Strip aluminum grip frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I have a XR3 Red frame that I want to strip of its finish. I have read posts that say to use the nasty oven cleaner, the can reads not to use on aluminum. Hmmm, do I use it or not ? If I do use it should I place it in a 200 deg. oven for 5 minutes ? Suggestions please. What if any would you coat it with afterwards ? Thanks, Jerry

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
As long as you're going to coat it afterward anyway, you wouldn't necessarily need to strip it to bare aluminum. I've done a bunch of the same style trigger guards for Remington semi-autos, rifles and shotguns, just by roughing up the surface with #320 emery and then bake-on Cerakote in either matte or gloss black. Very easy to do.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
How to strip also depends on how it is coated . The older grips are anodized and oven cleaner helps remove it. Newer ones seem to be a form of Cerakote and nothing but labor will remove it.
Sand or bead blast is an option but equal labor is required to polish afterward .

If stripping for polished look just be aware , they need a lot of "bodywork" when stripped .A lot of casting and finish sins were covered when coated.

32shooter

Blackhawk
I did this old model, it was drilled and tapped when I got it so I decided to make myself a two-tone. I used oven cleaner on it and steel wool to finish if I remember correctly.
2nSpqHv.jpg

iCrXFJY.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yours is most likely the anodized finish if it needs re-doing. Aluminum alloy grip frames and ejector housings have been powder coated instead of anodized for several years now which is much more durable. And the semi gloss finish matches the rest of the blued gun much better.

Since you want to refinish it, not polish it, your easiest option and likely the cheapest is to just buy a new XR3-RED size grip frame from Ruger if you have a New Model.

Since the alloy grip frames are not fitted to each gun, they come already finished i.e., powder coated. You can also check ebay and gunbroker for a nice used one.

For more money, about $40, you can buy a spray can of Cerakote. Push the button in the bottom of the can to activate and you have about 2 hrs to finish spraying. No stripping needed, just degrease.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I had purchased a grip frame from an online used parts source, it was not the one that they had pictured in the listing, but so be it. It is the one that I wanted to do something with but I will live with it as is. Around the last week of January there where several for auction on "the bay". I marked them so I could keep an eye on them until the final moment. Wellllll, early one morning I clicked on them to see what was happening and every listing had been deleted. Not sold but deleted. They were not all by the same seller either, hmmmm, wonder why.

Angryman

Bearcat
I've done multiple grip frames with oven cleaner and some sanding. They all came out highly polished and beautiful. The only hard part is cleaning the inside recess. But that can't been seen so I don't worry about it.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
Angryman said:
I've done multiple grip frames with oven cleaner and some sanding. They all came out highly polished and beautiful. The only hard part is cleaning the inside recess. But that can't been seen so I don't worry about it.
Did you apply any type of a coating, wax or sealer to them? I kinda like the shinny frame effect. Thanks, Jerry

Hondo44

Hawkeye
No coating is going to last long, especially on a grip frame. And look pretty sad when tarnished.

Consider looking for a used stainless steel grip frame, they come brushed or polished like this:

orig.jpg

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
Hondo44, the BIG hiccup with that is I am replacing steel grip frames with aluminum because of weight. At 74 my shoulder can not take the weight of the Dragoon frame, I also tried a steel XR3Red and the 2oz less weight was barely noticed. The aluminum frames are the best for me now. I am not sure what I will do in later years, a shoulder replacement is out of the question, I only have one arm and no one to, well you know do my chores. Thanks, Jerry

Latest posts