Stupid Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gasmandave

Single-Sixer
Can a 45LC Redhawk be converted to 454 Casull? Will it handle it? I hear a rumor you could fire 45LC in a gun chambered for 454.
They say a 45LC redhawk can handle as hot a 45LC as you want...is that true?

Pal Val

Buckeye
You can fire a .45 Colt in a .454 Casull gun, but not the other way around. At least, not if you like to count up to 10 on your fingers. There's a big pressure difference. Also, no matter the heft of the gun, exceeding recommended loads is risky. It you reach a critical point, the pressure spike will blow up even the strongest gun. If you want to shoot at .454 Casull levels, the way to do it is buy a .454 Casull gun. Sounds like an overimplification, but it's true.

The question is not stupid if it helps you stay safe. In fact, it's very good.

D R Greysun

Bearcat
I think Val you missed the point of Dave's question.
"Can a 45LC Redhawk be converted to 454 Casull?"
and yes of course a 0.45 Colt Redhawk can be converted 0.454 Casull. The construction of the Redhawk differs little with regard to caliber be it 0.44 Mag, 0.45 Colt or 0.454 Casull.

D R

gasmandave

Single-Sixer
I had heard that you could shoot 45LC in 454's. Someone said you could shoot 454's in a modified 45. I didn't think that was a very smart idea. Messes up your Medical and Dental records I would think, but then what do I know.

maxpress

Buckeye
on the bright side the redhawk is a very strong platform and many articles have been writen on loads specifically for it bringing the .45 colt up to magnum velocity. some exceeding the standard .44 mag. (opinions on this vary). as i am fond of saying, if ya need anything more than a 300gr bullet at 1400fps your probably pooched anyway. or shoulda brought a rifle.

buffalo bore makes "+p 45 colt" ammo that pushes the envelope if you dont reload and is specified "RUGER ONLY". it is spendy but most dont need more than a box or so in the life of the gun.

Pal Val

Buckeye
I stand corrected. Back to the question: If the cylinder for the length of the .454 Casull fits in the frame, and the frame can take the added strain, the conversion is possible. I'm not an expert to pass judgment. But, knowing that Ruger came up with the Super Redhawk in order to adress questions about the strength of the standard Redhawk frame, and that the Super Redhawk is chambered for the .454 Casull, I see no need for such a conversion. It probably would cost less to buy a new gun that to make the conversion.

Then again, cost alone has not stopped others from taking on those jobs. The allure of a one-of-a-kind gun is pretty powerful.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Whoa!

Redhawk converted to .454 Casull? I don't think so unless Hamilton Bowen or one of the other extremely skilled 'smiths does the work. A 5 shot conversion would be safe path to follow.

Ruger's Super Redhawk in .454 Casull went though some extensive engineering development, including, but not limited to, some fancy steel alloys and I guess special heat treating, as well.

The .454 Casull cartridge ain't just a hot .45 Colt...........

flatgate

Kanook

Buckeye
I have pondered the cylinder swap myself BUT, if it was that easy, why doesn't Ruger produce it?
I bought the Super Redhawk and found I hate the grip. I will not buy the GP for the same reason. I like the Security grip and the Redhawk grip.

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
Granted that I am old wuss, AND that I have never shot a 45 lc, but shot a lot of 44 mag. That said, if a hot load in a 45 lc (not the 454,) or a hot load in a 44 mag wont do the job, GET A RIFLE!!!!!

gasmandave

Single-Sixer
I think the last comment by two bit okie sums it up. I have a New Model Blackhawk in 45LC, if I hot load it and can't get the job done then I need a rifle...a very big rifle at that! :?

mraywi

Single-Sixer
Reckon that about covers this story!!!
two bit okie":38f91x76 said:
Granted that I am old wuss, AND that I have never shot a 45 lc, but shot a lot of 44 mag. That said, if a hot load in a 45 lc (not the 454,) or a hot load in a 44 mag wont do the job, GET A RIFLE!!!!!

Snyd

Single-Sixer
The advantage that a 454 can have over the 45 Colt (which I have a couple rugers) is the same advantage the 45 Colt has over the 44. Larger case capacity which means you can shoot a heavier bullet at the same velocity. I see no advantage to loading the 454 to max pressure just to gain some range or better trajectory in say a 255-300gr bullet. The key is to load a heavy for caliber bullet and load it to 1100-1300 fps. So, if you load a 44, 45 Colt or 454 to say 1200fps you can launch a 310gr .430 in the 44, a 350gr .452 in a 45 Colt or a 400gr in the 454. At that velocity you keep the pressure down in the 454 and can keep the bullets from jumping crimp. What you gain is penetration which is what we want with handguns anyway.

But, it comes down to what your shooting at and why also. If you are hunting whitetail from a blind and have the luxury of shot placement then a 357 will do just fine. If you live in Alaska like me where you may have a run in with a big brown fuzzy, and are able to get a shot off, I want the bullet to penetrate clean through no matter what it hits and no matter what angle.

So, my search for a SRH 454 Cylinder for my 4" Redhawk conversion continues!

Greebe

Single-Sixer
I like Stupid Questions. :)

Here is a Stupid Answer. Sure you can do whatever you like, but you'll shoot your eye out. :twisted:

Greebe

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
two bit okie":1nj0e2hc said:
That's a fair and wise assessment, right there!

SgtSam

Bearcat
Get yourself a Super RedHawk Alaskan. It's a 2.5", big compact revolver that will answer your quest!

Otherwise, I guess you have the right to do all the damage to yourself that you want to. And maybe even qualify for a "Darwin" award. :wink:

Good Luck, and I do mean GOOD LUCK![/img]

Kanook

Buckeye
two bit okie wrote:
This is NOT ALWAYS the answer. I hunt in places where RIFLES are NOT ALLOWED. So to get more from a handgun is the answer.

And how about people that have damaged shoulders that can no longer shoot a rifle but a handgun they can.

And to think what it would be like if Keith GOT A RIFLE.

gasmandave

Single-Sixer
The reason I asked the question was that I wanted a heavy calibre that would be capable to do the job on "Big Brown Fuzzies" if needed (not that they are a common occurence in South Carolina) but would be easy to find ammo off the shelf in most Gun stores. The Super Redhawk Alaskan looks like a bad MamaJama and the gun shop near my house had one but they didn't and still don't carry the ammo for it. And 454 seems to be easier to find :shock: around here than 45LC is :? (I don't reload as of yet). I've shot wild hogs with a 44mag before and maybe my placement was a little off as it took a second to finish him. (He went down with the 1st but was still breathing). I've been to Alaska and would like to live there (in the summer :lol: ) so I would like to have a gun that was up for the task...(the mosquitos are realy big there :wink: ).