Strange Stock 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Redstick

Single-Sixer
I've only seen a couple of these 10/22's like the one I picked up today, but heard of another one, so that makes three all together. They have a Mannlicher Stock that is all one piece, but look like the forestock is from a different piece of wood. Tekman took pic's of it today so he'll hopefully be along and post them here (if'fn he ain't TOO :evil: MAD at me)...
The two of these I've seen are low serial numbers. This one is a four digit serial number. I was told by the two owner's of the two that I've seen that they were FACTORY ORIGINAL STOCK, but I doubted it. After the second guy told me his was FACTORY ORIGINAL, I still doubted it, but kinda wondered about it too. Possibly someone decorating up stocks just the same, and after seeing two and hearing about the third, I wondered just how common they were.

So does anyone have some info on this stock??? Seen 'em like this before???

Tekman

Bearcat
Taaadaaaa

gunshow_01.jpg

gunshow_03.jpg

gunshow_03closeup.jpg

Tekman

Bearcat
Saw one just like it down at Hole in The Wall gun shop years and years ago back when they were still in Richland, WA

BlkHawk73

Hunter
That's the first time I've ever seen such a creation in over 20 years of playing Ruger. Just looks too un-factory to me.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
Tekman":1dw5bqrr said:
Saw one just like it down at Hole in The Wall gun shop years and years ago back when they were still in Richland, WA

That was the third one, the one I just heard about and didn't see.

Like I said, I doubt it is FACTORY ORIGINAL too, but I would like to know what the story is on them and if they are found in other parts of the country as well.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Looks to me like a standard ruger stock that has been added onto. A grip cap is easy to add and the forward piece looks to attach right about at the point of the barrel band. Wonder if some stock maker was offering these at some point. Would not take much for anyone who has made a stock or two to make these up in an afternoon. Might of even offered it as a service for a customers existing stock. It would be very easy to find out what configuration the gun shipped as by calling Ruger and getting a letter. I highly doubt it is factory but never say never with Ruger. A little before the time frame of the early 10/22s mossberg offered a 22 with a full length stock that was two piece. So there was a factory gun to copy if Ruger was so inclined or at least influence Bill.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
When the seller/owner insists it's factory, that's when a mention of calling the records dept comes into the conversation. The reactions can be priceless. :)

Redstick

Single-Sixer
BlkHawk73":2smwj4o6 said:
When the seller/owner insists it's factory, that's when a mention of calling the records dept comes into the conversation. The reactions can be priceless. :)

Yeah; I've done that before on an Old Model .45 and .44 that both had a Brass Frame, the seller claimed FACTORY ORIGINAL (I could see one trigger shore wasn't!), but then changed his story when I asked about a letter from Ruger. :lol:
Obviously, I couldn't call today, but I will give them a call. Is it the same number for Revolvers? I never called for a long gun before.

Mike7mm08, what you're missing is that it is NOT a two-piece stock, it's all ONE piece of wood that looks like two different pieces there. That's the way the other one I saw was too.

Desert Dawg

Bearcat
Interesting version - if it is factory.

Any close-ups of the grip cap area?

I note that the grain patterns match in the above pics.
Some aspects of the grain match are a little off, but that could be due to how the different stains react with the wood.

Wondering too if the separator strip between the front and rear area of the stock is genuinely separating the wood or if it's simply a well inlaid shallow strip.

Is the Mannlicher steel barrel band - for want of a better word - the same as the genuine International model?

My guess would be that it's simply a gussied up Mannlicher.

In any event, neat gun.

toysoldier

Hunter
Looks to me like someone did a pretty good job of matching wood, but those are two-piece stocks, just like some cheap muzzleloaders that were on the market about 30 years ago. I have a CVA with two-piece stock; the spacer is brass and the stock held together with dowels and glue. I made it from a kit. That's probably where the idea came from for this gun.
The round inlays are puzzling. Maybe the tip of the original fore end was fashoned into a tenon, and the extension slipped over and cross-pinned. More like a carpenter than a gunstock maker.

onesureshot

Bearcat
Redstick":19tqodt9 said:
Mike7mm08, what you're missing is that it is NOT a two-piece stock, it's all ONE piece of wood that looks like two different pieces there. That's the way the other one I saw was too.

Looking at the grain in the one close up, I would have to say that it is two separate pieces of wood. The colors are off too, but the big giveaway is the wood grain.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
cut the pic, do a negative, color it, etc. It is evident there is a mismatch at the spacer, and the pins have some deformation. There is no end cap as Ruger manufactures. There is a blac-colored piece.

Probably a nice grip cap job also, but the pic is not detailed in that area.

All-in-all its a nice hobbyist job, and unique. Certainly not factory and certainly not shipped as a RSI. But neat nonetheless.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
onesureshot":wwwtdoiv said:
Redstick":wwwtdoiv said:

Looking at the grain in the one close up, I would have to say that it is two separate pieces of wood. The colors are off too, but the big giveaway is the wood grain.

That's what I thought FOR SURE too, but when you take the stock off, it's all one piece of wood and the white spacer thing is only inlaid into the wood about 1/16". I could've swore the grain didn't match too, and I look closely at this sort of thing, judging the craftsmanship from a luthier's perspective. But after seeing all one piece of wood on the inside, I studied it closer and the grain DOES match. It's hard to tell, but it does.

I haven't had a chance to call Ruger on this yet, but I doubt it's factory too, like the rest of you. I would like to know the story on it or who made them though...

bicclick

Bearcat
Come on Guys... that is not a factory Mannlicher stock.
No dissrespect intended, (I think it looks cool) but..Thats from Bubba's work shop.

Tekman

Bearcat
Redstick if you like I can take some more pix of the stock including the top showing the continuous grain, foregrip cap and the butt cap.