHP and my 870 loaded with 3" mag 00 buckshot. I know that as long as I hit an intruder (I am 100% confident with my aim at 5 yds and less) my neighbors and their children won't be harmed because of the decrease in velocity through soft tissue and at least 3 more walls. But, I would like to take the last bit of doubt out of my mind about a miss or some other unknown circumstance that would hurt anyone that wasn't meant to be. I actually saw a video on YouTube last night (commercial, actually) about varmint frangible ammo that seems like it would be perfect for home defense. I just can't remember the brand right now. lol I also have a magazine with ballistics on most common defense handguns from Speer Gold Dot.

I'll keep looking and see if I can find it and help us both out.

Your chances of needing to fire your gun are just slightly less than being ferried away by aliens hired by democrats....

If you had a need to fire your weapon in your home the only thing you are going to be needing to worry about is hitting your target not where the round is going after that.

Mike J

Hunter
I agree with blume. Just about any ammunition that gets enough penetration to stop a threat will penetrate a sheet rock wall. So you just have to make sure you get a good hit on your target. The frangible ammunition from the tests I have seen makes a really nasty shallow wound. It doesn't penetrate deeply enough to inspire confidence in it stopping a determined attacker.
If you go to www.theboxotruth.com there is a lot of information on penetration testing you might find useful.

donw

Bearcat
in the hi desert of southern california between te
stoke your 870 with 7 or 8 shot (for bird or clay pigeon)...you'll not miss at ranges within the walls of your condo and the shot will NOT penetrate the block walls yet will be devastating on an intruder.

the legal aftermath will be worse than the neutralization of the intruder, more than likely.

there's so many penetration tests out there it will boggle your mind and, believe it or not, the 9x19 is among the top in penetration.

i would believe that the frangible bullet is a workable alternative, though. but would not be much use against "hard" targets.

Glasstream15

Bearcat
Bird shot is NOT, repeat, NOT a viable HD round. It's for BIRDS. It will leave a nasty looking skin wound and this is one time it will REALLY make the BG mad. I don't want to get shot with it, but I don't want to be shot with a Daisy BB gun and I'm not a BG anyway. Frangibles in your pistol, it'll take a few shots, or #4 buck in the shotty. I load 4 #4s and back that with 2 00.

Penetration through walls is an issue but stopping the BG is a bigger issue.

candybar

Bearcat
maybe I should line my house walls with 10 layers of sheetrock that will stop anything but a high power rifle.lol

the dems already hire aliens they pay with health care and they get votes in return

I know the chances are slim but lets face it standing in front of intruder pointing a gun at him may in fact have me alittle nervous. then when I think about the fact that I may infact be standing there naked as the day I was born makes it even worse. my hands are sweating now typing it....needless to say my aim might be off just alittle in that moment and i don't want anybody getting hurt but the prick in my house.

offshorebear

Bearcat
I use 556 for home defense because it doesn't penetrate drywall very well.

Please don't use bird shot, it's worthless. A good hollow point 9mm will still over penetrate a ton but there's not much else you can do. Frangible bullets usually don't do well in gel tests.

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
candybar":drvsm3lu said:
Hey I live in a suberban area we all know the kind where I have houses just across the street and even closer across my yard and on the other side of me is a park. My question is I have two 9mm an SR9 and a Taurus what do you guys think of using some JHP frangable ammo for the perpose of not haveing a stray round going very far through the wall of my house however they are still going to do some damage to an intruder. Thanks for your input.
I would suggest a good hollow point. Unless you miss the BG and shoot through the window, it's not going far.
JMHO

gtsting

Bearcat
maybe I should line my house walls with 10 layers of sheetrock that will stop anything but a high power rifle.lol

According to the guy over at boxotruth.com, 9mm hollow points will penetrate 12 sheets of 5/8-inch drywall and keep right on going.

This fact bothers me a little bit, too. I live in a subdivision with mostly vinyl siding homes. Both my P-series pistols are loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124gr+P ammunition. Why? Because I know that this ammunition has a good reputation for stopping BG's when you hit them with it. The fact that it is a super-penetrator of building materials is an unavoidable reality.

I guess the best advice in any home defense situation is to be mentally prepared for how YOU want things to go down. It's your house. You know the layout and where everything is. You also know what direction your shots would pose the least amount of threat to innocent parties. Develop a plan for how & where you will take your defensive stand then practice it with an unloaded pistol. As you practice, adjust for anything you might learn. Then, in the unlikely event that you will need to execute your plan, you will be ready.

When I was a young buck I wanted to see what my fathers 38 would do... one round went through five 1" thick pine boards.

I thought that was pretty amazing until I shot an M1 Garrand last year at a 100 yard target we stuck to a 12" thick oak tree.

concrete walls are no match for 306 fmj.

candybar

Bearcat
gtsting that is probably one of the best ideas that I have heard is just make it play in my favor. I will be playing that out for a wile in my head just to see what happens.

I watched a program some time ago about a company that was trying to develop a bullit that would fragment on something as thin as a plane they wanted them for the air marshels if they miss no damage to plane and if they hit the guy it will not go through them and into the guy behind them I wonder if those ever came to civ market or if they are any different than the fraging bullets we have now. let me know if you know any more.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
Mike J":kujg2d8a said:
The frangible ammunition from the tests I have seen makes a really nasty shallow wound. It doesn't penetrate deeply enough to inspire confidence in it stopping a determined attacker.

That's why the SR9 is 17+1. LOL

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
I'm sticking with GDHP until I find something else that works better. Frangible ammo is getting more and more technology put into it. So, it's something to keep an eye on.

As for my scattergun, I keep 7 shot, 2 3/4" 00 buck, and 3" 00 buck stocked in the closet. With bird shot, as small as my duplex is(definitely not a condo LOL) it would do plenty of damage at close range, but I'd tear up my own property too with the broader pattern. And maybe hit someone else who is a guest in my home. So, I'll stick with 00.

Blume, I'll shoot the aliens too. I don't care if they're democrat, republican, or independant. LOL But, that's why I keep them loaded. Just in case. If someone enters my house by forced entry, I consider them a threat. Hell, I have samurai swords as a last line of defense. haha