Stock and barrel question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pabovine

Bearcat
Short and sweet. Anyone heard of hidesertdog barrels? I'm looking at threaded bull barrel and they offer the thread lenght in .475 for 5$ more.Whats the big deal on free floating. Looks to be hard on reciever. Stock, I am looking at Boyd Blaster, mainly because I am not sure about free float. Gunsmith suggested mounting optics and stock to barrrel, sound good? General plinking and squirrel/rabbit hunting. Thanks.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Free floating removes the contact of anything along the bbl which could cause vibration when fired, thus causing inconsistant performance. Many cry "barrel droop" but in 6 or 7 I've built, I've yet to have any drooping issues. There is a aftermarket bbl clamp which replaces the factory one that has upward screws to give tension to the bbl.
The Blaster is a good stock for most shooting styles. I have 4 or so in that style.
Mount the optics and stock to the bbl? Well, I've seen the bbl mounted optics but not sure about this bbl mounted stock. Got me confuzeled on that one. Anyways, the bbl mounted optic thing was a big thing a while back but it's oooooohhh & ahhh factor faded and most have returned to the traditional manner on the receiver.
As or Hi DesertDog bbls, I've never heard so I checked their site. Looks like they sell Green Mountain bbls which are THE best bang for your buck in 10/22 bbls. The others ones I saw, the spiral fluted ones are ER Shaw made as they have the patent on that spiral fluting design. The one of those I have is in a 10/17M2 conversion I did and so far has a great shooter.

Question...is the threaded end actually going to be used for a useful purpose (suppressor) or just for saying it's threaded?

For anything 10/22, try doing a search on RimfireCentral.com If it's 10/22, it's been asked and answered over and over at RFC.

pabovine

Bearcat
Yeah, the barrel droop as you call it is what i was thinking about, while taking apart for inspection, thats the first thing I thought of. Then when i started looking at stocks, the free float came to mind and i remembered that droop idea and got me to wondering again. Already planned on that new barrel clamp when i saw it, for any way I go, just can't remember where i saw it.
The gunsmith told me about the barrel, stock ,optic idea. Thats what He did(I believe He put a screw into barrel through stock, or something).
The Hidesertdog barrels were the ones I was looking at. That said, are the ER Shaw barrels better or should I go with the GM barrel. The 16" stainless spiral was what I was looking at.
I will be using a YHM stainless Mite.( thats why I need the .475 thread length.) Thanks.

Latest posts