Stupid 1960's Western TV shows.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunzo

Buckeye
Don't get me wrong, I watch them, have all my life & will to I can't no more.

An old subject I know, but why couldn't the writers just make sense???

Walked into the room & wife was watching Cheyenne. The first thing I heard him say was "that was the hardest $500 I ever made" I thought whaaaaaaat? :shock: That kind of cash was mostly unheard of. Bank robberies the same, the take all over the place. Relating to the economy at the time of filming I guess.

The sadder thing is, when ya do a google search on what this or that cost in the day is very difficult to get an answer. Seems Google doesn't know or doesn't want to discuss it. Asked the question 6 different ways & finally got the retail of a Colt in 1890,,,,$17.00.

Seems no one wants to relate to prices in the past, or even know any better.

Found that around 1896 the average wages of white farm laborers were about $23.75 per month, or $16 with board; while the wages of colored laborers averaged $14.25 per month, or $9.75 with board. Using those figures (I used $24.00 to round things out) $500.00 would be a roughly 20 months total wages

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I got hooked on old westerns while laid up with hip recovery. When weather's bad, I have GRIT on all day even if I've already seen the same episodes a week earlier.

gunzo said:
Don't get me wrong, I watch them, have all my life & will to I can't no more.

An old subject I know, but why couldn't the writers just make sense???

Walked into the room & wife was watching Cheyenne. The first thing I heard him say was "that was the hardest $500 I ever made" I thought whaaaaaaat? :shock: That kind of cash was mostly unheard of. Bank robberies the same, the take all over the place. Relating to the economy at the time of filming I guess.

The sadder thing is, when ya do a google search on what this or that cost in the day is very difficult to get an answer. Seems Google doesn't know or doesn't want to discuss it. Asked the question 6 different ways & finally got the retail of a Colt in 1890,,,,$17.00.

Seems no one wants to relate to prices in the past, or even know any better.

Per my 1897 Sears, Roebuck and Co. Catalogue.
Colt SAA $12.00
Box of 100 Central Fire (That's right Central Fire not CENTER) 45 Colts Cartridges $1.57
Winchester Rifles 1873 $11.86, 1886 $14.18, The NEW 1894 $13.98, Marlins were about the same price
100 45-70 Cartridges $2.98
LC Smith Pigeon 12 GA. Double $89.75
W.W. Greener 12 Ga. Double $187.50
Winchester 1893 Pump $16.88
Imported 12 Ga. Double $6.68
100 12 Ga. shells $1.41`

Hope this gives you an idea what stuff cost.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Focus groups loved 'em, people watched 'em, sponsors spent the money to keep 'em on the air.

One man's dreck is an entire audience's gold.
In the sixties, we didn't know any better. And there was nothing else on.

And some of us were kids, ferpissake. :wink: :lol:

Yeah, we're so much more sophisticated now we watch "reality" shows that turn out to be not quite so real and get our news from internet "social media".

I really can't judge because I haven't watched any TV for many years.

But back then we did watch all those westerns, cop shows, spy shows, war shows, and comedies. And very little of it has stood the test of time because times have changed. :wink:

blackhawknj

Buckeye
Yes, we enjoyed them as kids, then we grew up, learned about the real history, the firearms, look back at them, see the incorrectness, the anachronisms, then realize in 25-50 minutes of air time they were trying to tell stories, keep our attention. And some of found that books, reloading, home gunsmithing and other projects were a better way to spend our time-and made for better memories.

Snake45

Hawkeye
blackhawknj said:
Yes, we enjoyed them as kids, then we grew up, learned about the real history, the firearms, look back at them, see the incorrectness, the anachronisms, then realize in 25-50 minutes of air time they were trying to tell stories, keep our attention. And some of found that books, reloading, home gunsmithing and other projects were a better way to spend our time-and made for better memories.
Post of the thread! :wink:

gunzo

Buckeye
Well, I guess making 20 months pay on one quick job isn't unheard of, just a standout. Must be why they made a show about Cheyenne Boty instead of just any old drifter. :)

Hmm, a Colt SAA cost more than a 73 Winchester, & nearly as much as the big '86. I guess Colts have always been over priced.

vito

Hunter
The acting was terrible and the fist fighting worse. What seemed exciting to me in the early’50’s as a 10 year old just looks unbelievably cheesy now.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Hey, there's still amazingly bad/stupid shows on today. Just to name two, NBC's Manifest and LaBrea. These are the modern equivalents of Time Tunnel and Lost in Space. :lol:

eveled

Hunter
Not a western but I loved “The Rat Patrol”. I found some old reruns and it was horrible. The only good parts were the actual Jeep action scenes and they seemed to use the same ones over and over again.

I’m afraid to rewatch “Black Sheep Squadron”. I’d rather just remember it as being awesome.

Snake45

Hawkeye
eveled said:
Not a western but I loved “The Rat Patrol”. I found some old reruns and it was horrible. The only good parts were the actual Jeep action scenes and they seemed to use the same ones over and over again.

I’m afraid to rewatch “Black Sheep Squadron”. I’d rather just remember it as being awesome.
I understand completely. Had exactly the same reaction to seeing Rat Patrol again. And the same with Man from UNCLE, which I thought was so awesome when I was 11. It's just sad now.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Rat Patrol, Combat, Man from Uncle (and it's spin off) and just about all westerns seem to pale compared to newer shows. But what folks aren't considering is that Rat Patrol was filmed 55 years ago. Many of the westerns are even older. It was simply a different world.

Even Tour of Duty is 35 years old.

gunzo

Buckeye
Snake45 said:
blackhawknj said:
Post of the thread! :wink:

Had it ask; what are better ways to spend time?

But wife was watching Cheyenne. I've got the reloading & gunsmithing thing covered as well as most & still find time to watch my fave, Gun Smoke. One I didn't care much for when younger. I don't let all the large stones & cacti that have appeared in Kansas bother me too much. :lol:

Snake45 said:
eveled said:

I understand completely. Had exactly the same reaction to seeing Rat Patrol again. And the same with Man from UNCLE, which I thought was so awesome when I was 11. It's just sad now.

Snake,
Don't even think about watching Combat and 12 O'clock High :wink:
By the way Black Sheep was pretty dorky at the time. Yea I watched all of them with my Son. We have several items autographed by Pappy and met him in 1977. Also met the Jap who shot him down. Also met Ens. Gay both were at the same fly-in

Latest posts