Stop me before I kill (these Bearcat round) grips again...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Oro

Bearcat
I bought these grips to harvest the medallions. They are really, really nice and I hate to do that. They are for a round butt Bearcat and are new in the package. But, before I do that, I'd like to trade them straight across to someone who could use them who has some medallions I can use. I am putting them on a Pietta SAA, not a Ruger so they need to be generic medallions, not Ruger.

My plan is to mount these medallions in some SAA bonded ivory grips for the Pietta. Then it will match the Ruger 50th medallions I put in grips on the same bonded ivory grips for the Old Model Blackhawk. Then I'll have vaguely similar medallions mounted in vaguely similar grips on vaguely similar guns. That's gonna impress a lot of people, I'm sure. Boy howdy. That's the plan. ;)

It hurts my gun-lovin' heart to wreck these grips just to harvest the medallions, so someone stop me before I do that. I've searched high and low and not found another alternative for decent grip medallions.

pix222398695.jpg

Last edited:
No brainer, knock out them medallions and someday put in a REAL set of the Ruger ones............👌

you can push them out with a 1/8 inch punch, push, not pound or you may crack the grip panel............

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Case heads that match the cartridge for your Pietta make nice grip medallions. Deaden the primer with a drop of WD 40.

There's a ton of grip makers with custom medallions. Google up grips, find medallions you like and order fhem from the producer of the grips.

Oro

Bearcat
That's a good idea. I'll think about that. I do really like the star medallions on those grips; I just can't find anything commercially available. I guess I'll call Altamont and see if they would sell me a pair or tell me where to get them.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I used a pair on Indian Head pennies on my Vaquero==had Indian head penny conchos on the holster & Bowie sheath as well!

KIR

Sparks, NV
The 1962 shipped Bearcat that was given to me as a B-day present by an ex-gf (RIP) and gave to my son and G'daughter as it was too small for my hand did not have any medallions on it at all.

no, the early Bearcats came with "simulated" ( fake) grips, no medallions, circa 1958-60 Ruger may have called it "Wonderwood" ???Colt called their fake polymer grips "Coltwood'...............thaat was LONG ago boys and girls........:cool::rolleyes:

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
I've bought a couple sets of grips with those medallions from Altamont, removed them & replaced them with black eagle medallions, which I thought improved their appearance a considerable amount.