Still waiting on Marlins

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
Why wait on new Marlins? Buy an original JM in decent shape and try to wear it out. Probably be better satisfied anyway.
Even better, buy a Miroku Winchester.

Attachments

• Model-94-Short-Rifle-MID-534174-hr.jpg
    Model-94-Short-Rifle-MID-534174-hr.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 63

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Do not have any use for the big loop lever. Hope they do start making the model 39A in rifle and Mountie models. One of the best 22 rifles ever!!!!!!
Oh I have that covered too. My 39A is from the same year as my 336RC...1951. Yes, they're both older than me and better than anything that can be mass-produced at a decent price today.

ADBCB820-22-EB-4977-AA6-B-B497-D2744185.jpg

I've got 'em in all configurations. My favorite is still a straight grip with a straight lever. That said, I seldom shoot them. My SBLR with the medium-large loop is far easier to use. And it's stainless. Also not my favorite for looks, but by far my preference for actual use.

And the plywood stock and forend, as well as the Texas-length mall ninja rail? Not my favorite either, but for now, seems we have no other choice.
Why blame Texas for the dumb rail?

57springer

Buckeye
I to am wondering if there will ever be any new marlin 22s . ? I am thinking Ruger wanted the centerfire levers and nothing more ?

Rocdoc

Buckeye
what I like in lever gun: 16 inch, peep site, stainless, laminate,big loop Ican take/leave, 45-70 never had one but need it. Smallish grizzlies, BIG mean Moose roam our property NE ID, me or momma need to ride shotgun when puppies visit their corrals to do their business.I got pretty guns to look at, and guns that we use, sleds, atvs, trail rider where you dont care what happens as lomg as we live throunh mishap.

Last edited:

ssqman

Bearcat
No one misses the boat if Ruger's version of the 39A is like their version of the 1895.
Meaning big loop, stainless, laminate? The big loops I can do without on all the levers. With shorter armlengths like mine, only your fingertips are touching the lever when it's fully open.

Swampbilly_2

Single-Sixer
They are expensive. I'm not paying Gunbroker prices. I hope they become more available at MSRP or lower prices. I also would like them to offer the same models in non-big loop levers.

I was STUNNED when Remington took the Marlin 39A 22 caliber lever actions...one of their top selling rifles of all time...and ended its production...making it a custom shop ONLY option, at around $3,000 !!
A rifle that commonly sold, before the Remington buyout, at around $550. Insanity...

RC44Mag

Buckeye
About 3 years ago I had the itch to get a 30-30 lever and preferred Marlin to Winchester so I bought a 336 custom from an online shop. I was gambling somewhat getting a Remlin but I've talked to a few people who got later production rifles and they were happy. When it came I was very pleased with the fit of wood to metal, bluing and function. The trigger action was a little stiff so I lubed it and sat in from of the tv just working the action for about an hour or so and it loosened up beautifully. It's as accurate as any lever I've used with iron sights.

hittman

Staff member
Us regular folks CAN order one without much problem unless you consider the waiting time.

I was lucky to get my SFAR earlier this week.
I talked with 3 local stores in my area looking for one. They all told me the same thing. Their supplier made them also buy 3 Wranglers and a couple of LCP-IIs to get the new SFAR. Now, whether or not this is Ruger approved or Ruger mandated or just a way for the wholesaler to get rid of more plentiful or less desirable inventory …. I don't know.

But I find it hard to believe 3 different retailers told me the same story if it wasn't true.

GaCop103

Bearcat
Why wait on new Marlins? Buy an original JM in decent shape and try to wear it out. Probably be better satisfied anyway.
Here in central Georgia, just try finding an original "JM" 30-30 that's not selling for $1200. I've seen one of the new Ruglins and wasn't impress with the rifle overall or the price tag of $1300. I do like they're Ballard rifled instead of the old Micro groove.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Here in central Georgia, just try finding an original "JM" 30-30 that's not selling for $1200. I've seen one of the new Ruglins and wasn't impress with the rifle overall or the price tag of $1300. I do like they're Ballard rifled instead of the old Micro groove.
Some of us have Marlins old enough to have Ballard rifling. My 336RC does. It also has a normal length barrel, walnut furniture, blued steel, no plastic other than the butt plate, a normal sized loop, and no rail.