Strange SA Transfer Bar Conversion Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Let's say it's the mid or late 1970s. You come into possession of an original 3-screw Super Single Six and decide you want the transfer bar action conversion for it. You contact the factory about how to get this done. Would the factory have sent you a box (prepaid?) to send it back to the factory? Would it have been legal to have sent this yourself from home, by mail or UPS, and have it returned to your home, or would you have had to go through an FFL?

Trying to solve a little minor mystery, here. :?

Now, if you have the converted gun today, and all the original parts, is it more desirable/valuable to convert it back to original, or should it just be left alone and enjoyed as-is?

grobin

Blackhawk
I did this a long time ago (last century) so Ruger may have changed. Why not call and ask. As I remember they sent me a pre paid box for UPS and sent it back directly. As for the parts keep them so if you want to sell you have them to include. Leave the transfer bar in so you can carry fully loaded and if necessary cocked.

pisgah

Buckeye
I think that after 1968, the rules for such things have stayed pretty much the same.. They would have sent either a box or a prepaid common carrier label (likely UPS) and you would have sent it directly to them. After the work was done, it would be sent right back to you. I don't recall sending back any Rugers in that time frame, but there were a couple of guns of other makes that went back for recall or repair, and that's how it worked.

Yep, it used to be that they sent you the necessary label and you sent it directly to them, no FFL required. It was returned directly to you, no FFL required.

As long as you have the original parts, the only thing that matters is how you want it to be. When you go to sell it, someone might wish it to be one way or the other and you can fix 'em up either way . . . it's a ten-minute job at best.

Some might say you'd be better off liability-wise to only sell it with the "safety conversion" in place and the original parts loose.

JMHO

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
While never having sent anything to Ruger, I have sent guns to a distant gunsmith. Had to go to the FedEx facility to send, and after the work was done it was returned to a FedEx facility. I had to both ship and receive in person.

They will not take a firearm for shipment at a contract shipper's facility, must be FedEx owned.

It might be worth it to ship FFL to FFL, as they can ship via USPS, much cheaper.

Bob Wright

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes,, Ruger did (back then,) send a box to you if you requested one,, to send in a gun for the transfer bar conversion.

Keeping the original parts with the original gun makes it more valuable than trying to sell it w/o them. As to who does the actual conversion,,, discuss that with potential buyers.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I'm not interested in sending the gun back now.

The story is, I gave this Super Single Six to my Dad in 1975 or 1976. I bought it used and it had no box, papers, etc, though it did have the .22MAG cylinder in a red cloth bag.

At some point Dad learned about the update and sent the gun to the factory for the conversion. (I don't know exactly when.) I just inherited the gun again and it came in a nice yellow Ruger box of I assume '70s vintage, with all the original parts in a baggie (presumably unopened since the factory put them in there) and some factory paperwork in it. As I mentioned, I know for a fact that the gun didn't have a box originally.

The mystery part is, Dad had printed, very neatly in large, captital block letters, his name, address, and phone number on the inside of the box lid. I don't see any reason why he would have done that for the returned gun, but I can see every reason why he would have done it if he was sending that box.

Hence my question, if he'd contacted the factory for shipping details and so forth, would they have sent him a (empty) box to ship it in to start with?

Snake45

Hawkeye
contender said:
Yes,, Ruger did (back then,) send a box to you if you requested one,, to send in a gun for the transfer bar conversion.

Keeping the original parts with the original gun makes it more valuable than trying to sell it w/o them. As to who does the actual conversion,,, discuss that with potential buyers.
Thanks, Contender. I see you posted while I was typing my last post. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

I'm not interested in selling the gun, ever. But I've seen talk here about people un-converting old Ruger single actions, and I wondered if there was some advantage to doing do, or if one with the original parts in it was more valuable or more desirable in some way.

I'll probably leave it just as it is. BTW, I see that to rotate the cylinder for loading, you have to put the hammer to half-cock. I understand that with the new models, this isn't necessary, just open the loading gate and that unlocks the cylinder, right? I assume that the half-cock business is normal for my conversion?

If anyone hasn't guessed by now, this is the first single action of any kind I've ever owned. :wink:

grobin

Blackhawk
The half cock was normal and would require machining to change. Putting it back to preconversion has no advantages and lots of potential problems. With the conversion it's safe to carry the chamber under the hammer loaded and even carry the revolver cocked!
My current revolvers require the gate be open to load; this locks the trigger. Half cock does not.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The conversion transfer bar kit is different than the new models designed for the transfer bar. The conversion kit does not have the additional safety factor of not being able to manipulate the hammer and trigger like the new model.

Exception: the new model Bearcats use the old model Bearcat conversion kit. The frame is not machined any differently than the old model. Therefore they can be converted back to the old model action if you can find a set of old model action parts.

princeout

Blackhawk
grobin said:
Putting it back to preconversion has no advantages and lots of potential problems. With the conversion it's safe to carry the chamber under the hammer loaded and even carry the revolver cocked!

I would differ with the first sentence here. The pre-conversion trigger has an altogether different feel when compared to the Rube Goldberg-type conversion trigger. Given the constraints the Ruger engineers had when designing the conversion package, they did a great job, but nothing like the original OM design or the clean slate NM design. Load one, skip one, load four. Leave hammer down on empty chamber. Been working since, oh, about 1836.

The second phrase in the second sentence - I have no words to describe my thoughts about that. I would never, ever advise anyone to carry a cocked single action revolver. Wow!

Enjoy your first single action revolver! But don't be surprised if it isn't your last!
Tim

grobin

Blackhawk
princeout said:
grobin said:
Putting it back to preconversion has no advantages and lots of potential problems. With the conversion it's safe to carry the chamber under the hammer loaded and even carry the revolver cocked!

I would differ with the first sentence here. The pre-conversion trigger has an altogether different feel when compared to the Rube Goldberg-type conversion trigger. Given the constraints the Ruger engineers had when designing the conversion package, they did a great job, but nothing like the original OM design or the clean slate NM design. Load one, skip one, load four. Leave hammer down on empty chamber. Been working since, oh, about 1836.

The second phrase in the second sentence - I have no words to describe my thoughts about that. I would never, ever advise anyone to carry a cocked single action revolver. Wow!

Enjoy your first single action revolver! But don't be surprised if it isn't your last!
Tim

As the transfer bar is only in position when the trigger is pulled the gun can not fire if the hammer drops without the trigger being pulled. Try it and see, before you spread disinformation.

pisgah

Buckeye
grobin said:
princeout said:
grobin said:

Tim

As the transfer bar is only in position when the trigger is pulled the gun can not fire if the hammer drops without the trigger being pulled. Try it and see, before you spread disinformation.

Okay -- but what lies between a cocked Blackhawk and an unexpected firing except a 3-or-4-pound nudge of the trigger? Not a danged thing. Holstering and drawing come to mind -- I wouldn't recommend anyone doing either of those things with a cocked revolver. Tim is right -- carrying a cocked single-action revolver is folly, and an accident waiting to happen.

The transfer bar assures safety in a variety of situations that can cause an accident with a revolver that doesn't have one. But no mechanical device can make a revolver fool-proof.

princeout

Blackhawk
Posts like these make me thankful that I don't have to shoot on public ranges.

I'll go back to being a hermit.

To the original poster - try the trigger both ways, with the original parts and with the conversion parts. Leave it the way you like best.

Tim

grobin

Blackhawk
pisgah Absolutely right! Recently a cop (I think in Az) shot himself in the leg with his Glock, he got the string from his hoody inside the trigger guard while getting into his cruiser and accidentally pulled the trigger. If you carry a pistol or revolver cocked you run the risk of a discharge when the trigger is pulled. For the sake of saftey you must have a holster that covers the trigger; preferably a retention holster!

grobin said:
pisgah Absolutely right! Recently a cop (I think in Az) shot himself in the leg with his Glock, he got the string from his hoody inside the trigger guard while getting into his cruiser and accidentally pulled the trigger. If you carry a pistol or revolver cocked you run the risk of a discharge when the trigger is pulled. For the sake of saftey you must have a holster that covers the trigger; preferably a retention holster!
It would be much more prudent to NEVER carry a revolver cocked. Were I a range officer and you showed up with a holstered and cocked revolver you would quickly be given two options. Gently lower the hammer OR leave. The only time a revolver hammer should be back is just before it goes foward.

grobin

Blackhawk
actually an uncocked DA is as nearly as hazardous as a cocked SA. it doesn't mater that there is no round under the hammer. If something gets caught in the trigger the gun will cock advancing to the loaded cylinder and fire. Ive never had a range officer have a problem with a cocked gun. (Some competitions start with an unloaded pistol or a revolver with the hammer down for time purposes.) That's pretty much the only way you can carry a modern striker fired pistol. By and large range offices are up to date and don't suffer from nearly a century obsolete prohibition.

aside from the why or why not or how to the original guns "lockwork", the OPs question as to the factory sending you a "pre paid" in, is not correct, they sent the owner a box,shipper and a label to be sent back direct to them but through the normal
"next day air" or whatever Fed Ex and UPS used...……..so my bet is your Dad either wrote on th e inside of the box he returned the gun in or he wrote it in the box he got the "safety updated" gun back to him, along with the original lockwork they removed,,,this was the norm.....doubt they used another box, just the one he sent it in......we always told owners to never use the original old model box and always remove the original grips so as to NOT lose either of those items...….some at customer service back then also told people this ……….,.glad to hear you got Dads gun back...………. 8) :wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
grobin said:
princeout said:
grobin said:

Tim

As the transfer bar is only in position when the trigger is pulled the gun cannot fire if the hammer drops without the trigger being pulled. Try it and see, before you spread disinformation.

Grobin,

The only one spreading misinformation is you! Yes we all know that the NM/conversion design will not fire if hammer is dropped w/o pulling trigger, we understand your point. But the cocked SA still has to be inserted and removed from the holster, covered trigger or not, and there's the potential for the trigger being pulled, deactivating the transfer bar, and dropping the hammer, and is the part you forgot.

It's not safe to carry even a NM Ruger or OM with conversion with hammer cocked and a loaded chamber underneath it. And even with a holster covering the trigger. You proved it yourself with your cop/Glock story:

grobin said:
Recently a cop (I think in Az) shot himself in the leg with his Glock, he got the string from his hoody inside the trigger guard while getting into his cruiser and accidentally pulled the trigger. If you carry a pistol or revolver cocked you run the risk of a discharge when the trigger is pulled. For the sake of saftey you must have a holster that covers the trigger; preferably a retention holster!

Your saying this: "With the conversion it's safe to carry the chamber under the hammer loaded and even carry the revolver cocked!" is the true misinformation and just pure nonsense.

Just admit you got a little carried away there and move on.

grobin

Blackhawk
Hondo44. My point is that 10s if not 100s of thousands carry the way the guy who shot himself did. My point is that it's not horrible just not as safe as simply carrying the hammer down on a loaded chamber.

To the No and the other my apologies I didn't intend to high jack the thread.