Story - Had to reach for my piece on a guy - first time

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I walk in the morning 4 miles and I am always concealed. Last week, I was walking by a local park at 0530 and no one was out, the sun was still down and it was just me and a few cars driving past every so often. Out of no where, a guy runs right up behind me and yells. Turns out to be a guy jogging who waited until he was right behind me to let me know "on your right" as he was passing. It scared me so bad I spun around and grabbed my piece but never pulled it from the holster but did definitely have the hand on it ready to release and pull. It was just instinct cause I am in the Memphis area and something could have been going down right then you never know. The catch is he waited till he was immediately behind me and not only that be he yelled it. Turns out it was someone I knew from 20 years ago and he didn't know it was me. I asked why he didn't do it at a distance instead of right behind my ears and he just said he wasn't trying to scare me. I said okay but why did you yell it? He said he didn't know if I had ear pods in or not. All was good and we talked for a min before separating but he almost got his butt blown off that day (exaggerating). Thankfully I was able to realize it was a fellow jogger but I guess that doesn't mean much either really since anyone can do anything at any time. I did notice though that I was not prepared. I wear a tight wife-beater and it was pulled over the gun which I wear in a owb holster and I grabbed the gun with wife-beater over it so was really grabbing my shirt with gun under it. This shows me I either need to train for muscle memory on lifting my shirt first, or just carrying open carry. I have been carrying open carry since then. This situation scarred the dog mess out of me the way he yelled out of no where. I carry an lcp max and had 10+1 at the time. It is important to be prepared in that split second and if there is anything you can do to be prepared, you need to do it. Imaging if this was a split second situation and I was fumbling with my wife-beater trying to pull it off the pistol. Learn from me.
If you did not hear the runner coming up on you it would not matter what you had on etc. he would have been on top of you , and "whack" you would be toast. The assailant could have used a quick deploy baton and you would not know what hit you. He would walk away with your firearm and anything else you had on you, including your life if he hit you hard enough. This is a perfect example of where a firearm will not save you, like it or not! . Pay attention! situational awareness, be aware of where you are at all times, closeness to cover, hiding places, people around you etc. That is what works the best. I will get grief from all the "highly" trained, armchair wannabes who think a firearm solves everything. IMHO

Reactions: SLG
I take my two dogs for a walk almost daily. I doubt that anyone could sneak up on me without the dogs noticing, which would give me warning. But regardless, I carry when we are doing this, I never wear headphones or earbuds, and frequently stop to look behind me. The only place I do not carry is when we walk the 2 mile long bike path at the community college near my home. All of this bike path is on school property and carrying would violate both state and federal law. But I carry pepper spray and rarely are there not others walking/running/biking on the path, which I think makes it less likely to be assaulted. And since one of the dogs is an 80 pound seemingly aggressive animal, that adds to my security.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I take my two dogs for a walk almost daily. I doubt that anyone could sneak up on me without the dogs noticing, which would give me warning. But regardless, I carry when we are doing this, I never wear headphones or earbuds, and frequently stop to look behind me. The only place I do not carry is when we walk the 2 mile long bike path at the community college near my home. All of this bike path is on school property and carrying would violate both state and federal law. But I carry pepper spray and rarely are there not others walking/running/biking on the path, which I think makes it less likely to be assaulted. And since one of the dogs is an 80 pound seemingly aggressive animal, that adds to my security.
Few crooks want to deal with dogs, unless they have no other choice. IMHO!

Ranger

Single-Sixer
You react how you've trained. Gotta ensure you train well. Two examples.

Many years ago, I was walking back from university library to off campus apartment through a crowded parking lot late at night tired and deep in thought. Heard a noise from my right and my foot was instinctively rising into a side kick without conscious thought. Person was on other side of car headed towards campus. No threat.

Member of a martial arts demonstration team. Working with a new white belt in front of a very large audience. Upon my signal, he was supposed to throw a punch at my head, which I would parry and counter with a roundhouse kick to his head. He must have gotten nervous or something as he didn't wait for my signal. He just threw the punch. I parried and responded with a roundhouse kick to his head and the audience probably thought it was very well coordinated. It was an ingrained response from lots of repetitions over years of practice though. The only conscious part was pulling it after it started so it wasn't a full strength kick.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
You react how you've trained. Gotta ensure you train well. Two examples.

Many years ago, I was walking back from university library to off campus apartment through a crowded parking lot late at night tired and deep in thought. Heard a noise from my right and my foot was instinctively rising into a side kick without conscious thought. Person was on other side of car headed towards campus. No threat.

Member of a martial arts demonstration team. Working with a new white belt in front of a very large audience. Upon my signal, he was supposed to throw a punch at my head, which I would parry and counter with a roundhouse kick to his head. He must have gotten nervous or something as he didn't wait for my signal. He just threw the punch. I parried and responded with a roundhouse kick to his head and the audience probably thought it was very well coordinated. It was an ingrained response from lots of repetitions over years of practice though. The only conscious part was pulling it after it started so it wasn't a full strength kick.
how does that work for the average 75 yr old person?

Ranger

Single-Sixer
My martial arts days are long behind me. I'm now closer to that 75 year old than that 22 year old. I still think people revert to muscle memory at certain times; but you need to train to your present capabilities not your past ones. As an example, if I tried to do a jump spin outside crescent kick against an attacker now, they'd probably be badly hurt... From laughing too hard!

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
My martial arts days are long behind me. I'm now closer to that 75 year old than that 22 year old. I still think people revert to muscle memory at certain times; but you need to train to your present capabilities not your past ones. As an example, if I tried to do a jump spin outside crescent kick against an attacker now, they'd probably be badly hurt... From laughing too hard!
Hey, I resemble that remark! Some days getting out of bed in the morning is a struggle.

I walk in the morning 4 miles and I am always concealed. Last week, I was walking by a local park at 0530 and no one was out, the sun was still down and it was just me and a few cars driving past every so often. Out of no where, a guy runs right up behind me and yells. Turns out to be a guy jogging who waited until he was right behind me to let me know "on your right" as he was passing. It scared me so bad I spun around and grabbed my piece but never pulled it from the holster but did definitely have the hand on it ready to release and pull. It was just instinct cause I am in the Memphis area and something could have been going down right then you never know. The catch is he waited till he was immediately behind me and not only that be he yelled it. Turns out it was someone I knew from 20 years ago and he didn't know it was me. I asked why he didn't do it at a distance instead of right behind my ears and he just said he wasn't trying to scare me. I said okay but why did you yell it? He said he didn't know if I had ear pods in or not. All was good and we talked for a min before separating but he almost got his butt blown off that day (exaggerating). Thankfully I was able to realize it was a fellow jogger but I guess that doesn't mean much either really since anyone can do anything at any time. I did notice though that I was not prepared. I wear a tight wife-beater and it was pulled over the gun which I wear in a owb holster and I grabbed the gun with wife-beater over it so was really grabbing my shirt with gun under it. This shows me I either need to train for muscle memory on lifting my shirt first, or just carrying open carry. I have been carrying open carry since then. This situation scarred the dog mess out of me the way he yelled out of no where. I carry an lcp max and had 10+1 at the time. It is important to be prepared in that split second and if there is anything you can do to be prepared, you need to do it. Imaging if this was a split second situation and I was fumbling with my wife-beater trying to pull it off the pistol. Learn from me.
90% of the people you encounter are blasting something through their ear buds etc. Completely oblivious to their surroundings.

Yeah if someone grabs a grand and takes off I will be splattering whatever part isn't directly behind the kid.

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
maybe, maybe not. That's a pretty broad generalization. You never know what someone else will do.
Given the many stories of complete strangers pushing others onto subway tracks, knifing people out of the blue, etc over the past couple of years - you're right and so is the guy that suggested a treadmill.

harley08

Blackhawk
Oh yea! stop beating your wife! LOL

Hey, I resemble that remark! Some days getting out of bed in the morning is a struggle.
Your Martial arts days are still with us. I can fight at age 72, but not like when I was 20-30. No high kicks, joint locks are your friend as is San chin (situational awareness). Up close, palm heels to the nose are a great get off me move, as are elbows to the head. Do not sell your selves short! Resistance is not futile! OTOH we carry guns so we don't have to fight.
gramps

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I run a lot and I often carry an NAA .22 Mag revolver.

I don't shout at people while running or run up on people in secluded areas but if someone spun on me with their hand on a weapon while I was jogging by minding my own business, not shouting or bothering anyone well, I hope their soul is prepared because I'm giving their skull an air vent

Be mindful of reaching for that piece because to most people that pretty much signals that it's time to fight to the death . I don't know you or what your intent is and I'm not waiting to get shot