Stocking a Springfield Mark I 1903 action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I realize this isn't a Ruger situation, but it is neat and may save some old "dusty GrandPa" pieces stacked in a closet out there.
I'm looking for someone to finish fitting a Springfield '03 Mk I action to a military stock. I inherited this, the butt plate, lower swivel and bottom metal seem to be well fitted but the upper wood and upper barrel band aren't well fitted. This is obviously a replacement stock, I believe I can see drawknife strokes near the right rear tang/pistol grip. The stock is walnut. Any suggestions as to who would be interested would be appreciated. I believe the action is really good and worth the investment, a Mark I with a Pedersen cut. Seems to me it should be fitted properly to a good stock.
Thanks,
John

Well, here's my 2 pennies worth: Some of the military stocks were not 'well finished' from the beginning. Is it possible that you have a stock from an "03 A3" which had a receiver mounted rather than a barrel mounted rear sight? An 03 old enough to have the "Pederson cut" would likely also have the stock with the thinner straight grip profile vs the thicker straight grip or the 'C' grip profile.
Don't take this the wrong way but anything 'not original' makes the rifle just another 'old Army gun'. If this is intended to be an investment, changing /replacing the stock with anything other than an exact, original part will destroy or significantly reduce the value.