Stock Blackhawk Barrel Lengths

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Suncoast

Bearcat
Hi all

This is my first post on this forum so if this qualifies as a dumb question...my apologies in advance.

I have been a Colt Revolver collector for quite some time but have recently become interested in a couple of Blackhawks my local gun shop has in the showcase. I have done a fair amount of research and found a few vague references to lead me to believe that anything over a 7.5 inch barrel is an after purchase re-work. Wikepedia (admittedly not the most trustworthy reference source) supports that.

Could someone give me a rundown on the factory barrel lengths? There are both a 9.5 and a 12 inch model at the shop. One of them may be traveling home with me this weekend.

Thanks in advance for educating the newbie :wink:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Depends on which chambering as some chamberings aren't available in all bbl lengths. The ones that are made are, 4 5/8", 5 1/2", 6 1/2" and 7 1/2". There have been a rare few 10 1/2" BH's made as well. Same lengths got with the Super BH's as well except the 10 1/2" length is a staple for that model.

flatgate

Hawkeye
IIRC, there are one or two "verifiable" 12" barreled Super Blackhawks and that's it.

The 9-1/2" length is found ONLY on the Single-Six line up. They were first introduced in 1959.

Quite a few of the .357 and .44 Flattops were made with 10" barrels back in the '59-'62 era. The 10-1/2" didn't appear in the Super Blackhawk line and the .357 maxi "Silhouette" guns until '82 or '83 if my fuzzy memory serves me correctly..... :D

Welcome to Ruger Forum!

flatgate

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Flatgate's post eludes to two key pieces of data that are needed to respond to the OP's question - what caliber and what vintage? Post the serial number and caliber, then we can better assist.

Also, of course, be sure to measure from muzzle all the way to the forcing cone.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
So, like this?

BKH40-20917-left.jpg

10" flattop Blackhawk in .44 Mag

Suncoast

Bearcat
That's the one. It has fancier inlaid grips but that is the gun. i don't do a lot of hunting so it will be a range gun more than anything else. To be honest, the cost and lack of availability of the ammo to someone like me who does not reload is one factor.

In 98% condition, gun only, what would be a good price on the pictured weapon?

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
That one I showed is 99% and has the box which is a good part of the value. I have the whole package valued at $2,250 but it should likely be higher. There is a correct but somewhat rough box on eBay right now bid at $635 with 2 days to go. The gun should be about $1800, the box another half of that.

You should get the SN and call Ruger Records at 603-865-2424 to confirm the barrel length. The correct model for a 10" flattop .44 Mag is BKH40.

Suncoast

Bearcat
I'll get the specifics and maybe a pic on Tuesday. Strangely, these guns seem to just sit at the local shops.

I am kind of new to these so i haven't yet learned how to differentiate the subtleties by sight. Hopefully I am not too far off on my ID

Bucks Owin

Hunter
The 10" .44 FT in my avatar set me back $995 about 3-4 yrs ago. It was in really nice condition, GREAT shooter, a little bluing wear at the muzzle, front of cyl, and a cracked stock. I saw one (10") a couple months ago that was pretty rough in comparison and needed lock work for the same amount. I passed...FWIW, Dennis

Suncoast

Bearcat
Well...not quite as interesting as I had hoped. The gun is a Super Blackhawk. 10.5 inch barrel blued specimen. Darn near flawless though. Serial # is 83-157XX. They have a $495 pricetag on it.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
That's a bummer, a New Model.

If it's any consolation, the 10.5" S410N NM Super is kind of rare. That would be the one with the tapered barrel and ramp front sight. They were replaced by the bull barrel hooked sight S411N. Not as rare as the stainless KS410N which was in production for a shorter period before the KS411N took its place.

$495 would be OK if it has the box.