Straight out of a novel: Legendary Nazi "gold train" found?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ProfessorWes

Buckeye
An armored WWII train believed to be packed with stolen artworks and money, which the Nazis sought to hide from the advancing Red Army, is believed to have been finally located in a tunnel in Poland.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/nazi-gold-train-could-contain-lost-amber-room-charlottenburg-palace-003707

Last week headlines were made around the world as treasure hunters claimed to have identified a legendary Nazi train packed with gold and money, hidden in a long-forgotten tunnel in the Polish mountains, the location of which has now been confirmed by the Polish Ministry. Now it has been reported that the train may also contain the long-lost Amber Room of Charlottenburg Palace, an early 1700s room crafted from amber, gold, and precious jewels, estimated to now be worth $385 million.

Poland’s Culture Ministry announced that the location of the Nazi train was revealed to a Pole and a German, whose identities have been kept secret, through a deathbed confession. The Telegraph reported that two treasure-hunters found the 100-meter-long armoured train and immediately submitted a claim to the Polish government – under Polish law treasure findings can keep 10 per cent of the value of their find. The Polish Ministry have now confirmed the location of the train using ground-penetrating radar.

The train is said to be located in an underground tunnel constructed by the Nazis along a 4km stretch of track on the Wroclaw-Walbryzch line. However, its exact location is being kept hidden, not least because it is believed to be booby trapped or mined and will need to be investigated through a careful operation conducted by the Army, Police and Fire Brigade.

. . . While government officials have said that they don’t know the exact contents of the Nazi train, Piotr Zuchowski, a vice minister for conservation, told Poland’s Radio Jedynka that its contents are “probably military equipment but also possibly jewellery, works of art, and archived documents,” Yahoo News reports. An announcement by the Ministry yesterday speculated that it may also contain the missing Amber Room, which was dismantled by the Nazis from Charlottenburg Palace near St Petersburg in 1941.

Read the whole thing.

Coogs

Maximum
Stuff like this is very intriguing! If found to be a "treasure" train, well, even just a munition/arms train, I hope it is well documented to share with the world as it should be. My only concern is that will become a political football and lost again to history, Coogs.

ProfessorWes

Buckeye
wheelgun1958 said:
If there is a possibility of the amber room there, I'll bet Putin will be involved.

It's not as if relations between Poland and Russia aren't already tense . . . :shock:

(And in fairness to the Russians, I can certainly see why they'd want it back.)

6gun

Hunter
If the Germans buried the train like they want to believe you honestly think they would be fool enough to leave all the gold on it? :roll:

6gun

Hunter
DixieBoy said:
6gun said:
If the Germans buried the train like they want to believe you honestly think they would be fool enough to leave all the gold on it? :roll:

Several American Army groups came upon huge caches of Nazi loot that the Nazis never got the chance to
relocate. So yes, much treasure was abandoned, in the hopes of being able to get to it later. Later never came. - DixieBoy

Well that's was back during the war the American army found stashes after 70 years I think the German government has had time to locate and recover it, it's fun to dream about finding a gold train but it aint going to happen all they will find is rusted iron.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
The Polish Government has stated that sonar/radar/ echo location HAS detected a train in a tunnel. They HAVE sounded the area to keep treasure hunters away and there is some fear that there MAYBE booby traps and mines in the tunnel and on the train.

bogus bill

Hunter
Reason tells me that yes, lots of that stuff must have went on in the last hours and days of the war. BUT reason also tells me there HAD to be a lot of soldiers and citizens too that was forced into trying to hide whatever. Reason also tells me that after the war the witness`s survivors would have went for the loot. It`s interesting and we all want to believe it. If stuff/treasure is missing unless it was paintings etc that could burn, any metals HAVE to be somewhere.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
DixieBoy said:
6gun said:

Several American Army groups came upon huge caches of Nazi loot that the Nazis never got the chance to
relocate. So yes, much treasure was abandoned, in the hopes of being able to get to it later. Later never came. - DixieBoy

Dad's unit came across one. Germans were smart. They did put in some booby traps, but those were safely dealt with. Toward the front they found the sorts of things GI's wanted, booze, weapons and such. Behind was an art cache.

Now maybe a German soldier might have stopped at the booze, but the GI's turned it over to their commands and it was dealt with by a unit that specialized in that sort of thing. I think they made a movie about them in the late 40's or 50's.

Pretty good movie as I recall, but then as a kid that sort of stuff fascinated most young boys. Think "King Solomon's Mines" type movie.

Latest posts