Strange problem...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
With the .41 magnum pic thread in full force - it got me enthused about shooting one of mine - a SS Bisley .41 that I bought new a little over a year ago.

So, I set up my reloader and loaded up a dozen rounds to test out. Here's the problem - as I am loading the cylinder, when the first loaded chamber gets to about the 10 o'clock position (looking from the back of the cylinder), the case head actually hits the cylinder frame.

Upon closer inspection, there looks to be a "step" in the back face of the cylinder frame. I don't know how this could have passed inspection during factory test fire. Has anyone else had experience with this type of problem?

I can take a pic if my explanation doesn't make sense...

Kanook

Buckeye
Is it just that one chamber or do all of them do it?

You have a micrometer, does your cylinder mic out round (square)?

Could the brass be flawed?

These are the things that I would look for first.

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
As you turn the cylinder with a loaded chamber it hits the same spot on the cylinder frame regardless of which chamber is used. I thought about the cylinder being off - I mic'd it and it measures true. I have tried many pieces of brass - loaded as well as unloaded.

I will try to take some pics that show the problem tonight.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Every Ruger SA revolver I've had has a slight step in that area.
Does your revolver jam up when the case hits this point?
Does it just kind of drag over the area?
The cylinder frame could just need a wee bit of polishing there to smooth things up.

Joe

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Hi Joe, with a round in one chamber it drags over that area, but it takes some effort. With a 4-6 rounds it jams up tighter - I haven't tried to force it too much.

I looked at a few of my other SA's and I agree that they all have a small step, but this one seems to be a bit larger.

Thanks for the responses - perhaps some polishing is the ticket.

wildwillalaska

Single-Sixer
I recently picked up a stainless bisley in 45 colt. First time out to the range and learned it was a single shot. After firing, it would cock and turn the cylinder, but the hammer wouldn't fall regardless how hard you pulled on the trigger. When I tore it down found some machining filings, thought I had it slicked up and dry fired fine. Went back to the range, and upon firing same thing.

Would have thought factotry test firing would have shown the issue but really have no idea how many rounds are firing through the guns. In your issue, however, it would seem if only one shot, the cylinder would still be turned past the high spot.

Ultimately, I had to contact Ruger and send the gun back. Since I am in AK, they sent UPS to come get it. That was about 6 weeks ago, and got a call last week saying it should be returned shortly.

Will

Doxadude

Bearcat
Is it the primer draging?? Are your primers seated all the way? If you are using a lee progressive press that is common problem.

When I have had this problem, the cause was usually that either I had not properly sized the case full-length to get the base of the case right at the rim fully resized, or I was using lead bullets with a sharp shoulder that was close enough to the same size as the chamber throats to hang up just a little.

I have also run into lead bullets that were on the upper end of the diameter tolerance and produced the same failure to completely chamber. These I fixed by "crimping" with my sizing die.

JMHO

TexMike

Bearcat
Since you've had it a year, it sounds like this is the first time you've ever loaded it, and it's never seen factory ammo.

What is the length of the brass you are using? Max length for a .41 Magnum is 1.290 and trim length is 1.280. No chance the cartridge is headspacing on the case mouth rather than the rim? It might be hard to see a small gap between the rim and the cylinder.

I put an empty .45 case through my Vaquero and can see a little daylight between the case head and the cylinder frame all the way around. The empty doesn't hit the step; which is more of a gradual slope than a step.

Since yours is doing it with empty cases, we can rule out bullets seated too long and hitting the forcing cone.

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Great responses - I have some things to try when I get home.

It is true that I have never shot this gun - I do have some factory ammo that I can try. I can't believe that I didn't think of that, but that's a great suggestion. :oops:

The primers are not the issue. I am using 230gr Keith bullets and I do have to give a little nudge to get them out of the cylinder. If I don't have problems with factory ammo that could be the cause. I will also check case sizing, but I don't think that's it.

Thanks to all - I will report my findings later...

flatgate

Hawkeye
Arokcrwlr":k8tydmlg said:
I am using 230gr Keith bullets and I do have to give a little nudge to get them out of the cylinder.

:roll:

Perhaps the bullets are a tiny bit oversized for your Blackhawk's cylinder throats......or, the throats are too small for your "heavy for calibre" bullets.
:D

flatgate

tek4260

Buckeye
I have 1 Blackhawk out of 15 or so that I had to round the step to get rounds to clear it which sounds like what you need to do. Like you said, it was a little taller and a bit sharper than my others. A couple of passes with a Dremel and some cold blue fixed it.

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Ok, I tried factory ammo - no problem, so it's my reloads. So, I ran them though my factory crimp die again and put a little heavier crimp on them. Whatever that did fixed them as they now work.

Flatgate, I do think there are variances in my bullets that contribute to the issue. I mic'd a sample - most were .411, a few were as high as .4127.

I didn't initially suspect my reloads as I have never had a problem with them in other guns...

nn

Single-Sixer
It is reassuring that the fix was just ammo related.

Dale53

Blackhawk
My recently acquired SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible required reaming the ACP cylinder before I could even chamber my reloads with .452" cast bullets. The bullets were larger than the cylinder throats. After reaming everything is "hunky-dory".

You might want to slug your cylinder throats, just to be sure.

FWIW
Dale53

Beaver Creek

Single-Sixer
I had a similar situation with a 44-40 Vaquero. Some would drag and some would be so tight I would have to remove the cylinder to free it. Turns out it was the New factory primed Remington brass. The rims were canted so badly that when I stood them up on a flat surface they were leaning about 5 degrees.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I've had the same problem with a newly acquired .41 NM Blackhawk, a used gun but not much. The problem is evident only with Remington brass. W-W is no problem and too, it's only with one cylinder. I've not tried it with factory ammunition.

Reloaded rounds are as close to "tight" sliding in as I've ever felt on a revolver. I'd say that the chambers on this one are unusually tight. The same loads slide into a S&W M-57 with no problem. Same is true of a Flat Top .41 Ruger recently acquired.

Rounds ejected without firing do not show any burnished areas on the fwd part of the case, nor of the bullet. But the recoil shield shows a brass rub across it's face. I've polished it with ultra fine diamond laps to remove excessive tool marks and that has helped.

I'm guessing that Ruger cut this cylinder a little out of round, or left the recoil shield a little high, or Remington brass is 1/2 a thousandth too thick in the rim. Go figger....

The gun is so accurate, that I'm extremely hesitant to tinker further with it, or send it back to Ruger for a "hammer" fix or the fitting of another cylinder.

The 25 yd. targets below shot with the un-tinkered cylinder and a "smoothed" recoil shield.

Rodfac

P2111038.jpg

RugerNMBH41-1.jpg

Latest posts