Stock options for a Ruger 77/22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Doc Nonverbal

Bearcat
Hello all,

I have a 77/22WMR stainless that came with a laminated stock, but I'd like to find something a little more all-weather (i.e., not wood). I like the utilitarian looks of the Ruger skeleton / boat-paddle stocks, but don't know anything about them. Are they stable enough to get good accuracy? Were they ever made in green Zytel for the 77/22? I've seen green boat-paddle stocks, but wasn't sure if they were just painted.

If anyone has any other suggestions for a 77/22 stock, I'd appreciate the guidance. I'm not seeing a lot of options out there, but realize I'm probably not looking in the right places.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rocdoc

Buckeye
My very first Ruger was/is a 7mag boat paddle early 1990s. Stock is tough as nails. I do not think there was any color except black. I know the inserts came in green (early?) black and wood. They must have made these for 22mag 77/22 because I came really close to buying one in 17hrm I watched at a store for a couple months off and on.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Laminated stocks are pretty stable and weather resistant. The layers of wood are impregnated with the resin binder that holds them together and that makes it very waterproof and warp resistant.

They are sometime sneered at as "plywood" stocks but they are both strong and stable, far better than a single piece wood stock.

Doc Nonverbal

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
Laminated stocks are pretty stable and weather resistant. The layers of wood are impregnated with the resin binder that holds them together and that makes it very waterproof and warp resistant.

They are sometime sneered at as "plywood" stocks but they are both strong and stable, far better than a single piece wood stock.

I was thinking about this. The source of my bias is having hunted with single-piece wood stocks and having dents appear in the stock that I don't recall how they got there. I really like the look of a nice piece of wood, but dents and scratches sure are eyesores. I also worry about moisture/humidity messing up the finish, but I haven't had any problems with this so far.

I've never hunted with a laminated stock. This one is pretty, but it's also on the heavy side.

I'll have to keep an eye out for a boat paddle stock.

Doc Nonverbal

Bearcat
Rocdoc said:
My very first Ruger was/is a 7mag boat paddle early 1990s. Stock is tough as nails. I do not think there was any color except black. I know the inserts came in green (early?) black and wood. They must have made these for 22mag 77/22 because I came really close to buying one in 17hrm I watched at a store for a couple months off and on.

Thank you for the information on the color. It's hard to tell in some of the photos I've seen. If they made green, I'd hold out and wait for one. If it's not an option then I don't need to worry about it.

contender

Ruger Guru
My 77/22 came with the Zytel boat paddle stock. Black with green inserts. The black color is a flat, dull color now. I don't think they made any in green,,, just the inserts.