Stolen Handguns in Miami

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cuad

Bearcat
South (Hotter than the hinges of hell) Florida
Hello all,

Our home was broken into last week and among the things taken were six handguns. Their information is as follows:

One revolver Ruger "Super Blackhawk" .44 Magnum caliber, 7.5" barrel, blue finish with original walnut grips, SN 8644647.

One revolver Ruger "Police Service Six" .357 Magnum caliber, 4" barrel, stainless steel with Hogue walnut "Monogrip" grips, SN Unknown.

One auto pistol "Armscor 45".45 ACP caliber, 1911 blue finish with Pachmayr "American Legend" wood and rubber grips SN AP240585.

One auto pistol "Springfield" .45 ACP caliber, 1911-A1 parkerized finish with white plastic grips, SN NM 43706.

One revolver "Taurus" Model 85 .38 Special caliber, 2" barrel, blue finish with Pachmayr "American Legend" wood and rubber grips, SN MB69221.

One revolver Smith & Wesson Model 28 "Highway Patrolman" .357 Magnum caliber, 6" barrel, blue finish with original walnut grips, SN Unknown.

The two revolvers with "unknown" serial numbers were purchased a long time ago in private sales and I never bothered to record the serial numbers. Lesson learned!

I thought it was worth a shot to list the info here in case anyone runs into any of them. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Angel

so sorry to hear, thanks for passing on the info, though lke you say, "No serial numbers" does NOT help you at all, unless they can come up with the entire batch at one time.......
lets the pawn shops know and hit any local gun shows, and pass out a flyer or two, info on the guns and the PD that is handling the case.....yes, stuff does get "found" from time to time.........

Cuad

Bearcat
South (Hotter than the hinges of hell) Florida
You're right Andyo5. I guess I waited too long on getting that safe.

Rugerguy,
A police report has been filed and the serial numbers are already in the database. I did put together a flier with this info and I'm going to a local show tomorrow just to give to the dealers and the police officers working the entry table.

Thanks again,
Angel

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Cuad":1kc723qv said:
You're right Andyo5. I guess I waited too long on getting that safe.
I made the same mistake several years ago but lost a lot less in value than you did. The thieves that broke in while we were away got a Sig 232, a Kel-Tec P32 and a S&W SW380, none of which I really missed except that I didn't want them out on the street. I did have all of the serial numbers and purchase info available for the responding police.

I used part of the insurance settlement to buy a HEAVY, solid Ft. Knox gun safe. Another case of locking the barn after the horse has been stolen.

contender

Ruger Guru
I hate hearing about any stolen guns,, but it's usually a robbery that prompts folks to invest in a good safe.
Good luck on finding YOUR guns.

artx

Bearcat
Man I hate to hear about your guns being stolen. I have worked hard for the guns I have,and taking a hit like that would be hard to replace. Its the time spent trading,wheeling and dealing,going to the shows and what not that you can't get back. As for the safes if you have a budget look around at estate sales,antique stores and in the paper. Although they may not be fancy like the new ones, in some cases maybe better. I have some safes that I bought at estate sales for a fraction of the price for a new one. I bought one safe at a sale for 200 and its about 800 pounds and is fire rated and burglary rated. Although its small and cannot hold rifles, it can hold about 50 or so pistols in the zipper cases. Good luck with your search. Please keep us posted.

contender

Ruger Guru
I forgot to mention,, a good list,, copied and kept in a few different places is also invaluable. And safes are good for more than guns,, as is making lists of other valuables.

artx

Bearcat
Another good thing to do is take pictures of the guns and serial numbers. You can also turn those in to your home owners insurance company for records. At least that way they will have a record of what weapons you have in your house. And if you trade like I do,update the records with your agent.

paul s

Bearcat
Do not wait for the police to call you and tell you they have your guns. Your guns could end up in a PD or Sheriffs property room, and sit there for years! Call every six months or so your local law enforcment agencys and ask for the property room then ask if they have your guns (descirbtion & serial numbers) I worked many years in a PD property room and found a bunch of stolen guns for buddys who had them stolen from them up to 12 years from that date!

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
I photographed all my guns and got a picture of the serial #'s too for reference and insurance purposes. I also listed the serial numbers on a spread sheet so it was easy to have several digital copies as well as paper copies.

I have also marked my guns with IDNA from Forensic Security Systems so that they have another unique identification, in addition to the serial #s, that is virtually impossible for any thief to remove. See www.forensicsecuritysystems.com

Bad luck on getting your collection taken, that is one of my major worries, no one want s to lose their babies and no one wants to think of them out on the streets.

rugerbh73

Bearcat
Sorry to hear that.

Don't give up hope on finding them. A friend of mine had a Super Redhawk and a MK1 target model stolen from his home about 4 or 5 weeks ago. He had not recorded the serial numbers. This past week the SO called him to come in and ID his MK1. The MK1 had laminated target grips installed on it and that's how he described it to the SO. The thieves were caught breaking into another home and the MK1 was in the vehicle they were using. Still no word on the SRH but he's still hoping.

Good luck

boomslang

Bearcat
I agree with everyone here. A good gun safe is essential.

In addition to that I have high resolution pictures of my guns, showing serial numbers I have these pictures stored on photobucket. Soon, I will have a "portfolio" of my guns at the insurance agents office.

pawncop

Blackhawk
Cuad,

I am also very sorry and just a little pi@@ed for your loss. I will add this to my data base and would ask you to PM me regarding another place to post the serial numbers.

federali

Bearcat
Amazingly, the NRA fights legislative attempts to force people to secure their guns properly. On the one hand, it appears to violate both our second and fourth amendment rights but I feel that as gun owner and users, the more guns we provide to the underworld through carelessness, the more restrictive gun legislation we will face, particularly when a readily accessible gun ends up used in a high profile shooting.

Part of the anti-gun agenda is to hold gun owners civilly responsible for subsequent criminal misuse of their stolen guns. It's regrettable that your handguns were stolen and I do hope they are recovered.

Regarding safes: with so many retail stores closing because of the state of the economy and internet competition, you should be able to find a good used safe. Better yet, sometimes, the store keeper will give you the safe provided you move it out.