Stupid 1960's Western TV shows.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was always amused by the opening scene of the Annie Oakley TV show when compared to the always necessary bad guy chase at the end of each episode. In the opening, Annie (Gail Davis) is standing on the saddle of a horse running at full gallop and uses a Colt 45 to shoot the center spade out of a 9 of spades card that is being held in a cowboy's hand. The center spade on the 9 card is smaller than the one on the Ace, therefore more of a challenge. However, when they cut to the bad guy horse chase at the end of each episode, she couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. The bad guy usually fell off his horse just from laughing.

Along this line, I always felt bad for the horses in the Westerns with all those pistols and rifles being fired right next to their ears. There had to be a lot of deaf horses on those sets.

A funny scene I recall from a Wyatt Earp TV show episode was when Wyatt (Hugh O'Brien) knocked a bad guy over the head from behind with his long-barreled Buntline Special pistol and the barrel bent down in the middle at a 90-degree angle. He even tried to holster the bent pistol.

Not a Western, but I could never understand why Superman, after standing there boldly with his legs spread apart, hands on his hips and his chest proudly pushed out could take all six shots from the bad guy's revolver bouncing off his chest but when the bad guy threw the empty revolver at him, he always ducked. Go figure!

I'm sure they used some kind of ear plugs on those horses. Watch the opining of the lone ranger. He is galloping on his horse firing his gun directly over Silvers head. They had to have used ear plugs on those horses otherwise there would have been lots of accidents with horses suddenly going out of control from the gun shots.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
All make believe, just for entertainment. Roy Barcroft, who appeared in a large number of B-movie westerns and serials, said the hardest he was ever hit was with a breakaway chair. One gunwriter said when he tried Luke McClain's rifle, he realized it was really meant for Chuck Connors long arms. The Buntline Special that bent when Wyatt Earp hit the bad guy was probably made out of wood or rubber.
I read the British cavalry did train their horses to get used to gun shots, I suspect Hollyweird used post-production dubbing-cf. Luke McLain firing 10 shots to synchronize with the music.

I always wonder how many tried to load and fire 13 shots from their lever action like the Rifleman did. Seems that the blanks were a little shorter than a live round so they could load 13 rounds instead of the normal 12.

Here's a close up of McCain's rifle.

MhRQtHq.jpg

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
A lot of those rounds used were just smoke. Not much noise at all. The foley artists added the sound of the gunshots in later. Watch how the shooter often pulls the gun up well after the shot to make it look like recoil.

A lot of those rounds used were just smoke. Not much noise at all. The foley artists added the sound of the gunshots in later. Watch how the shooter often pulls the gun up well after the shot to make it look like recoil.
Who in the heck are the foley artists?

37fed

Single-Sixer
The cowboy action shooters have a procedure to train their horses. Commercial ear plugs are available, but some use tampons in the horses ear.

peachhead

Bearcat
I would much rather watch an afternoon of Wild Wild West, Have Gun, Will Travel, The Rifleman, Bonanza and Gunsmoke than 99% of anything on TV/streaming right now.

27 Man

Bearcat
Do any members from Oklahoma remember Foreman Scotty, Xavier T. Willard, Cannonball McCoy, etc. at the Circle 4 Ranch on WKY in OKC back in the 60’s?

Foreman Scotty and 3-D Danny, aka Danny Williams, were my favorites on WKY during the 60s. Danny Williams played a number of roles for kids during the 60s. He was also a great disc Jockey during the early rock n roll days.

37fed

Single-Sixer
Is that an add on plate on Connors’ rifle for the saddle ring?

KIR

Single-Sixer
I remember one show when Hardy was good buds with either Billy the Kid or Doc Holiday. At the end of the show wrap-up, Hardy says that in every good man there’s some bad and in every bad man there’s some good. :unsure: ;)
In one of the eps I watched yesterday, he helped towards the demise of Kid Curry...yep, he knew everybody.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
A foley artist is the person who adds all the sound effects to a movie. You know things like continual racking if slides or multiple clicks when a glock is drawn.

All of the sound effects from wind and rain to train wrecks.

Is that an add on plate on Connors’ rifle for the saddle ring?
It kind of looks like something someone cut out with a torch and stuck it on there. Even the two screw heads look to be different sizes. I didn't even notice that when I took that picture.

Liljoe

Bearcat
There are a lot of old cheesy westerns. But givin the state of TV now, I'll take all the old westerns. Heck, I'd even watch 80's shows like Alf before I watch a reality show.

Latest posts