Storage - A Different Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SWR

Single-Sixer
Ok- so my life is in a state of flux for the next year or so. No permanent home and no relatives around. I need to store my toys . I have scratched my head till I am bald and don't know what to do about how and where to store them. The only thing I have come up with so far is to use 2 or 3 extra large safe deposit boxes. I just don't know of any other secure storage. The only other thought is to bury everything in the far back far bottom of the locker under everything at the U-Store It. One wild thought is to put a safe in the storage locker but that sounded far fetched and someone else would have to move it each time. Any ideas ?? Maybe that is a business opportunity - really secure storage for larger items of worth - paintings, sculptures, guns, bulky items etc - largest safety deposit box I have found is a 10 x 10 x 24

Dan in MI

Staff member
Do a search for this "secure storage of valuables"

I found a few places like this. I just couldn't trust a regular storage unit.

http://www.bluevaultsecure.com/bank-vault-storage.php

What about PODS, or similar?

speedsixman

Single-Sixer
If not stored in a temperature/humidity controlled environment you will have rust issues on anything not stainless, and even some of that can rust. Temperature is not too critical as long as the humidity is low, but high temps will exacerbate the effects of moisture, and too high temps (like in an attic) will dry and crack stocks, etc.

I have pondered the same thing, but have no quick solution.

Myron

I would think a regular storage locker( locked with hi-security lock) with an bolted in safe would be adequate, as long as your guns aren't advertised. One could combat moisture with a golden rod, and adequate oiling for long term storage.
gramps

Xsales

Buckeye
If no people you trust around to have them hold them, consider shipping them to a trusted person

In their home (if propely air conditioned etc) is far more safe than a 3rd party safe deposit or storage place

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I have used a secure storage unit for years, much safer than ANY private home. Guns, ammo, gemstones, legal docs, '69 Roadrunner, etc.
- 24/7 temp/RH control. 24/7 video straight to the cloud (no video-tape to steal), keypad access, halogen lighting sunset to sunup, direct police alarm connections and fire sprinklers. Oh yes, the steel gates and razor wire...

IN any home targeted for theft, a safe can be cut open with a $20 carbide blade. Any dogs can be shot. Anyone home can be subdued. Indeed, anyone home can be patterned. Any home can be torched to cover evidence.

What was the question?

I really don't think humidity is an issue when storing something like this if everything is slightly oiled..... seems the problem with rust is usually from storing the gun in something with mass like a safe that can't adapt to quick temperature changes and thus causes condensation inside the unit.

except it sounds like you have too much heavy stuff... I always liked the unique way a guy on NCIS hid his gold coins in a storage unit..... don't want to let the cat out of the bag but it was quite inventive. Zeva figure it out though.

Viking Queen

Blackhawk
Title of Episode Dead and Unburied. :shock:

McGee and Ziva arrive at the storage facility. McGee is concerned that they will find a body, he hates that, but Ziva doesn't think so. Neither is prepared for what they do find: nothing. Ziva wants to borrow McGee's flashlight; she doesn't carry hers because it is too heavy and pulls her pants down. He gives it to her and then closes the door. Ziva finds a bag suspended from the ceiling that was hidden by the door when it was open. Now we see McGee's feet. Ziva is standing on his shoulders and directing him so that she can get the bag down. The bag is too small to hold a body, Ziva tells McGee. Big enough to hold a head he points out. What it does hold is gold coins. :wink:

VQ

Link to full episode recap..... http://www.ncisfanwiki.com/page/Dead+and+Unburied+Recap

Precision32

Blackhawk
Check the local gun shops. I know one large shop in town rests storage space for firearms owners in their vault.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I have had a business idea for a mobile lockup for large sporting events and concerts or airports for CCW travelers who hate leaving guns in a car and cant take them inside. Give NRA life member discounts, have discreet deposit box handling closets, not just for guns but jewelry and anything you don't want to lose in a big event.
We pull our big trailer unit in, have a nice sidewalk café screen awning for the waiting area, be gun owner friendly place in the parking lot. Make all signage promoting 2nd Amendment and safety and positive info to the non carrying public. I got to think one good weekend at the Texas State Fair and OU/Texas game would pay for the rig.

Latest posts